Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    Henman has just lost in the 1st round to Tursunov . 7-5 3-6 4-6 5-7.
    Shame. It would have been much better if he lost in straight sets. :p:

ReputationRep:
    You're pretty much spot on yourself economist
    I just wonder if Henman has given Murray some media education, i.e. henman can do what perhaps he always wanted (his relationship with the media throughout his career) through Murray, and helping Murray - a joined Murray-Henman esque backlash..

if you know what i mean...i believe Murray to be a pretty wise player and person. I have alot of respect for how he's going about things, and i guess Petchy can be given alot of praise too. I bet he's just thankful his favourite court surface ISNT grass, that way he avoids much (media) pressures which Tim has had to come to terms with. A grand slam victory for Murray? Not in the immediate future, he simply isnt a teenage prodigy which we have seen with the case of Nadal...but he is an excellent player...its not been long that hes been competing on the Mens ATP, so to expect this much of him is ridiculous.

It's the same people who turn out each summer, show 'interest' in tennis when Wimbledon comes around, then when British players all go out... "Its Henman is rubbish...he's not up to scratch" that sort of garble. Parks are swarming with tennis 'enthusiasts'...the next minute, courts are deserted etc....its so fickle.

ReputationRep:
    Parks are swarming with tennis 'enthusiasts'...the next minute, courts are deserted etc....its so fickle.
    yer true. but is it a bad thing, at least people come out and play, although it is annoying when there are loads of people at the courts at the end of my road....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AAJ1)
    yer true. but is it a bad thing, at least people come out and play, although it is annoying when there are loads of people at the courts at the end of my road....
    health benefits ok sure....but its how they suddenly think their opinion on the game is so valid of a sudden from watching a miniscule amount of tennis on terrestrial.

It's very irritating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Rugby is football technically speaking. England Rugby Football Union. :rolleyes:

I play for SOAS - number 15.
    :rolleyes:
    Moving. Thanks for not reporting this guys. You are supposed to help me remember. Report, report, report!! *glares at everyone*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raindance)
    No idea. I rather like Wigan personally. Greater than the sum of their parts, and play in the right style and spirit. Hopefully this'll start being reflected in their attendance figures more.
    Some people say that Wigan is their preferred choice to watch in the Premiership, not Arsenal, not Chelsea but Wigan and I can see why.

ReputationRep:
    Dudes, y'all all wrong. Baseball is number 1, The its football (National Champs: Your Texas Longhorns). Then basketball.

Anyway as it is, they all Rock!!!

ReputationRep:
    I have only just got around to the tennis this week and to my delight I have notices Miss Hingis won! YAY!

As this is the Andy Murray thead for topic and debate, I would also like to put forward that this 'starlet' of british tennis who apparently will be top 20 by the end of this year in some peoples eyes has already started making excuses other than the fact that he is just not good enough to challenge the top contenders above him.

in his own words

'It's difficult for me to go out there and try to perform to the best that I can when I'm expected to win all these matches'

what actually is your aim not to perform your best? Yes Mr Murray if you are not up to standard lets blame the media not that you need much more pratice to win!

ReputationRep:
    please tell me something about football

ReputationRep:
    I think you need to have a glass of STFU. He lost to a player who's been in the top 20 in the world, the fact that Murray is in the top 100 and automatically qualified for the aus open at the age of 18 is a high achievement in itself. I'm not surprised there's so few british tennis players the amount of **** they're subject to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrColin)
    I have only just got around to the tennis this week and to my delight I have notices Miss Hingis won! YAY!

As this is the Andy Murray thead for topic and debate, I would also like to put forward that this 'starlet' of british tennis who apparently will be top 20 by the end of this year in some peoples eyes has already started making excuses other than the fact that he is just not good enough to challenge the top contenders above him.

in his own words

'It's difficult for me to go out there and try to perform to the best that I can when I'm expected to win all these matches'

what actually is your aim not to perform your best? Yes Mr Murray if you are not up to standard lets blame the media not that you need much more pratice to win!
    I dont see where he is blaming the media, can you point it out? It's obviously harder for him when there is added pressure from the media. You dont seem to comment on the rest of what he said like 'You guys are expecting me to win matches like this. The guy's ranked 20 places in front of me, he is a much better player than me'.

ReputationRep:
    Oww i though they were web sites to play pool on lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikerx23)
    to be honest, henson can't hack it at the top level in my opinion...
    Agreed...well he can't atm anyway. Has a lot of potential but is lazy and resting on his laurels (not tht he's really earned them). I think Wales will miss Shanklin a lot more- much better player yet gets so little mention.

France will win, provided they turn up. Problem with les bleus is wen they turn up they're awesome, but if they don't have the right minset they're an embaressment. But such strength in depth...possible contenders for the WC come 2007?

Wales have too many injuries, and even if they didn't I don't think they'd win it this year anyway. Nice as it was to see them get the grand slam last year it wasn't the best quality rugby from the other teams.

Ireland- haven't seen much of them this season, but in the AI their pack looked tired and over-the-hill, and the backs had no penetration. (altho with Bod back maybe he'll spark things up a bit in the backline)

Scotland- well the performance against the All Blacks was promising, so who knows? I kinda wish they'd be rubbish agen tho- I always feel sorry for Italy being landed with the wooden spoon agen)

Italy- will need some other teams to have shockers unfortunately.

and finally.....England- well, what can I say? compared to what we were like last year I have high hopes for us. Pack could turn out to be awesome, altho will have their work cut out against france. Its the backline I'm worried about, especially with AR's lousy selections....
    for example, why are Cohen, Tindall, Dawson and Thompson STILL being picked? and why is Ollie Smith only in the A team? My only consolation is seeing Varndell (awesome player! :cool: ) in there- hopefully will keep the useless Cohen out.

Anyways...my predictions, for what they're worth:
    France
    England
    Wales
    Ireland
    Scotland
    Italy

ReputationRep:
    There is a fantastic team in the 36 man England training squad, the problem is that Andy Robinson won't pick it.
    If he plays Tindall in the centre I will laugh till it hurts.

--------------

Also, on Ireland, the squad picked looks really good, I'd agree with it almost totally. Some fantastic new players included such as Heaslip, Kearney and Reddan. Again though, it's no use having these players in the squad if the manager turns conservative with the match day selection.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Colly]
    If he plays Tindall in the centre I will laugh till it hurts.
    [QUOTE]

Laugh? I think I'd cry! Even more so if bloody Cohen gets in. And as for Thomson...well it doesn't matter how awesome our second rows are if we can't find a hooker who can actually hit his target. Why did neither sir clive nor AR ever realise this?!)

ReputationRep:
    England don't have great options at hooker at the moment; they have Thompson, Chuter or Mears; Mears is quick and mobile but pretty small for a hooker. I think AR would rather have a big big front row to dominate in the scrum and tight play. There's no doubt that Thompson is the best english hooker for scrummaging and general play (ball-carrying etc.) but he can't hit a barn door.

Keep an eye out for the new Irish hooker in the 6 nations Jerry Flannery (if he's picked that is) he's a fantastic thrower and wonderful around the park.

As for Cohen, yea he's rubbish get Varndell in there. Best English backline would be

Ellis, Hodgson, Abbott, Lewsey, Cueto, Varndell, Van Gisbergen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colly)
    Best English backline would be

Ellis, Hodgson, Abbott, Lewsey, Cueto, Varndell, Van Gisbergen
    Yeh, I'd pretty much agree with that, although I'm not sure about Abbott- he's always seemed quite a selfish ball carrier to me, never passes the ball if he thinks he might score himself, and as a result makes the team miss out on a try. Saying that haven't seen much of him over the past couple of seasons (partly courtesy of a certain Mr. Betsen's stray leg) so maybe he's improved.

I can never decide whether Lewsey is better at centre or fullback. I think I'd put him at FB tho as we have more options at centre already, and I'm not sure whether van gisbergen is all that gud atm- he seemed to lose form just as he was picked in the squad for the AIs.

Maybe try Simpson-Daniel or Barkley in the centre? Barkley would add another decent kicker (both out of hand and place kicking) should Charlie be struggling, and Sinbads always looked more creative than a lot of the other centres. (saying tht I haven't seen gloucester play for a while so don't know wat his form is like).

Ah, decisions decisions,...so glad I'm not AR at this moment!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anduril)
    Yeh, I'd pretty much agree with that, although I'm not sure about Abbott- he's always seemed quite a selfish ball carrier to me, never passes the ball if he thinks he might score himself, and as a result makes the team miss out on a try. Saying that haven't seen much of him over the past couple of seasons (partly courtesy of a certain Mr. Betsen's stray leg) so maybe he's improved.

I can never decide whether Lewsey is better at centre or fullback. I think I'd put him at FB tho as we have more options at centre already, and I'm not sure whether van gisbergen is all that gud atm- he seemed to lose form just as he was picked in the squad for the AIs.

Maybe try Simpson-Daniel or Barkley in the centre? Barkley would add another decent kicker (both out of hand and place kicking) should Charlie be struggling, and Sinbads always looked more creative than a lot of the other centres. (saying tht I haven't seen gloucester play for a while so don't know wat his form is like).

Ah, decisions decisions,...so glad I'm not AR at this moment!
    Barkley is good at 12, personally i think Abbott just shades it. I think there is an advantage to having the wasps centre partnership because they know each other well. Abbott has been playing really well this season and would give England something extra at 12. Fair point about Van Gisbergen, has shown some flashes of brilliance though, and useful to have a back-up kicker if Charlie chokes. Personally don't rate JSD in the centre, don't think he's got the defence and physicality but is a good winger.

ReputationRep:
    England

ReputationRep:
    He really is going to need to work on his fitness otherwise is really hard for him to play higher rank players and he himself knows this without the pressure of the media on his shoulders! Hes not blaming the media as such but he maybe just doesnt like the presure they put on him.

Oh yeah btw he used to go to my school and play at my tennis club! It was only for about less than a year and I cant say I remember him really apart from people saying he was good but still!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.