Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by car bomb01)
    Hey i was just wondering if i could get some advice. I fancy starting some martial arts, preferably like ju jitsu, and was just wonderin if anyone knows of anywhere it is offered in Newcastle-upon-Tyne or in the surrounding area. Cheers
    If it's a more self protection orientated activity as opposed to a sport that you want check out The Self Defence Federation (UK) Run by Dave Turton or the British Combat Association run by Geoff Thompson and Peter Consterdine. 3 of the most prominent self protection exponents in the UK

ReputationRep:
    if hes not good then how did he become pro?

how did he have a title match

if hes not good then how do you expext someone like to fight for the WORLD title which people like mohammed ali fighted for, if your telling me hes not a good fighter your out of your mind.

and skelton is crap and you will see williams batter him, and he only lost 4 mathes and 1 has been to the VERY GOOD fighter KLITCHKO.

so dont say hes not good,maybe that fight was not good but you cant say he aint good after 1 fight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liverpool)
    if hes not good then how did he become pro?

how did he have a title match

if hes not good then how do you expext someone like to fight for the WORLD title which people like mohammed ali fighted for, if your telling me hes not a good fighter your out of your mind.

and skelton is crap and you will see williams batter him, and he only lost 4 mathes and 1 has been to the VERY GOOD fighter KLITCHKO.

so dont say hes not good,maybe that fight was not good but you cant say he aint good after 1 fight.
    You're missing my point. Good boxers win titles, excite the crowd etc, he does nothing. Commonwealth champion? Because no one of any substance would fight for that. How on earth can you possibly compare Muhammed Ali to Danny Williams? Danny Williams fought for the title because he beat a washed up Mike Tyson (Who battered him for first two rounds) and then got a shot at it. He fought Klitschko and got taught a boxing lesson. He's only fighting for titles because the heavyweight division is garbage and the fighters in it aren't very good. He may be a 'good fighter' but I have seen no evidence of that. I've seen a lot of his fights and he displays no boxing talent whatsoever, he's a brawler, swings for the fences and hopes to connect. When he fights a good technical boxer i.e. Klitschko, he gets mauled.

ReputationRep:
    Any advice on general fitness and how to motivate myself to get going? Have no local gym, pool or other such sports facilities. Already do fencing as much as possible and compete at UK level, also go hillwalking (10-30km at a time, climbing up to 2,500-4,000 ft) about once every 2-3 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    Running? There's no real way to motivate yourself to get going, you just have to get out the front door really, that's the hardest part.

There's lot of stuff you can do at home such as yoga which is extremely under-rated as a fitness technique.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iscariot)
    Running? There's no real way to motivate yourself to get going, you just have to get out the front door really, that's the hardest part.

There's lot of stuff you can do at home such as yoga which is extremely under-rated as a fitness technique.
    I have actually thought about running and the problem has always been, as you said "...get out the front door..."

ReputationRep:
    Man, how you fluked the Ashes amazes me. The pace attack is limited, good only on green tops. Major licks have been distributed amongst the England camp, courtesy of the Pakistan team.

353! Damn....

Those 6's off Razzaq's bat were humiliating.

ReputationRep:
    We did not 'fluke' the Ashes actually, that series was possibly the most exciting of all time and we had to perfom exceptionally well to win it. I doubt Pakistan would have won that series.
    We had to lose at some point, it's just bad luck with us that every time we win something major (ie. the Rugby world cup) we always get lots of injuries etc. afterwards and end up having a bad patch, almost as if to compensate for having won previously.

ReputationRep:
    Dont blame this on injuries. Vaughan played 2/3, Giles 2/3 (he ave 40 in tests anyway!), KP all 3...

It has been a hammering of a media typed Ashes fluking side. They only one the games McGrath missed for one, and that too by 2 runs in 1 case.

Inzi has humiliated your bowlers all tour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by legbreakgoogly)
    Dont blame this on injuries. Vaughan played 2/3, Giles 2/3 (he ave 40 in tests anyway!), KP all 3...

It has been a hammering of a media typed Ashes fluking side. They only one the games McGrath missed for one, and that too by 2 runs in 1 case.
    Well we had to lose at some point didn't we. We'd won about the last 8 test series before that, going back to 2003, so we could not go on winning forever. This has beena serious dip of form yes, but it doesn't mean we won't bounce back.

I notice you conveniently forget that we should have won the 3rd Test as well - it was only the rain that saved Australia that time, if it weren't for that we'd have won the series 3-1.

ReputationRep:
    Speculative!

Eng won 5 series wins, I believe 2 were against Zim and Bang?

Its a case of being good only in favorable conditions.

ReputationRep:
    Speculative!

Eng won 5 series wins, I believe 2 were against Zim and Bang?

Its a case of being good only in favorable conditions.
    Even if 2 of them were against weak teams, it means that 3 of them weren't.

We haven't only been good in favourable conditions. For example what about the series against South Africa which we came from behind to draw? That was the series which set off our winning run too

ReputationRep:
    SAffie conditions are quite similar to English ones. Green strips, esp the ball moves at high altitude grounds like Cape Town.

ReputationRep:
    SAffie conditions are quite similar to English ones. Green strips, esp the ball moves at high altitude grounds like Cape Town.
    Any excuse not to give the England team any credit

ReputationRep:
    Man, how you fluked the Ashes amazes me. The pace attack is limited, good only on green tops. Major licks have been distributed amongst the England camp, courtesy of the Pakistan team.

353! Damn....

Those 6's off Razzaq's bat were humiliating.
    Well, if you think that Pakistan are such a great team, then maybe we can see what the result is the next time they play ODIs and tests in England. I'm not saying that England or Pakistan are better than one another, but think that this would help give us a fairer comparison.

ReputationRep:
    i didnt compare him to mohammed ali.

ok i get your points about the ways he fights, but you have 2 rate him for at least being the player in that fight who went for it and also he was the 1 who beat tyson, but i no were your comming from now

ReputationRep:
    Well yeah, running and biking in the summer and cross country skiing in the winter if it's possible for You. As for the getting out of the door part, You really just need an aim to work toward or You need to find a way how to make the trainings interesting, really use your imagination. And another thing that motivates me is the will to be better than my friends who are mostly also the people i compete against (i personally do orienteering). Also the feeling i get after after a good training session.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HistoryStudent)
    Even if 2 of them were against weak teams, it means that 3 of them weren't.

We haven't only been good in favourable conditions. For example what about the series against South Africa which we came from behind to draw? That was the series which set off our winning run too
    Wat about beating the weakest WI side ever, like twice and zimbabwe, Bangladesh etc

Maybe one good series victory the rest were all worthless !

Could not beleive Tres winnin the toss and choosing to bowl on a flat hot wicket ! Absolutely shocking :eek: !

ReputationRep:
    Discuss in the Ultimate Cricket Thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jason01)
    Does anyone have one?
    What are your opinions on it?
    I bought one as a prize only to find myself playing loads with it at work! and it sure hell makes your arm hurt!

I find it hard to beleive all the stuff it says on the said of the box how pro baseball players etc... use them...

still it was a cool little gadget that is now in someone elses hand! literally

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.