Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I think MS is more scary to modern drivers than Senna was back when he was racing to his opponents, I deffinately think MS deserves a spot on that list!!! But it was Prost who would have scared me the most!!

ReputationRep:
    grrr, i want to see the scores for the championship matches being played at the minute. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/othe...er/4499134.stm doesnt seem to be updating, and the link on http://www.wheelsinmotion.net/Default.asp says i need to get to the page from that site - i.e. the code is broken.

ReputationRep:
    never mind, the bbc site updated. come on marco fu!!!

ReputationRep:
    anyone???

ReputationRep:
    I've just really got into snooker! I used to think it was really really boring! But actually its pretty cool . I haven't tried playing yet but I saw some games on tv. Is it very popular in england? My favorite player is Jimmy Hendrix! I think its amazing how he has won the snooker world cup 7 times!!! Hes great! I think hes pretty cute too :p: What is the best way to get into playing snooker? I dont know if anwhere near me does it. I really want to get into it, but none of my friends like it (they think im a bit crazy )!!

^o)

ReputationRep:
    jimmy hendrix - wtf !!!?!!!!?!!!!!!?!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    a weird and disturbing combo of steven hendry and jimmy white?

ReputationRep:
    Lmao

ReputationRep:
    Any surfers out there here on TSR? I'm leaving for Sydney later this week for some serious surfing action, I haven't been for about a year (and last year was my first time :eek: ) so I'll kinda suck at it, I know :laugh:

But it's fun, and that's all that matters

DB_x

ReputationRep:
    It's a little hard to tell whether you're being serious or not, I'm going to assume you are .

As others have indicated, I think you mean Stephen Hendry, he's the guy that's won it seven times. Jimmy White is the most popular player, although he's never won the WC. Jimi Hendrix was a guitar player, a bloody good one, but not a major force in the snooker world as far as I know.

As far as learning the game goes, the best way has to be just getting to whatever club is local and having a go. Clubs generally admit anyone for a small membership fee + around £3 per hour. Yes it's fairly popular in England, moreso in the north it seems (at least 4 clubs in Bradford where I live). Nowhere near the popularity of football or anything but about on a par with tennis, in terms of viewing figures at least. It's equally if not more popular in Scotland and Wales too, for that matter (Stephen Hendry is Scottish).

I don't know where in cornwall you are but if you go to maps.google.co.uk and search for "snooker near [wherever you are]", you should turn up something (ie snooker near redruth).

If you fancy watching some on TV, the UK championship (2nd biggest event) started this week and goes on until the 18th. It's the best way to learn the techniques and the rules as a beginner.

ReputationRep:
    I'm horrible at it!
    My best friend tried to teach me a couple of times, I've never managed to stand for more than 5 seconds to be honest.
    But it's great fun though, and a surprisingly good exercise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalie Lane)
    I'm horrible at it!
    My best friend tried to teach me a couple of times, I've never managed to stand for more than 5 seconds to be honest.
    But it's great fun though, and a surprisingly good exercise.
    You're right, spot on Nat That's true, it's really toning

Yes my friends laughed at me (they're NSW coastal girls, actually one was from Victoria and she still owned me) when I got on that surfboard for the first time, was like geez thanks guyz :rolleyes: I feel like throwing sand at you now :p:

What are the beaches like in Brazil? Thought I'd ask! Random question I know, but I'm curious! I bet they're awesome, hey did you know there's this store over here called Sportsgirl, and they're currently trying to get us interested in South American fashion, and there's this comp that you enter after purchasing clothing from there where you go in the draw to win a trip to Brazil :cool:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I went surfing once, but I got scared in case there were jellyfish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    I went surfing once, but I got scared in case there were jellyfish
    :eek: Is that my uni's ISP in your sig :laugh:

Anyway over here we worry more about sharks :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I love surfing....but its far too cold in Briatin to do it more than 2 days a year (unless you have all the expensive gear, which I cant afford)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danni_bella83)
    You're right, spot on Nat That's true, it's really toning

Yes my friends laughed at me (they're NSW coastal girls, actually one was from Victoria and she still owned me) when I got on that surfboard for the first time, was like geez thanks guyz :rolleyes: I feel like throwing sand at you now :p:

What are the beaches like in Brazil? Thought I'd ask! Random question I know, but I'm curious! I bet they're awesome, hey did you know there's this store over here called Sportsgirl, and they're currently trying to get us interested in South American fashion, and there's this comp that you enter after purchasing clothing from there where you go in the draw to win a trip to Brazil :cool:
    Err... there are all sorts of beaches actually, the coast line is huge so you've got from crystal clear, pool-like water to really large waves and fairly dark waters...

Sportsgirl? Never heard of...

ReputationRep:
    i surf.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    Which nations are you thinking of there ? (senses debate approaching
    Australia 2nd in the world despite only winning 1 in 9 recently? That's the only thing which stuck out when seeing the ranking's in Everdawn's signature. You didn't think I was going to mention England did you? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I want to know what you rank yourself in dribbling, passing and shooting, and also what position you play?

Sports that require all three are usually a ball game - basketball, field hockey, ice hockey, basketball etc

Anyone who plays the sport at any level can reply

I play left midfield in field hockey, and i rank myself

1) Dribbling
    2) Passing
    3) Shooting

Thanks

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.