Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    No - I dont think she will, she is Hingis after all but there certainly were points in the clijsters match were she was trading hits and keeping up with her. I definately think she has a great chance in doubles. She is already in the mixed final in Aussie Open! ITs weird to think she never actualyl won a mixed title, Bhupathi is a great partner to be with though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard)
    Wow...just woken up by the postman, switched on computer to see that Mauresmo has won the Australian Open - i'm pleased for her, she should have won a grand slam by now, and i think a few will follow. People will be cynical given the circumstances of her win, but it surely was just a mental block for Mauresmo in capturing her first Grand Slam.

As for Henin Hardenne and Clijsters - do you see retirements from these 2 within the next couple of years? We've seen them plagued with various assortment of injuries, some pretty dangerous injuries...this won't help the WTA, two fantastic players really struggling and pulling out of competitions, opens the door for Hingis that little bit more. I unfortunately haven't watched a drop of AUS Open as i dont have the channels etc, but can any of you see Hingis winning another Slam? I wouldnt have thought so, or has her power increased?

Well done Mauresmo anyway!
    Very surprising but I dont think someone could have had any more luck than Mauresmo. Clijsters, Henin and Krajicek all retiring and Schnyder and Vaidasova playing poorly. She has had the quality to win a slam but never really the temprement. Although she didnt choke in the masters she didnt even have a chance to in the final.

ReputationRep:
    I really can't see Clijsters sticking around for much longer- she has her Slam, has been number 1 and got a bunch of titles- not that she couldn't do lots more but shes not going to be able to stick these injuries much longer and she seemed really pessimistic after hurting her ankle only saying she 'hoped' to be back in Aus next year. I think the likes of Davenport and Henin will be around for another few years but I get the feeling that Henin will always be sick/injured. Hingis seems fairly fresh at the moment so it'll be interesting to see how she does over the next few months.
    Hope Baghdatis wins the mens!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireshm)
    I really can't see Clijsters sticking around for much longer- she has her Slam, has been number 1 and got a bunch of titles- not that she couldn't do lots more but shes not going to be able to stick these injuries much longer and she seemed really pessimistic after hurting her ankle only saying she 'hoped' to be back in Aus next year. I think the likes of Davenport and Henin will be around for another few years but I get the feeling that Henin will always be sick/injured. Hingis seems fairly fresh at the moment so it'll be interesting to see how she does over the next few months.
    Davenport, no way, I can only seeing her lasting till next year, tops, if she wins a slam this year, i think she will retire

ReputationRep:
    If you're just starting out I would recommend a mini-mal, no shorter than 7'3" in length.

Any less and you're gonna have difficulty getting up on a wave. A mini-mal is a good choice as it will allow you to progress with surfing the green, yet still give you the stability to get a good wave count.

ReputationRep:
    i dunno mayb rossi to like rbr or str?? to see if hes actually any good on 4 wheels but deffinately a possibility for the future in some capacity IF he(rossi) decides he wants to do f1. Future of Ferrari could b interesting in the post-schumi era 4 sure as they want raikkonen and will by that advance probably get him end of season if schumi retires then to partner him they'll probably keep Massa as he has the right management or go 4 someone like Jense who will leave BAR if Rubens kicks his ass(which he probably will) or if they just don't improve to the level of beimg able to get wins.

ReputationRep:
    Jensen can't leave BAR he has done a longterm ish contract with honda which cost him, then he got repaid anyway. Schumi won't retire, he's going to be around if ferrari get back to their winning ways. Massa is so obviously going to be at somewhere like STR next season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireshm)
    I think cjlisters is retiring in 2 years, she has said in the past.

http://english.people.com.cn/200510/...06_212798.html

ReputationRep:
    sorry i just had to respond to some of the crap written about baghdatis above, beyond the fact that knowone in the know has said anything to the effect that baghdatis is a druggie (whereas as puerta, and quite a few other argies had previously been subject to a ban) the reality is this guy is 20 ! he was a phenomenal junior, as was federer. But when did federer start making an impact?, it was not till he had been in the proper game for a few years; most people think he was so good he just hadn't got to grips with utilising his natural talent, likewise this could be the reason baghdatis seems to have been moderate up till now,but maybe it shouldn't be so shocking when we bare in mind the fact that all the best pro's have invariably been outsatnding juniors (as with child stars, e.g. macauley culikn, the reverse is NOT TRUE). This guy is not a petr korda who was a moderate for years and then went up a level, this is probbably a major talent who has eventually adapted to the proper game (fitness requirements, etc.). this said i was hoping nalbandian would go through becasue he can actually beat federer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluent in Lies)
    Is there a practical way of making pressups harder without resorting to doing kazillions of repetitions?
    Yes. Your feet are normally level with your hands. If you raise both your feet, say by resting them on a chair/sofa or bed, then more of your body weight will shift onto your arms. You could get your baby brother to sit on your back. Eventually you will have to move to proper weights, the bench press.

If you are that strong and press-ups are too easy for you, then the 1 arm version might be what you are after.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teenageclay)
    Well basically I'm looking to train my biceps and triceps nd was wondering if you could help with some exercises I mean I've been doing standard curls and things like that for my biceps and I've been doing tricep presses for my triceps. are there any other exercise that target those parts of the arms.
    Not I only have acess to dumbells and chin-up bars.
    Thanks
    Patrick
    Don't just train a few muscles, train them all.

They grow best when they're training together.

Also, if you train your triceps but not your chest or shoulders it will be a problem when you come to train chest by doing dips since your triceps will all the work.

Also, by squatting you supposedly release a growth hormone (this is a good thing ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RMIM)
    Yes. Your feet are normally level with your hands. If you raise both your feet, say by resting them on a chair/sofa or bed, then more of your body weight will shift onto your arms. You could get your baby brother to sit on your back. Eventually you will have to move to proper weights, the bench press.

If you are that strong and press-ups are too easy for you, then the 1 arm version might be what you are after.
    Yeah, I guess thats what I'm working towards, the single armed (can't do it really yet) I'll just keep working the handstand pressups.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you don't lift extremely heavy at a young age then no, it does NOT cause growth stunt.

ReputationRep:
    I play and watch badminton; I love it! I watched the All England Open on the tv the other week (in which China won everything except the mens doubles!).

As for injuries; I got hit on the head by my partner once with his racket, that hurt! The idiot.

ReputationRep:
    Lol not as bad as when you hit yourself with your racket :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluent in Lies)
    Yeah, I guess thats what I'm working towards, the single armed (can't do it really yet) I'll just keep working the handstand pressups.
    There is even the clapping press-up. However, if you’re 18years old or up - a nice cheap weightlifting set from Argos is what you need. A simple bench press bench + Cast iron barbell and dumbbell set. Don’t buy the plastic rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah maybe one day I shall treat myself Thanks for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    what ferrari want ferrari get regardless of long term contracts!!! And plus any driver in his right mind wants to drive for ferrari even when they're not winning!!! Like Schumi in 96 mcmowers were offering more money but he chose Ferrari but Jense would be a deffinate second choice if Kimi was unavailable. I personally would quite like to seen Juan pablo Montoya at Ferrari as long as he sorta grew up a bit lol!!!

Re Flipper he is managed by JT's son so he will get a couple yrs at ferrari and i really rate him as a good driver and i think he may be a surprise package for 2006!!!

Re Schumi: He will retire before the start of the 08 season so mayb 2 more yrs and maybe is he creams the field this yr which i fully expect them to do he is fairly likely decide to go out on top as 8times world dc.

ReputationRep:
    Ferrari seem to be static at the moment. The big impressionists are Honda. They seem to be pushing forward, making a name and doing things differently. If the Ferrari position was available for Button to take, I think he would decline.

It's make or break season for Button though, certainly against Rubens.
    I think he'll do it though, and this years F1 looks set to be terrific.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s-t-e-v-e-n)
    sorry i just had to respond to some of the crap written about baghdatis above, beyond the fact that knowone in the know has said anything to the effect that baghdatis is a druggie (whereas as puerta, and quite a few other argies had previously been subject to a ban) the reality is this guy is 20 ! he was a phenomenal junior, as was federer. But when did federer start making an impact?, it was not till he had been in the proper game for a few years; most people think he was so good he just hadn't got to grips with utilising his natural talent, likewise this could be the reason baghdatis seems to have been moderate up till now,but maybe it shouldn't be so shocking when we bare in mind the fact that all the best pro's have invariably been outsatnding juniors (as with child stars, e.g. macauley culikn, the reverse is NOT TRUE). This guy is not a petr korda who was a moderate for years and then went up a level, this is probbably a major talent who has eventually adapted to the proper game (fitness requirements, etc.). this said i was hoping nalbandian would go through becasue he can actually beat federer
    it's not 'absolute crap'. That's pathetic. There are sceptics, cynics, some doubt and understandably so. To make such a gigantic leap like Baghdatis has done....you will have people THINKING about drugs in sport. We haven't accused him, but there are possibilities, even if they seem so unlikely. Look, before accusing us of this 'absolute crap', read through our ****ing posts ok.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.