Archive SPTM/0003/REC/HPOO Watch

This discussion is closed.
Economist
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I presume you mean the way that Murray wears a ankle support to gain sympathy when he get tired on court???

where have you go this idea that Murray expresses himself on court? the english media??
' Murray wears a ankle support to gain sympathy when he get tired on court'

What just like Federer did in the masters? Do you know anything about tennis?
Admittedly he isnt as expressive as he was during Wimbledon and Queens but there is a reason for that.
tis_me_lord
Badges: 14
Report 13 years ago
Well done to Englands tail, even Harmie got to a 49 partnership! He got more then Strauss, Vaughn and Flintoff combined. :p: :eek:

Got 6 wickets, and they're just 199 ahead, so we're actually in this thing now! Haven't seen highlights, but must have been good bowling. Inzaman still in, and in the 40's so he's still a danger, but Afridi bowled out first bowl is great news, and justice. He doesn't deserve to play and impact this game if he's going to scuff up the pitch. It's a shame it wasn't Giles that bowled him out by using the marks he'd made! I guess that would require us having a decent spinner. :rolleyes:

It could be any of the 3 results now. Pakistan have a vulnerable tail, so they stand a good chance of being out within the morning session, and then it's game on. Lets hope we bat better in the second innings then in the first match. I think Pietersen, Flintoff etc have learnt from their mistake...
Iscariot
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
England will need at least 50-70 overs to chase down 250 so I think England will really need to skittle the Pakistan tail tomorrow within 10-30 overs.
pete77
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The Key is getting Inzamam early, while he is around runs will come !

If they post 250 and play for at least 2 hrs then its going to be hard for Eng to win considering the overs lost daily ! However, their bowling might come off again if England choose to bat as they did in the first test giving them a 2-0 decider, or KP, Flintoff and co may have their aproach successful and knock off the runs to leave it at 1-1 !

Fascinating got to wake up at 415am definitly tommorow !
Iscariot
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You don't even need Inzamam out, while obviously he is a treasured scalp, you can just do your best to bowl out the batsmen at the other end. I'll probably live to regret saying this, but Hasan, Sami, Akthar and Kaneria don't make for the most resilient tail end.
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I agree that as a tail they aren't good - but having inzamam at the other end will be a massive boost - obviously pakistan are unlikely to be playing for the win now, considering their batting form today being less than they would have wanted, but if you have someone who can play aswell as him he can easily harvest the strike and keep the weaker batsmen away from the bowlers - look at brett lee in the ashes for example.
If you get rid of him, you will have the supposedly weak players at both ends, so every ball will be given more potential of a wicket.
pete77
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by bikerx23)
I agree that as a tail they aren't good - but having inzamam at the other end will be a massive boost - obviously pakistan are unlikely to be playing for the win now, considering their batting form today being less than they would have wanted, but if you have someone who can play aswell as him he can easily harvest the strike and keep the weaker batsmen away from the bowlers - look at brett lee in the ashes for example.
If you get rid of him, you will have the supposedly weak players at both ends, so every ball will be given more potential of a wicket.
Seems like if Eng bowl out Pak early they will go for the win and their heroics on the last day of test 1 cause they will not have many other options ! Eng failed to chase 174 on the last day this time its already 200 to chase dont know how much this pitch is going to spin may be more with Afridis manoveres ! Anyone know the state of the pitch :rolleyes: !
Socrates
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
England have always bounced back from defeat in the very next test match.
Pakistan have won the last nine times Inzamam has made a century.

So by the looks of it, both teams will be going for the win.

If Eng are set 250 to win, they will have to go for the win - to level the series.

If they go for the win, there is risk involved. Pakistan may capitalise on that.

All in all, a highly intriguing day's play to come.

I'll probably live to regret saying this, but Hasan, Sami, Akthar and Kaneria don't make for the most resilient tail end.
They didn't do too badly in the first innings, with three of them into double figures and Rana Navedul Hasan playing some good shots - scored 139 for Sussex just recently - so he can bat.

Still, England will be looking to bowl out Pakistan quickly, and Pakistan will look to Akhtar, and then Kaneria & Afridi to do the damage.

Despite his pitch antics, Afridi is the most likely candidate for MoM, unless someone else comes up with an amazing performance tomorrow.
ledzep15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
man, dont get all ******* but i think umpires tend to pick on pakistanis!

--------------

especially darryl hair
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
hmmm... I would be tempted if I were England to jig the batting line up - put some big hitters out early, and then leave the people like tresco, strauss until 4/5, so if they fall to quickly they will have the dependable batters to steady the boat...
ofcourse - this is never going to happen, but it would just be so good to see!

--------------

(Original post by Socrates)
Despite his pitch antics, Afridi is the most likely candidate for MoM, unless someone else comes up with an amazing performance tomorrow.
Its exactly because of his pitch antics that he cannot get it in my opinion - doesn't matter how good a player you are, if you cheat, you obviously dont think you're good enough
Also...golden duck in the second innings...will have to wait and see on his bowling figures - if pakistan wins and he takes a good haul, he will be favourite, but cannot be given it.
pete77
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeh True umpires do seem to be harsh to them !

Yes Rana can bat as can Inzamam !

Getting one of them early is crucial but Shoaib depending on his mood can hang around or even hit out ! Sami seems to get out early but may stick around ! Kaneria will come and go ! SO the tail doesnt seem too bad ! Although with good bowling it may be !
sierraleone
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Umpires make bad decisions, it happens. Pakistan, like every other team get their fair share of luck. I remember a test in England where England were bowled out by the Pakistanis on the last day but 4 of the dismissals were off no-balls. Something like that anyway. Then again what with the match fixing scandals, who knows!

Should be an interesting last day, England could capitulate again and lose but I think at the moment it's heading for a draw. I think Salman Butt was pretty right in thinking another 60 runs and they'd be safe, but anything less and England have a decent shot.
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think the one you're referring to is Umpire Shepherds "bad day at the office", where he gave 3 Englanders out being clean-bowled off oversteps...This was in the days before neutral umpires aswell...
I cant remember who the match was against.etc., but It was one of the asian teams, and I think it was away aswell - but, yea - mistakes are made...
as people have said - the Imzamam one in the first innings should not have happened, but except that, they haven't been too bad.
james101
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Does anyone know the official sizes that the pitches should be?

I have been looking but couldn't find anything.

Thanks
Iscariot
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by skd180)
Umpires make bad decisions, it happens. Pakistan, like every other team get their fair share of luck. I remember a test in England where England were bowled out by the Pakistanis on the last day but 4 of the dismissals were off no-balls. Something like that anyway. Then again what with the match fixing scandals, who knows!
Yeah, umpire David Shepherd gave 3 wickets to Saqlain Mushtaq off no-balls that day.

I don't think the umpiring has been terrible, definately not a good game for the umpires, but such is the game.

Also, whoever said we should move Trescothick and Strauss down the order, both of those players are capable of absolutely hammering it around the park on their day. Trescothick has been one of England's few consistant one day batsmen, and Strauss scored a well paced 100+ against Australia.

I wouldn't be surprised if Inzamam or Flintoff gets the man of the match award. It depends on the result really, if Inzamam makes runs tomorrow then he's an obvious candidate, if Flintoff takes 4 wickets and scores 60 then he's a candidate. Also worth considering Ian Bell who got a ton in the first innings, same with Pietersen.
pete77
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Umpiring has been pretty bad to be honest !

Inzamam's decision was reckless to say the least !
What about Bell's catch ! I know hard to make out but they say benefit of the doubt goes to the batsman doesnt seem to these days !

What about Butt getting out for having to play a 7th ball in an over cause he ran on the pitch, Now that doesnt usually happen ! They seem to have been pretty unlucky !
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yes - my comment about strauss and tresco moving down was not relating to their ability to hit out, but the fact that it would be more beneficial to have them lower down the order incase they are required to steady the ship following a quick fall of wickets - which you cannot deny their being more able to do so than the middle order.
pete77
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by bikerx23)
Yes - my comment about strauss and tresco moving down was not relating to their ability to hit out, but the fact that it would be more beneficial to have them lower down the order incase they are required to steady the ship following a quick fall of wickets - which you cannot deny their being more able to do so than the middle order.

The steadying of the ship and accumulating of runs begins from the top not the middle or bottom !

You are suggesting having KP and Flintoff to come and face Akthar, Sami and Naved and risk getting out by their aggressive approach so that the top order comes in to play the new ball anyway !

No sense in that No sense ! :eek:
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
hehe - if you wanted to chase a big total relatively quickly it would be worth a go in my opinion - after all, england have to win this game in order to win this series - and that is their main objective, but if it doesn't go to plan atleast your not going to lose the game - getting to the middle order and having the guys not playing their normal game would be restrictive and making them more likely to get out to bad shots.
Colly
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
http://www.irb.com/NR/rdonlyres/85CE...enlaw12005.pdf

2nd page gives dimensions of a pitch.

--------------

Essentially it can't be more than 100m long (not including try zones) or more than 70m wide.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (362)
37.47%
No - but I will (74)
7.66%
No - I don't want to (67)
6.94%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (463)
47.93%

Watched Threads