Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I dont have any fishing stories yet, only been a few times. We do spear fishing with the hawaiians (sp?) . Its really fun, of course you need warm water and lots of fish to succeed but its the most thrilling thing in the world. You should defenatly try it if u ever get the chance there is nothing like it.

ReputationRep:
    oh i love badminton i think it is brilliant i have been playing it for 3 years and i think it is one of the best sports to play as the speed and energy involved is wicked. yes it is underrated! :p:

ReputationRep:
    its meant to be the easiest racket sport to pick up! also in my experience, and from what i've heard, its one of the most physical when you get up to the top levels...table tennis is awesome too though :-P

ReputationRep:
    table tennis!?!?! :eek:

I hold my hands up to anyone that can have a rally of more than 2 hit each... :rolleyes:

Had a few goes, but I cannot quite seem to control where that ball goes... I spent most of the time with mouth open in amazement at how much that ball can swerve

ReputationRep:
    ^ Haha... yea, I know what cartoon you're talking about. And yea, I'm a baller in my spare time.

ReputationRep:
    yeah badmintons cool - county standard when im on form, play regularly...but since coming to uni, strangely stopped playing it after the first term for personal reasons...problem is at uni, a good number of orientals play the game so places in uni team/s are restricted, and of course, selection probably isn't particularly a bias devoid process.

I did play tennis @ county level when i was 15ish, never did at badminton but was of a high standard...transition from playing tennis to playing badminton is far easier than the transition from just having played badminton, to picking up tennis racket...both are cool sports, whereas you can boom some huge serves down on the tennis court, you can revel in cheeky drop shots in badminton - pretty complimentary are tennis and badminton - probably naturally better at badminton.

ReputationRep:
    little known fact is that badminton is infact the world's fastest racket sport, even faster than tennis. fastest ever smash is clocked in at 332 kph!!!

and if you dont believe me... http://www.badders.com/news/item/700...t-racket-sport

:-)

ReputationRep:
    anyone watching the darts at the moment? it's pretty cool, i like the whole atmosphere of people sitting round, having a meal and a drink, while some guys stand at the front and play.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chewwy)
    anyone watching the darts at the moment? it's pretty cool, i like the whole atmosphere of people sitting round, having a meal and a drink, while some guys stand at the front and play.
    yeah i have done - its an amazing concept - that you can be fixated simply from watching men (and women) professionals throw these flying things onto a board. Its a good game, i prefer pool and snooker, but as a social event yeah it seems pretty carnivalesque which is cool, the waving of 180s, the "lets play darts", "180...", "game, shot and match....."

A nice comfortable beer/lager, chill out and chat scenario - never been to watch darts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medicojo-jim)
    little known fact is that badminton is infact the world's fastest racket sport, even faster than tennis. fastest ever smash is clocked in at 332 kph!!!

and if you dont believe me... http://www.badders.com/news/item/700...t-racket-sport

no its certainly believable....shuttle cocks can fly - probably my weakest shot the smash, a shot which is up there in the importance stakes...whereas my serve in tennis is pretty sweet...badminton can be nackering, particularly singles, well both doubles and singles, rallies can last a lifetime..i went to commonwealth games in manchester and got to see some decent players there.

ReputationRep:
    badminton's pretty awesome

(Original post by medicojo-jim)

lol, thats pretty cool

I love smashing it - great fun!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I dont follow it too much during the year but watch both the PDC and BDO championships at the end of the year.

ReputationRep:
    I LOVE THIS TIME OF YEAR!!!

Every January, I spend most of it in my room PLAYING darts if not watching it

Mind you, I'm not as good

ReputationRep:
    isn't that coming close to 200mph....?
    Or am I being stupid?

(And if its the second, please be kind to me )

ReputationRep:
    OOOHHH!!! Baller by name.. baller by nature (well, maybe not by name)
    The best sport in the worllllddd

--------------

OOH..we should make a basketball society

ReputationRep:
    little thing i discovered some time ago about the shuttlecock. if its one of those plastic "feathering" types, squashing the plastic (e.g. by screwing it up in your fist) makes for a demonic shuttlecock! it literally flies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undry1)
    little thing i discovered some time ago about the shuttlecock. if its one of those plastic "feathering" types, squashing the plastic (e.g. by screwing it up in your fist) makes for a demonic shuttlecock! it literally flies.
    or wait for a feather one to die, so you have maybe an inch and a half of feather maximum. we used to play with those to improve our movement. i not played badminton since i left sixth-form. happy days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Chueco)
    or wait for a feather one to die, so you have maybe an inch and a half of feather maximum. we used to play with those to improve our movement. i not played badminton since i left sixth-form. happy days.
    how far does your thing fly when you hit it hard?

ReputationRep:
    for me - if it doesn't hit the net, or the other person - usually hits the back wall (Which is nearly 2 foot behind the back line )

ReputationRep:
    the players in the bdo world championship look crap compared to the pdc players

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.