The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7980
Hiya,

I'm hearing conflicting advice about using a punchbag for martial arts training. One the one hand, I'm hearing that it's bad for your joints if you keep punching / kicking the bag 'cause you're putting strain on them when you connect at force with the bag. On the other hand, I'm hearing that fully extening your limbs when punching or kicking thin air isn't good either 'cause *that* puts strain on the joints.

Can anyone advise me please? I don't want to go buggering up my knees or anything - they're kinda important to me! lol.

Thanks,
Sheep!
Wow! A thread on equestrians, who would've thought.

Over in my poor corner of the world, it seems like some sort of obscure activity, and people look at you a bit funny when you say what you do in your spare time.

Anyway, yes I ride. I grew up riding hunters, but now ride and compete in dressage. I have a 7-year-old, 16.1 hh Dutch Warmblood that we brought over 2 years ago. We've trained him up to the point where we're schooling most Prix St. George, but I've only competed up to 3rd level (we use the American system here). Pony's registered name is Rocky - I tried changing it when he came, but it just stuck.

Before he came along, I had an awesome little black quarter horse mare. She was so much fun - used to have a blast racing with other students! But then I guess I grew up a little and decided I wanted to compete more seriously.

It's so hard figuring out what to do with the horse and riding after leaving for university. Has anyone successfully kept up with consistent riding while at school? I'm hoping to go to uni in London, which would obviously rule out continuing, but if I stay here I'd hate to have to sell him.
Wow! A thread on equestrians, who would've thought.

Over in my poor corner of the world, it seems like some sort of obscure activity, and people look at you a bit funny when you say what you do in your spare time.

Anyway, yes I ride. I grew up riding hunters, but now ride and compete in dressage. I have a 7-year-old, 16.1 hh Dutch Warmblood that we brought over 2 years ago. We've trained him up to the point where we're schooling most Prix St. George, but I've only competed up to 3rd level (we use the American system here). Pony's registered name is Rocky - I tried changing it when he came, but it just stuck.

Before he came along, I had an awesome little black quarter horse mare. She was so much fun - used to have a blast racing with other students! But then I guess I grew up a little and decided I wanted to compete more seriously.

It's so hard figuring out what to do with the horse and riding after leaving for university. Has anyone successfully kept up with consistent riding while at school? I'm hoping to go to uni in London, which would obviously rule out continuing, but if I stay here I'd hate to have to sell him.
hey, does anyone here play polo? I ride, but i play polo mostly. At home we have 7 polo ponies, and i play a couple of times a week.
hey, does anyone here play polo? I ride, but i play polo mostly. At home we have 7 polo ponies, and i play a couple of times a week.
yep. Ive always done either gym/dance/or acrobatics from the age of about 5. But gave up gym as i preferred dancing and couldnt do both as it was getting too expensive. Ended up stopping altogether at about 16 just coz i thought my social life was more important!! wish i hadnt now thou as i have ended up getting so lazy! Trying to find a new dance class to start going to over here in spain, but its pretty hard, i really wanna try something new, like latin or ballroom.
Reply 7986
I prefer League but also watch a lot of international union simply because the competiton is so much better than in international rugby league. Club rugby union is dull as dishwater though
Yeah I used to do gym. Gave it up cos I wanted to have more time to waste with my friends! Wish I hadn't now, cos it's so much fun! Esp. bars, I loved doing giants on bars!

Did anyone see Matthew Pinsent's(sp?) report thing about the kids doing gymnastics in China? Has that man ever been to a gym club before in his life? It was no different to any of the clubs here in England!!!
Reply 7988
Which one of these, provides the best value for money:
1st
The 2nd pair from the top

2nd

3rd
Hand exercises ay :flute:
:rofl: Mate why are you spending money on hand exercisers when you can have a lot more fun doing it for free?

Lol, seriously though, Number 2 is cheapest and looks just as good as t'others.
That's fair enough.
Reply 7992
Yes I have to agree, the Guinness Premiership is an absolutely terrible league. All the teams are obsessed with boring 10 man rugby and have never heard the phrase "put it wide" it sickens me terribly. It cannot bode well for the national game. Why does the GP not aspire to be like the the Super 12? The French Championat? For Gods sakes, even the Celtic League is often superior. I'll tell you why, all the teams are morbidly afraid of relegation and so play with this horrific win at all costs mentality, which is destroying the game I know and love.
Gadzooks man, I'm not paying good money to see two number 10's hoof it back and forth in a game of who has got the biggest boot. I want to see action, passing, offloading, support runners, exhilarating tries that are commonplace elsewhere. I don't ask much, all I want to see is some rugby, some proper 15 man rugby played with flair and ambition. Is that too much to ask?
I can watch Rugby League domestic games in the UK and Australia comfortably and enjoy it, but watching a Guinness Premiership game is utter garbage to me, even though I enjoy international RU and watch a lot of England games and if big teams play such as NZ/Aus/SA. Personally I find League more exciting, quicker. But as long as there's a bit of a dust up in between, i'll watch both
Reply 7994
Yay, I won the jumping competition in my lesson last night!! :biggrin:
I dont know - some premiership games can, in my opinion, be very entertaining - but agreeably they could be better...
If anyone saw northampton vs leicester last week (it was on terrestrial :eek: which is how I saw it) - that was a very exciting match.
Reply 7996
mmjp
Why is it people can't just see that both codes, being a similar game, are actually quite good and stop bickering about which one is better.

I am a League fan but I couldn't really say League was better as even if I did start to watch as much Union as League I started watching League earlier so I'd be biased and it's all a matter of personal preference anyway.

As for disappearing, maybe it's just that people are back at school / college and don't have as much time for forums. Although I haven't been on for a while I can't remember seeing a League thread since the end of the season.

And it's hardly a 'retaliationary' thread if he started it. :p:

I'm a league player by tradition and preference but play union at uni. People just need to accept the differences as they are when they watch/play the different codes.
I prefer league as a game but its all good for me.
Reply 7997
Nah, its not for my personal use
Im doing this tension experiment.
Reply 7998
bikerx23
I dont know - some premiership games can, in my opinion, be very entertaining - but agreeably they could be better...
If anyone saw northampton vs leicester last week (it was on terrestrial :eek: which is how I saw it) - that was a very exciting match.

Not to be pedantic but that wasn't a league game, it was a Powergen cup game (thus it was on BBC) and was perhaps more open than average because both teams had to win in order to have a hope of qualifying for the semi-finals.
ah - fair point....was still a great game, and have seen some comparably good league games.

Latest