Turn on thread page Beta

Archive SPTM/0003/REC/HPOO watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rooftopcowboy)
    ah yes the famous final with 1 try, was a right exciting game that :rolleyes:
    More tries doesn't necessarily make it exciting, at least for me anyway.

1 try!, id demand my ticket money back!
    To be fair, from what I've noticed Union usually has more tries than League certainly for the international level.

I can only just bare top level RU, but even some of the guiness premiership is dire, just fat men jumping on each other...give me rugby league anyday (except for our appaling Great Britain side lets forget they exist!)
    I'm quite happy to admit that the Zurich Premiership is pretty dire but this country doesn't seem to market Union very well. Compare it to football and you will see that Union is pretty inferior but when you compare that to their respective popularities, there isn't that much of a difference between the two. I think this has been addressed by figures in the sport.

ReputationRep:
    ive never played, would like 2 tho, but its expensive isnt it?

ReputationRep:
    Only been a few times, was amazing though so i'd love to go again.

ReputationRep:
    Its the poor ******* relation of Airsoft. No thanks

ReputationRep:
    id say that union's 'sucess' and media image is the strength of their international game, nothing excites the media more than England or the Lions playing big games...this is RL's downfall, the Great Britain side has been in disarray for years...they pick the wrong players (superleagues top try scorer was left out for example) and that in turn disenheartens even the biggest RL fans, as we all want to see the best players get their chance, not just 'jobs for the boys' where big name players are in the team no matter what.

But i would say that domestically RL is better than RU, the superleague is a far better marketed and exciting product IMO.

id say that both codes are as popular as each other, and if they did merge (god forbid) they would be as popular as football, as youd have teams from all over the country.

as i said the IMO the reason RU gets more press coverage is due to the international game, RL has made stupid decisions in the past...like why havent we ever built our own national stadium? and lets not even the discuss the 2000 world cup! games like Australia 110-russia 5 i think it was.

i dont hate rugby union, and find some of the games interesting...ive just been brought up on a diet of RL...living in Hull means you know RL inside out from about age 3, its everywhere, as im sure is the same case with RU down south.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperflyTV.com)
    Any ballers out there? where u from? who u play with etc?
    played about 8 times, I usually go with a few friends, but there will be other people there so they'll just put you into teams. (There are quite a lot of other people, the other groups play at the same time but at different sites). I've been there twice with about 60 people from my year, because we went on a day where we didn't have school, but others did, we got the whole site to our selves (its better when its just with the people you know, just so much more satisfying when you kick their arses!)

Also I've been shot pointblank on my head, my friend thought it would be funny to shoot my head closeup.

Btw I go to delta force in hemel

ReputationRep:
    Been once, loved it. Will be doing it again as soon as possible

ReputationRep:
    But i would say that domestically RL is better than RU, the superleague is a far better marketed...
    Yes.

id say that both codes are as popular as each other, and if they did merge (god forbid) they would be as popular as football.
    No.[/$0.02]

ReputationRep:
    why dont you think the two codes are as popular? both top flight divisions average similar crowds (superleague has more of a gap between top and bottom attendences though, if teams like Salford got their acts sorted this would shoot up (ironic when mentioning salford i know! lol)

Id say they are around equal in popularity, just in different parts of the country, in many places in the North the average joe in the street could maybe name 5 RU players, and im sure the situation would be the same down south with regard RL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benrawie)
    well im sure we would take the morale high ground if we were winning....
    If we still lost despite of this - the signs are ominious - the last 9 times Inzamam has made a hundred, Pakistan have gone on to win - it doesn't bode too well for the image of cricket in general. There's a good piece in the Daily Mail about it today.

--------------

(Original post by shaby)
    but i guess cheating is in all english peoples blood.
    That statement is unacceptable, and is no better than Christopher Martin Jenkins in the Times saying that Afridi's Pathan roots are to blame for his antics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twaffy)
    I think it costs something like £5, and as long as you want but the Cardiff Devils have training a lot so they have sessions about 3 or 4 hours long you can ice skate. I'm not entirely sure though.
    Cool thanks. I went to the outdoor winterwonderland one the other day, that costs £7 for an hour!! But it is very fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shaby)
    maybe you need glasses, cos even your fellow white men admitted at sky sports addmited he knew it hit the ground and it cleary did. Looking at his face after the catch it was pretty obvious he knew it hit the ground, and yes i know its up to the umpires and third umpires to give it out, but he should have be banned after just like rashid latif was.
    He knew it? Oh really, well I'm glad TV commentators are always right. Just how Paul Allott was clearly 'right' about Salman Butt being run out when he clearly wasn't out. Looking at Bell's face after the catch it was pretty obvious he wasn't sure, it's not as if he went mental upon catching the ball, he threw it up in the air and turned round to the umpire who gave Yousuf out. In fact, in general, facial expressions rarely tend to be 'pretty obvious'. If you feel that Ian Bell really should be suspended, I'd suggest going to bobwoolmer.com, and urging him and the PCB to file an official complaint regarding the situation and see if they feel it's worth taking further. If you do that, I'll email the ECB complaining about Michael Clarke's catch at leg slip off Andrew Strauss in the 5th test, which probably hit the ground just as it reached him, yet Strauss was given out.

throwing at the batsmen has been going on for years but that is when the batsmen is out of the crease, inzi here was cleary standing behind his crease what was the need to throw the ball like i said pakistan thrashing england obvioulsy really frustrated them.
    Actually, if you look back, the batsmen is rarely out of his crease when the ball is thrown. Merv Hughes for instance was notorious for it, and while that's reeling back the years a bit, chucking it at the stumps to unsettle the batsmen isn't anything new. Regarding your frustration comment, well it's not as if frustration isn't a perfectly normal thing for a person to experience in a stressful situation. It's not as if all cricketers do not do stupid things when frustrated. How many times have you seen batsmen play needless shots when under the influence of frustration? As a batsmen you can hit the ball for four, and while throwing the ball at the batsmen may not be the best way of dealing with your frustration, I don't feel it's the worst way either, it's cricket, it's not a game for the faint hearted.

and yes your right its a professional sport so act professional, a teaparty has nothing to do with acting professional, there was no tea party when gilly walked off in world cup after been given not out, or when ponting was given out when he was given a bad decison and attaptu called him back.
    What Gilchrist and Atapattu choose to do is up to those two men only. Captains are not expected to enforce the laws of the game, the umpires are. Just because Gilchrist chooses to walk when he's given out makes him no better a cricketer than Langer, someone whose hesitant to walk even when he's missing half his furniture. While I think respect can be given for the fact that people choose to walk, call batsmen back, it's not something I'd personally enforce upon people, and most batsmen do not walk unless it's absolutely obvious they are out. You cannot expect every cricketer in the world to adhere to the standards made by individual players, so to hold Michael Vaughan responsible for an umpiring decision is both illogical and irrational.

so act professional and show some good sportsmenship, but i guess cheating is in all english peoples blood.
    Wow, maybe that would make sense were I actually of English descent. I guess you didn't think that far ahead? The most ironic thing is, you accuse the English of being cheaters when it certainly wasn't an Englishman who decided to create some new footmarks on a length in front of the stumps during a break in play. It wasn't an Englishman who gave Inzamam run out. It wasn't an Englishman who gave Yousuf out. You call the English team cheaters yet fail to realise that every event which you cite as being one of English cheating has actually been a case of poor umpiring. The only individual cheating during this match, or even tour so far, has been carried out by Shahid Afridi, and I think it would be wise to clean up your own team's behaviour before complaining about the others.

ReputationRep:
    Controversy Like it or Not Seems destined to continue !

Draw seems the favoured result now which is bad for England, 2 whole days left its going to be hard to force a win,as bowling a side out in a day on that pitch is not easy ! But all three results may still occur the fascination continues !

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got links to the delivery that got Flintoff and the 2 consequtive deliveries that KP smacked for 6 and then got out !
    Fascinating

ReputationRep:
    They had the clips in rotation on Sky News at least.

ReputationRep:
    Not Good Enough !

ReputationRep:
    Even if you combined both codes of rugby it still will be less popular than football in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Even if you combined both codes of rugby it still will be less popular than football in my opinion.
    it would if they just stuck them together, i was more thinking if theyd never split up.

I reckon at least at toplevel (i admit football has far far superior lower divisions) 'rugby' would compete.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    Gothic?

Bet it's not the same as early-late 90's. He's one person who was better in early 90's then later...

He must be old now as well! :eek:
    Yeah gothic its very good even had paul bearer back for a few months,

ReputationRep:
    well personally i think that ilie nastase(a romanian tennis player,used to be very good,now he's 60) and someone else but i can't remember his name i think he's from Croatia...Ivanisevic....i think...used to express themselves a lot!...one could really see how these guy were reacting to certain situations....

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.