The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

bikerx23
No - I know it is up to the adjudicators, but surely the fact he cheated would be a detriment against him too great to be overtuned no matter how well he played.
Yes - england HAVE to win.

I dunno - remains to be seen I suppose. He has apologised and has expressed regret at what he did, and I suppose he's gonna go 150% now that he won't be playing the next test.

I dont think changing the order is a good idea personally.
Reply 7721
If Pak hang around for most of the morning session and not score many runs then looks like the over rate is going down as it did in Karachi ! Batting may be occuring in darkness !

Potentially more controversy to come !

Fascinating !
tis_me_lord
You make it sound like Tresco plays like Hussian. He's quick, maybe not ridicilously so like Afridi, but more then quick enough.

The only thing I'd consider changing is having Bell number 3 instead of 4, and that's simply because he's less likely to get out, thus making less pressure if he puts in a decent knock again.

I dunno...tresco's very good, but with his technique (specifically footwork), I would bet against him being able to score consistently at a run a ball, as could be required of him, especially facing test quality bowlers.
He is a fantastic player, and his best skill is leaving the bad balls, and scoring off the terrible ones - obviously you would rather people were playing their natural games in such a high pressure situation.
I would agree with moving bell up...although he's a pretty slow batsman aswell...
bikerx23
I dunno...tresco's very good, but with his technique (specifically footwork), I would bet against him being able to score consistently at a run a ball, as could be required of him, especially facing test quality bowlers.
He is a fantastic player, and his best skill is leaving the bad balls, and scoring off the terrible ones - obviously you would rather people were playing their natural games in such a high pressure situation.
I would agree with moving bell up...although he's a pretty slow batsman aswell...

Tresco can go a run a ball! I'd say he's our third fastest scorer.... behind the obvious first two. But then he doesn't get out as stupidly.

Bell is slow, so that change depends on how soon we get them out, if not till lunch then maybe keep him fourth, but openers should stay the same. :p:
tis_me_lord
Tresco can go a run a ball! I'd say he's our third fastest scorer.... behind the obvious first two. But then he doesn't get out as stupidly.

Yep. He has a strike rate of around 88 in ODIs. So he can score quick.
hmm...I would say jones was a faster scorer aswell - his game is naturally very aggresive.
In more of my amazing line up changes...bell in at 7! :biggrin:
Reply 7726
bikerx23
hmm...I would say jones was a faster scorer aswell - his game is naturally very aggresive.

He is Not Experienced enough !

More Hit & Miss !

Tres is much more Quality Assured ! :biggrin:
bikerx23

I wonder if we would have won the Ashes if you were the coach :p:
bikerx23

But we shouldn't open with somebody with his average, and the obvious weakness of being bowled off stump. Shoiab would take full advantage. Besides, as just said... 88 strike rate in ODI's, Tresco probably is faster than Jones.

He made his 193 off about 300 balls, and that's without particulary trying to go quick. I'd say 66 strike rate for a total like that in a test is damn fast. When trying to be quick you can bump it up to 80's, 90's... run a ball.
Reply 7729
Socrates
I wonder if we would have won the Ashes if you were the coach :p:

They would have won if i was coach & probably be 1-0 up now !

LOL :biggrin:
I would not have done this had I been the ashes coach, but then we weren't in this position of chasing a high total in a short period of time.
Personally Bell does not impress me - granted his performances on this tour have been worthy of a place in the team, but he was gash in the ashes - when we need to keep wickets in hand, he goes first ball to mcgrath.
I agree tresco can score fast...but, then again, KP can score at a strike rate of over 100 - in the ODI's in SA it was up around 130 consistently - you cant argue with that sort of batting! :d
tis_me_lord
Bell is quite young still, and against any other team he'd do better,

Yay. :smile:
show off.
Reply 7733
bikerx23
I would not have done this had I been the ashes coach, but then we weren't in this position of chasing a high total in a short period of time.
Personally Bell does not impress me - granted his performances on this tour have been worthy of a place in the team, but he was gash in the ashes - when we need to keep wickets in hand, he goes first ball to mcgrath.
I agree tresco can score fast...but, then again, KP can score at a strike rate of over 100 - in the ODI's in SA it was up around 130 consistently - you cant argue with that sort of batting! :d

Bell is relatively new to the side !
Ashes were one of his first few series !
Give him Time !

Less experienced & He has done well !

Got Good technique and patience essential for Test Cricket !
umm...the test at lords was KPs first test - he held it together very well.
If Bells was an element of immaturity in test cricket, he shouldn't have been there - considering it is such an important series. If we had lost the ashes I personally would have pointed the finger at him as being one of the major negatives in the series for England.

But you don't want him facing the new ball - middle order players are best kept in the middle order.
bikerx23

How about that fact that Pietersen doesn't understand how to play Pakistan spinners, and it's day 5 on a dusty wicket which Afridi has scuffed up and the Butt/Inzy have run all over?

How can Bell not impress you? I just bumped the ashes thread about Bell, as I was the only one defending him then, and I thought this had proven me right, but people still criticise him. :eek:

He's young, and was facing the best team in the world. Give the guy a break, EVERYONE gets low totals. some people have 99 averages and get ducks in their last game. :wink:

Bell and Tresco are our batsman on form, and to shove them right down the order in place of Pietersen (see first line), Jones (bye bye off stump) and Freddie... one decent innings out of 3.... well, what are you on? :p:
Reply 7737
bikerx23
umm...the test at lords was KPs first test - he held it together very well.
If Bells was an element of immaturity in test cricket, he shouldn't have been there - considering it is such an important series. If we had lost the ashes I personally would have pointed the finger at him as being one of the major negatives in the series for England.

No one suggested immaturity !

Experience of Test Cricket is critical for all players !

Pointing the finger doesnt solve problems its always a team game there will always be people who dont perform whether its Bell or Giles !

Some players have good starts KP for eg some greats have poor series starts before they are used to Test Cricket and capitalise !

You need to stick with your team not chop and change unless absolutely necessary ! KP has had his failures !
I'd also like to mention that a lot of people were critical of Flintoff when he started, he was fat, lazy, and not good enough basically.

But I defended him then, saying he'll come good. Look at him now.

I say the same about Bell in the ashes, look at this series.

Some people just take a while to get into the swing of things, test matches aren't easy, Bell isn't used to facing Warne, Lee, Shoiab, Kaneria.... but he's already showing signs of coming good.

When he gets more confident from this, and he will, he might think about scoring faster. Right now he's doing the right thing, because he needs good scores to stay in the team, no matter how slowly they come.

I have seen him score quickly before... he just hasn't needed to yet. If he needs to tomorrow he might well do so.
bikerx23
show off.

Replace him with Thorpe my ass. :biggrin:

Latest