Archive SPTM/0003/REC/HPOO Watch

This discussion is closed.
MikeH
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Don't think chess is generaly regarded as a sport, no. Darts involes a physical skill, and in my view is just as much of a sport as shooting and archery, which as you say are Olympic sports. Chess is really only a mental skill isn't it.

Darts is already recognised as a sport by Sport England.

*edit*
In fact I'm wrong, chess is on the IOC's list of recongnised sports:
http://www.olympic.org/uk/sports/rec...d/index_uk.asp
Tzara
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I prefer Basketball as well. Far more entertaining in my eyes.

Does anybody know where I'd be able to watch it in the UK, aside from Sky Sports?
rodman
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I do love basketball as well
fordeletionpurposesonly.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Howdy one, howdy all

Just wondering, how much am I going to have to train to get to 10k standards by June? I've just realised that 10k is 6.2 miles - a few more than I thought actually lol, but I would like to be able to do this, so I was looking for training / eating hints?

Ta!

Btw, I'm not looking to get a really good time or anything, just to be able to do the course and not end up crawling over the line half dead lol.
pete77
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Practice thats the main tip !
Healthy diet !
IF you are not going for top finishing times u have plenty of time !

I ran the 10K PM me for further info >!
mikeyT
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Also get some good running shoes that fit well.
erk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I did the half marathon.. trained 4x a week doing various things, sprinting, normal running, mixed cardio etc.

I'd do 3x week. Look to add something on to each run. ie. i used to run around a lake. i'd add half the lake or a 1/4 each run etc etc or an alternative route around the park adding one extra lap or a certain section.
fordeletionpurposesonly.
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Thank you guys!

Much appreciated!

I like the idea of adding a bit more to the run each time...

Oooh, I'm actually excited about training lol.

Swimming's a good exercise to build up stamina right?

At the moment my fitness routien's walking/running every morning, only a little bit though I'll increase this, swimming twice or three times a week and also I train at a karate club for 3 hours a week... if I stepped up the running I'd be ok d'ya reckon?
mikeyT
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Swimming is really good for cardio work so it will build your stamina up. But thats assuming you keep going without stopping. Its easy on your joints as well, as opposed to running which sends shocks up through your skeleton.
I think your plan seems ok. Just take erk's advice and add a little bit on to the end of each run.
Skeve
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Just do a few runs every week, I wouldnt say go to the gym and do all these silly workouts. In reality it isn't that far, and aslong as you practise various runs of different speeds and differences it will be fine. Just make sure you have water with you cause sometimes you will gag for it!
El Stevo
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i broke my mates glasses playing badminton. pinged the bridge of his specs as i lunged for a backhand and he was turning watching my immense dive. got a beautiful connection, but his head got in the way of the shuttle. then there was the time his elbow just popped out for no reason., and the time i broke his tooth with a shuttle, again while he was watching my backhand.

oh, if you want a crazy game of badminton, try a featherless shuttle. they do fly.
teenageclay
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Right well I have recently started enjoying the basics of Parkour and was wondering if anyone here has any tips on moves to try out and what physical training to do e.g weights and running. also if anyone knows where people practice near North London it would help.
Thanks
Patrick
hazz3000
Report 13 years ago
Anyway play rugby for anyone interesting, i played for warwickshire and coventry
Rainy
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by hazz3000)
Anyway play rugby for anyone interesting, i played for warwickshire and coventry
Wrong forum mate. Go asky nice mod person to move it for you? Either report your post, or ask in Ask A Moderator, I suppose?
In answer to the question, I play for the school but that's about it. And even less so now it's our last year.
tiempo
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
YAY!!!

I don't do any training in gym... I just hit the streets and you get used to it...
But if you want to train... you need explosive power... so work those legs

Just jump.
your legs will get stronger.
tiempo
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
featherless!?!

Ypou mean its just that cork bit flying around?!?!

Our feathered ones fall apart real easy Did we get teh cheap ones or are we not hitting it right?
O-TheC
Report 13 years ago
seeing that you already swim then i'd recommend 2 - 3 runs a week.
And about the adding a bit of distance each time you can do it now that you start off but then stop at one. I'd also recommend slow long runs at the moment, in winter, by slow i mean a comfortable pace at which you could freely talk to your training partner if you had one. And then as the summer/race approaches you should start making your runs shorter and faster and put in some interval training if you want to have a kick ass finish But most runs should still be at a pace where you would be able to talk to your training if you had one.
And good luck in the race
trouttrout
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Who u reckon will get it this year?
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
England, obviously.
white_haired_wizard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I used to go around in my high school P.E. lessons trying to hit below - right below the knee the best...several times myself and others had marks as a result - i was killing myself with laughter doing that

but best thing is of course, when you have mishit the shuttlecock and the edge of it, the rubber bit, does come off - you can indeed yank it off too...hitting that at someones leg wow

i only ever tried hitting shuttlecock et al at peoples legs - my brother did it once to his friend and the mark remained for 2-3 weeks, the mark was still present on his leg at the badminton class.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (546)
37.73%
No - but I will (113)
7.81%
No - I don't want to (100)
6.91%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (688)
47.55%

Watched Threads