Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 101mphfastball)
    Astros didn't hit a whole load, they had little offense. Pitching won't win it alone unless the other side have no pitching, but Chicago had great pitching also and they pitched great during the World Series.

To win in the post season, you either need great hitting and great pitching (the ideal), great pitching with mediocre hitting but opponents have poor pitching though possibly good hitters, or awesome hitting but your opponent doesn't hit and has poor pitching. In which case if both is bad they won't get there probably. Astros got to the World Series on the strength of their pitching and hitting that at times was good, as it had been in the second half to get them there, but it went cold during the World Series and Chicago was hot, I have to admit I didn't watch all of the world series it was too much pain for a hometown boy.
    Does that mean you are a fellow cub?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrColin)
    Does that mean you are a fellow cub?
    Houston Dude! I couldn't bear to see the Astros not hitting. Going down on 0 and 4 hurts.

ReputationRep:
    I was using a lighter weight than usual and swung too hard! Aren't I coordinated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnsonimrodgd)
    I don't think there is a dress code for tennis. I know that Wimbledon is strictly white only, but I think you're allowed any coloured t-shirt and you can even wear trousers if you wanted to in other competitions.
    nah Wimbledon's changed and is changing - its not that strict. The players hold the power, without the players taking part the tournament simply wouldnt go ahead etc...they have the power/s to wear what they want, increasingly this 'strictly white' ideology at Wimbledon will be bent and completely crushed at some point, and maybe its a good thing. I'm all for keeping traditions at times, but i think in this circumstance, extrovert-ness should be promoted, more entertainment for all etc...we don't want clones.

ReputationRep:
    Nah schumi's gonna be there for some time yet, with raikkonen i believe, rossi's just a bit of marketing ploy.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, I think its quite unfair on Schumacher to be honest to be talking about his retirement etc without him even turning a wheel in anger in the new car yet. The anti-Ferrari teams seem to have a lot of affection from the press (esp. British), maybe they could be nudging the media to start rumours etc to rattle Schumi for the start of the season? Doesn't seem entirely impossible, mind tactics are always used in sports and there are photographers who are constantly being payed by all teams to take photos of rival cars.

Montezemolo has said Schu can stay for as long as he wants at Ferrari, and personally I can't see Rossi coming in and beating Schumacher consistently or even winning the championship over him. He may have talent on 2 wheels and he may have started on 4 wheels from a young age but I doubt he can overwhelm Schumacher.

As to the likeliness, well I don't know if Ferrari would take the risk, they are a rather conservative team. It makes huge marketing sense, and he does seem to show some promise but to be honest Alonso/Kimi need to be the benchmark to test him against. If he doesn't seem on par with them then its no point taking him cause he won't be able to challenge future stars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard)
    nah Wimbledon's changed and is changing - its not that strict. The players hold the power, without the players taking part the tournament simply wouldnt go ahead etc...they have the power/s to wear what they want, increasingly this 'strictly white' ideology at Wimbledon will be bent and completely crushed at some point, and maybe its a good thing. I'm all for keeping traditions at times, but i think in this circumstance, extrovert-ness should be promoted, more entertainment for all etc...we don't want clones.
    We dont want clowns either. But im not too bothered although Nadal looked like a bit of a **** when he turned up in his 3/4 lengths and green/orange wife beater.

Rossi makes sense incase Kimi doesn't work out.

ReputationRep:
    How, Rossi in my eyes would only get a test role with ferrari nothing more. That and its just marketing ploy for ferrari to have multiple MotoGP champion on the team. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yet even on the best drugs money can buy they'd still get their ass wooped by this man; Roger Federer, through to his 7th grand slam final! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I know Federers great and all but i can't help but wish there was someone else in the final....saying that i hope Baghdatis puts up a good fight..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireshm)
    I know Federers great and all but i can't help but wish there was someone else in the final....saying that i hope Baghdatis puts up a good fight..
    I hope Baghdatis wins. I always sort of feel sorry however for the successful - they do get abuse thrown at them, i.e. look at man united, hated because of their success, same may increasingly occur with Federer. I like the bloke myself and he deserves his success obviously. But i'm usually one for the underdog.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnsonimrodgd)
    Cheers for the random pos rep on this thread. Apparently 'I'm hot' but all the posters here are male so I'm getting a bit worried.
    i think people thought u were the person in your avatar. But yeh its just tradition and also you dont really get much controversy in snooker, altho Hendry once said he would rather play is casual clothes.

ReputationRep:
    I am shocked to see yan and Zheng upset lovers duo of Raymond/Stosur :eek: Go Zi and Jie!

ReputationRep:
    Gotta say I'm disappointed the Mets traded Jae Seo.

ReputationRep:
    Is there a practical way of making pressups harder without resorting to doing kazillions of repetitions?

ReputationRep:
    mm just to county level. Tis a great sport, the most active I do.

ReputationRep:
    Wow...just woken up by the postman, switched on computer to see that Mauresmo has won the Australian Open - i'm pleased for her, she should have won a grand slam by now, and i think a few will follow. People will be cynical given the circumstances of her win, but it surely was just a mental block for Mauresmo in capturing her first Grand Slam.

As for Henin Hardenne and Clijsters - do you see retirements from these 2 within the next couple of years? We've seen them plagued with various assortment of injuries, some pretty dangerous injuries...this won't help the WTA, two fantastic players really struggling and pulling out of competitions, opens the door for Hingis that little bit more. I unfortunately haven't watched a drop of AUS Open as i dont have the channels etc, but can any of you see Hingis winning another Slam? I wouldnt have thought so, or has her power increased?

Well done Mauresmo anyway!

ReputationRep:
    First off, Clijsters said last year that she wanted to only play tennis for two more years anyway which is shocking. I cant see Henin retiring yet as it may have just been a stomach bug and she has played really well most of the tournament, it was really unfortuante for her.
    As much as I think the Hingis run was impressive, her draw was extremely lucky to get to the quarters, especially when Benesova got lucky against Pierce. I watched that match and it was crap, Pierce was crap, and Benesova should not have won. I have to say her first round was impressive against cuckoo zvonareva, she has some more power on her first serve, but not second. In the second round she played Laine, really inexperiences teen which was a good draw, and then benesova, niether are great power hitters. Stosure self destructed, end of. And Clijsters was way too powerful for hingie. I think in the lower tiers she could be winning tournaments, Gold Coast proved that, especially doubles she can win too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jog.Ra.Fee.)
    First off, Clijsters said last year that she wanted to only play tennis for two more years anyway which is shocking. I cant see Henin retiring yet as it may have just been a stomach bug and she has played really well most of the tournament, it was really unfortuante for her.
    As much as I think the Hingis run was impressive, her draw was extremely lucky to get to the quarters, especially when Benesova got lucky against Pierce. I watched that match and it was crap, Pierce was crap, and Benesova should not have won. I have to say her first round was impressive against cuckoo zvonareva, she has some more power on her first serve, but not second. In the second round she played Laine, really inexperiences teen which was a good draw, and then benesova, niether are great power hitters. Stosure self destructed, end of. And Clijsters was way too powerful for hingie. I think in the lower tiers she could be winning tournaments, Gold Coast proved that, especially doubles she can win too

Yeah i'd agree with all of that. I just hope she doesn't get too down when she plays the big hitters because she could and probably will be torn apart - that would kill some of her confidence. Maybe she's best sticking solely to doubles tournaments - that would breed sufficient confidence, but in singles hmmm.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.