Turn on thread page Beta

I know there's a prediction thread about this, but this ones just to talk about the series as it goes along.

Looks like Ebgland are off to a good start, getting them down to a very low total considering the wicket, and then Tresco doing so well. Hopefully we'll get a lead of a couple of hundred, get them out for not much more, and quickly knock off the rest....

Or maybe Pakistan can bat it out in their second innings.

Why is Afridi not playing, is he injured?

ReputationRep:
    Nope, Afridi was just left out. One of those bizarre decisions, he's one of their best players and the keep leaving him out of the test side.

Not a great deal to say about the game from what I've seen so far, we bowled well and are batting better than they did. We should win easily because we're a much better team. Simple as that.

(Original post by Zurich)
    Nope, Afridi was just left out. One of those bizarre decisions, he's one of their best players and the keep leaving him out of the test side.

Not a great deal to say about the game from what I've seen so far, we bowled well and are batting better than they did. We should win easily because we're a much better team. Simple as that.
    Maybe they think he's too attacking for test matches or something? But he's useful because he's a spinner as well, and it would help their huge tail problem.

ReputationRep:
    This is my favourite rugby photo - http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/3...goal_getty.jpg

ReputationRep:
    What it doesn't say is that he missed 3 drop goals before he scored that one

ReputationRep:
    yea - but he got the one that really mattered!
    Mike Catt also missed one too....

ReputationRep:
    true. I saw that Jason Robinson scored a dg for sale during the week, i was shocked, I didn't think he could kick a ball!

ReputationRep:
    meh - dg's are pretty easy if your in the right place - but robinson developed his kicking - if you look again at englands world cup stuff he kicking was really good...
    its just that every time he did you were instantly overcome by the disappointment that he hadn't run it!

ReputationRep:
    It's all about the J-shape technique.

ReputationRep:
    www.wwe.com

ReputationRep:
    again already a thread on this. Use the search facility

ReputationRep:
    hes a brilliant player, he just needs to maintain his fitness. And the nalbandian match at wimbeldon was absolutely brilliant.
    hes one of the most interesting players in recent times. especially when compared to someone like roddick.[/QUOTE]

Brilliant is he? that is why he has won so many top level tournements & grand slams???

Roddick has a serve and forehand to marval at.....Andy Murray has a average forehand in companison and a ankle strapped up!!! whats more interesting?

The only thing that has got Andy Murray in the 'interesting' braket is the english media and our high hopes that we might get a average tennis player to win wimbledon! fat chance!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wing.)
    north kensington
    Classy, alright!

ReputationRep:
    Pakistan haven't seemd to be too brilliant. England are doing well and better not have a batting collapse. Nice tosee Bell actually getting some decent runs in. Hope that continues. Would be nice to see Pieterson and Flintoff get at least half centuriesas at least Pieterson has not shone so far in the warm-ups, but then again, neither had Bell.
    Hopefully, England will bat Pakistan outof the game now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrColin)
    1. By his age men's tennis players if they are going to be successful are already in the top 10 and challenging for grand slam tounaments! The 3rd Round at Wimbledon does not count as challenging and neither does 66th in the world! example of young successful player is Rafeal Nadal last French open, Leyton Hewitt in 2002 i think when he won wimbledon.

2. What interesting thing does he do on the court! he has not got the passion of 'leyton hewitt' though like to copy him "come oonnnnn" mind u most players seem to copy him! I'm not asking for a McEnroe performance but something excentric to show and entertain woudl be nicE??

3. He has no wonderful shot (e.g Justine Henin-Hardenne Backhand) to watch just plain bland!
    Complete rubbish. 'By his age men's tennis players if they are going to be successful are already in the top 10 and challenging for grand slam tounaments!' He is 18. Federer and Hewitt were not challenging for grand-slams at 18 nor in the top 10. Not even the great Sampras was at 18. Tennis players tend to develop after reaching 20 when their bodies are fully grown, Nadal is an exception to this.

2. Most people dont copy Hewitt infact. It actually annoys me when Hewitt shouts 'come on'. The tennis is entertaining, it doesnt need someone giving it all mouth. Federer is relatively quiet on court yet I would rather watch him above any tennis player. Murray has actually stopped the 'come on' shouts now for the record.
    --------------

Brilliant is he? that is why he has won so many top level tournements & grand slams???

Roddick has a serve and forehand to marval at.....Andy Murray has a average forehand in companison and a ankle strapped up!!! whats more interesting?

The only thing that has got Andy Murray in the 'interesting' braket is the english media and our high hopes that we might get a average tennis player to win wimbledon! fat chance!!!
    He is just coming into the picture, he isnt brilliant yet but has the potential for sure. Watching Roddick isnt something to marvel at, he is a one shot wonder and without his serve wouldnt be in the top 50. His groundstrokes are dire. I do agree with you about the media and people who follow tennis once a year at wimbledon thinking that the home players have a chance, bloody annoying.

ReputationRep:

Andy Roddicks game plan: try and serve the ball as fast as you can and hit as hard as possible.

BRILLIANT

(Original post by Xenon)
    Pakistan haven't seemd to be too brilliant. England are doing well and better not have a batting collapse. Nice tosee Bell actually getting some decent runs in. Hope that continues. Would be nice to see Pieterson and Flintoff get at least half centuriesas at least Pieterson has not shone so far in the warm-ups, but then again, neither had Bell.
    Hopefully, England will bat Pakistan outof the game now.
    I was always for keeping Bell in the side, and giving him more chances. You can hardly shove a new player in vs Aussies and say he's bad if he gets some bad scores.

Hes shown he can actually bat against any other team.

We probably wont last much longer with Jones and Giles in now, though Giles is ok with the bat. We could have had more of a lead then this to be honest, it's still very handy, but it could have been more like 250 at one stage...

Edit - looks like we're all out, didn't take long to clean up our tail. 418, can't be bothered with serious maths but that's somewhere between 150 and 200 ahead...

Hopefully we'll only need to chase 100 or so, and can knock it off easily. But knowing us it'll be 9 wickets down before scraping it with our tailenders.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know where I can get a decent cheap poster of the legend?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    ebay?

ReputationRep:
    pakistan are paying the price for leaving out a super in form afridi.

shoaib akter said he belives pakistan can still win if they get a 200 lead, he will be able to bowl england out.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.