Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I think it's rugbys greatest shame that they are neglecting the pacific island teams, for example only 3 of Fiji's many european based players played against Wales because Fiji can't pay them.
    If they were allowed to compete in the Super 12 it would make a huge difference, or perhaps a combined Pacific Islands team could join the Tri-Nations. If they continue to be neglected, they will just keep getting beaten (see NZ beat Fiji 91-0 a few months ago) and rugby will die out there. They have fantastic players and their talent should be developed.

ReputationRep:
    I agree. Colly for the IRB (I think)!

ReputationRep:
    hmmm...rugby sevens will never die out in the pacific islands!
    But, if NZ would stop raping the islands for players it would make the competition so much better - image those teams with sivivatu, rocokoko and lomu playing! :eek:
    Your ideas do sound commendable to that aspect though - would be worth a spectate!

ReputationRep:
    So New Zealand is a bit like Holland then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    are you talking round ball rubbish or something again?

ReputationRep:
    It's about football yes.

ReputationRep:
    bleurgh! gerrout!
    fair enough - if that is what holland do, then, yes! that is like holland.

ReputationRep:
    Not rugby sevens I agree, but rugby proper is in danger. The thing about 7s is that it doesnt require the same level of coaching (no scrums, lineouts) so it is easier for the pacific islands to play, and their game is naturally suited to it.
    But there's no reason they can't take their natural flair, refine it, add some discipline, and become one of the best teams in the world, if they were given the opportunity by the other rugby-playing nations.
    --------------
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Or France.

ReputationRep:
    exactly - a good example of this is Brian Lima - he is a fantastic sevens player, and is considered by many as one of the best wingers in the world - despite his age...

ReputationRep:
    I was gutted about Lima. He came to Munster (my fav. club) last season on a short-term contract for the knock-out stages of the Heineken Cup, but then got injured and never played a game. Gutted! Some of his hits are insane, no wonder they call him "the chiropractor"

ReputationRep:
    I know! he's an absolute beast!
    did you see him in the North vs. South game for the tsunami thing? what a beast!
    coincidentally...my favourite rugby photo...

ReputationRep:
    gotta hurt, thats like 16 stone running on his face :eek:

ReputationRep:
    lomu was 18 stone...i've felt that on my shoulder and I felt like i was dying - so I cant imagine what that guy was thinking!
    That is the reason the churchill cup is so unfair - you cant let lomu loose on the canadians!

Then again - you could have said the same about the england front 5 against aussieland today - was truly awesome!

ReputationRep:
    Just wait till the All Blacks come to Twickers and you'll see what a real game of rugby is like. Australia are pretty poor at the moment to be honest. England were okay but not great; great pack performance but the centres were hopeless (told you that they lacked attacking flair) and Tindall missed too many tackles for a supposed "big-hitting" centre.
    ABs by 20.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm - I only say the highlights (I HATE sky...)
    Well - I did see a couple of missed tackles by tindall, but if he gets back on his form that would be awesome! and obviously a big boost for the team.
    It would be good to see him doing some kicking again too - if you remember the world cup final his long kicks for touch were the best of that day.
    I think the pack dominance could be a massive impact if england can dictate the game though - force the AB's to play a game they dont want to.
    Man for man I think they have them in the forwards - I personally think moody nullified mccaw in the lions...
    Anyway - will still be interesting to watch - I think england will come close, maybe lose by 10...but, then again - england games are very rarely high scoring....

ReputationRep:
    ABs have some serious selection headaches after two fantastic performances by totally different teams. My XV would probably be

Woodcock, Oliver, Hayman, Jack, Williams, Collins, McCaw, So'oialo, Weepu, Carter, Howlett, Mauger/Nonu, Umaga, Gear, Mulai'ina

England might have a slight advantage in the tight five, but I think ABs have the edge everywhere else. Moody/McCaw will be an interesting tussle but Moody needs to be careful, if he gets sinbinned against the ABs they will take full advantage of the extra man.

ReputationRep:
    hmm....out of the pack I wouldn't be able to tell about the props, but oliver looked good.
    The other 5 are what I would choose too...but I would rather have Marty Holah on the bench....
    I am also unsure about the backs - I wouldn't put Umaga on the team - he spilled so much ball in the wales test...
    I would also love to see howlett there, and sitivatu/rocokoko there too (admit it - they are clones of each other! both look identical, same running style, step and pirouette!)

The moody binning was something I wouldn't criticise him for - he did that and stopped a try, and, as i said, the england defence is very good, so they would rather lose someone for 10 than concede seven - I dont think they would concede significantly more than this in the 10....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fr_browne)
    how the hell is he boring? Please explain.
    1. By his age men's tennis players if they are going to be successful are already in the top 10 and challenging for grand slam tounaments! The 3rd Round at Wimbledon does not count as challenging and neither does 66th in the world! example of young successful player is Rafeal Nadal last French open, Leyton Hewitt in 2002 i think when he won wimbledon.

2. What interesting thing does he do on the court! he has not got the passion of 'leyton hewitt' though like to copy him "come oonnnnn" mind u most players seem to copy him! I'm not asking for a McEnroe performance but something excentric to show and entertain woudl be nicE??

3. He has no wonderful shot (e.g Justine Henin-Hardenne Backhand) to watch just plain bland!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wing.)
    just moved to london not so long ago and want to keep playing. so if anyone fancies a game soemtime then let me know.

i am a 21 year old male, living in north kensington. dont mind playing male or female. (but i rather not play anyone who is under 18 or over 30 - hope i'm not being ageist. hehe!)

it would be nice if you know somewhere to play also that are not too far awy from tube stations.

looking forward to hearing from you.

wing
    where in London are you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrColin)
    where in London are you?
    north kensington

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.