The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Undry1
hmmm... my method allows it to fly more than the length of two courts including a gap of ~3m. and even then still not at maximum power. :biggrin: :biggrin:

i seriously struggle to believe that is true.

do you mean across the width of two courts?
in which case, yeah ok fine.
Bit of a pointless discussion though isn't it? You might be able to hit a shuttlecock further than a world class badminton player, but it won't reflect your ability at the sport at all.

I cut my arm open with the racket just below my right elbow somehow, I've never seen anyone else remotely hurt while playing badminton! Though I'm sure people must have broken a leg or something because it can be quite high impact.
Reply 8222
chewwy
anyone watching the darts at the moment? it's pretty cool, i like the whole atmosphere of people sitting round, having a meal and a drink, while some guys stand at the front and play.

I major question here does this really belong in a SPORTS thread!?!?

Fat people who drink to much throwing something at a board! its a pub game but NO WAY a sport!
Reply 8223
One-Prophecy
The second best sport in the world (football is first, of course). Real Talk. Any players or supporters here?

Personally I prefer Baseketball! far more entertaining! espicially on free range chicken night!
MrColin
I major question here does this really belong in a SPORTS thread!?!?

Fat people who drink to much throwing something at a board! its a pub game but NO WAY a sport!

Snooker and pool are pub games and are considered sports. I'm sure you would consider archery a sport so why not darts? I'd like to see you hit some 180's, just because darts has an image of being a sport for guys with bulging beer bellies doesn't mean it isn't classed as a sport. And don't be giving any of that physical exertion ********.
HistoryStudent
Personally, I say rugby union all the way!! So much better than league!

yea, but when you're fortunate enough to have taste you are not blinded by your ignorance :wink:

no - i dont want another argument over league vs union...i'm just flirting...
Reply 8226
How about shooting? Thats an olympic sport!
Is chess a sport as well... ?
Reply 8227
I think we're just telling each other of our lack of control :smile:

Well thats what I'm sharing :biggrin:

I been hit across the face in doubles :frown:

No blood though :frown: That would have been cool :smile:
Reply 8228
wizard
i seriously struggle to believe that is true.

do you mean across the width of two courts?
in which case, yeah ok fine.

definitely the length of two courts. :cool:

--------------

skd180
Bit of a pointless discussion though isn't it? You might be able to hit a shuttlecock further than a world class badminton player, but it won't reflect your ability at the sport at all.

whats wrong with pointless discussions? :p:

--------------

tiempo
I think we're just telling each other of our lack of control :smile:

Well thats what I'm sharing :biggrin:

I been hit across the face in doubles :frown:

No blood though :frown: That would have been cool :smile:

my brother had that happen to him. he did bleed. :p: :biggrin:
Reply 8229
right. ive drawn a sketch of what the shuttlecock looks like after being crushed. see attachment.
Undry1
right. ive drawn a sketch of what the shuttlecock looks like after being crushed. see attachment.

not quite as thick and long as mine... :biggrin:
Reply 8231
OO

Woudln't want to get that in your eye at 350km/h!!! :biggrin:

Undry1... Was you still holding onto the racket? :smile:
Reply 8232
wizard
not quite as thick and long as mine... :biggrin:

ahem... :p:

--------------

tiempo
OO

Woudln't want to get that in your eye at 350km/h!!! :biggrin:

Undry1... Was you still holding onto the racket? :smile:

:confused:
Reply 8233
Don't think chess is generaly regarded as a sport, no. Darts involes a physical skill, and in my view is just as much of a sport as shooting and archery, which as you say are Olympic sports. Chess is really only a mental skill isn't it.

Darts is already recognised as a sport by Sport England.

*edit*
In fact I'm wrong, chess is on the IOC's list of recongnised sports:
http://www.olympic.org/uk/sports/recognized/index_uk.asp
Reply 8234
I prefer Basketball as well. Far more entertaining in my eyes.

Does anybody know where I'd be able to watch it in the UK, aside from Sky Sports?
Reply 8235
I do love basketball as well
Howdy one, howdy all :smile:

Just wondering, how much am I going to have to train to get to 10k standards by June? I've just realised that 10k is 6.2 miles - a few more than I thought actually lol, but I would like to be able to do this, so I was looking for training / eating hints?

Ta! :smile:

Btw, I'm not looking to get a really good time or anything, just to be able to do the course and not end up crawling over the line half dead lol.
Reply 8237
Practice thats the main tip !
Healthy diet !
IF you are not going for top finishing times u have plenty of time !

I ran the 10K PM me for further info >!
Reply 8238
Also get some good running shoes that fit well.
Reply 8239
I did the half marathon.. trained 4x a week doing various things, sprinting, normal running, mixed cardio etc.

I'd do 3x week. Look to add something on to each run. ie. i used to run around a lake. i'd add half the lake or a 1/4 each run etc etc or an alternative route around the park adding one extra lap or a certain section.

Latest