Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hehe oops. allez les dragons!

ReputationRep:
    You read my mind Bailey. I am 23 and 2 years ago I got so unfit that I struggled with 5km on the treadmill. I can now do 6km.

What I am asking is, if I wanted to do a run out side would it be a lot harder. I am not a fan of running down the street.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I think thats probably a fair synopsis of both games! Although I really was appalled by the Irish defence and decision making at times!

C

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I saw, Traa's run looked much better to me as well, but thats about the first time i've ever seen a moguls event :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anduril)
    England weren't exactly inspiring tho.....
    I think they responded to the so-call Dallaglio effect...the try count does seem to rocket whenever he steps onto the pitch - absolutely awesome player.

Also - you cant argue that some of the moves from the backs we're awesome - Hodgson's solo efforts were immensely good, and Tindall's try aswell was superb to watch...

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys

Any cycling fans out there?

I was thinking of getting into cycling competitively and wondered if anyone out there is a keen cyclist, or like me, thinking about getting into the sport?

Road Racing appeals to me the most. If anyone out there knows anything about specifics, such as training programs, good bikes for a newcomer (obviously i'd want to train for however long required prior to entering competitions) or has any further advice please give me a shout.

Cheers

TC

p.s. Is there a cycling society or anything on TSR?

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

cycling's a great sport to choose. I got into cycling about 5 months ago when I bought my first road bike and did a bit of training on my own before getting involved with my local club last month. Joining a club is just about the only way to get involved in competitive cycling, but it will take a lot of training (I try to do 200 miles a week and I'm not up to competitive standard yet). If you want to buy a racing bike (drop handlebars, racing frame etc.) you'll regret spending any less than £500, although you can get bikes for less. My reccomendation would be the 'Specialized Allez' at retail price £500 (check out www.evanscycling.com for decent mail order stuff). As to training programs, you'll probably just want to get out on your bike as often as possible (its also important to keep your weight down). Also, check out www.cycling.tv for some pro-race highlights.

Hope this helps,

Nathan.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone watch the men's downhill?? Unbelieveable from Deneriaz. Absolutely smashed Walchhofer's time. A surprise winner!! Poor performances from Maier, Miller and the favourite Rahlves though

ReputationRep:
    the luge looks so cool i wanna try it

ReputationRep:
    These are proper ****. I'm glad they put it on BBC2, no-one ever watches that channel. Unless you are 70+ or have ginger hair.

ReputationRep:
    Pakistan!! Yay!! :d

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multiplexed)
    These are proper ****. I'm glad they put it on BBC2, no-one ever watches that channel. Unless you are 70+ or have ginger hair.
    More of a channel 5 viewer then? Whats your favourite event?

ReputationRep:
    I like the snowboarding! I was taking snowboarding lessons on the indoor ski slope near me, but it was too expensive so I gave it up

I think the Winter Olympics will boost the number of people who go skiing, snowboarding and skating on the ski-slopes and rinks around here!

ReputationRep:
    I'm watching the snowboarding at the moment, it's so exciting! I love the skiing aswell!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    More of a channel 5 viewer then? Whats your favourite event?
    Channel 5 used to be good but then it kind of died. I think it's Channel 4 all the way now.

What do you mean favourite event? I would watch the winter olympics if they had something exciting like that movie they made, "cool runnings", which was based on a true story about a jamaican bob-sled team who nearly won it.

ReputationRep:
    "Sanka ye Dead?"

hehehehehehehehehehe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multiplexed)
    Channel 5 used to be good but then it kind of died. I think it's Channel 4 all the way now.

What do you mean favourite event? I would watch the winter olympics if they had something exciting like that movie they made, "cool runnings", which was based on a true story about a jamaican bob-sled team who nearly won it.

Channel 4 is really good now. BBC are decent. ITV is crap now and channel 5 isnt worth a mention. There are stories like 'cool runnings' if you actually watch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clarence)
    "Sanka ye Dead?"

hehehehehehehehehehe
    I LOVE that film!!! I wanted to try bob-sledding after watching that, but then on second thoughts it looks a bit too scary for me!!! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I personally love multisports events like the Olympics, winter or summer, and the Commonwealths.

It gives people the chance to broaden their single-mindedness with regards to the usual sports like football, rugby and cricket, and actually appreiciate that other sports exist and are popular in their own circles.

I remember 4 years ago I stayed up and watched the Rhona Martin and her curling rink beat the Swiss with the last stone of the final - fantastic stuff.

The snowboarding half pipe was excellent earlier, as was the Men's Downhill.
    Luge should be good tonight, and the Ski-Jump (Normal slope).

Ice-Hockey is always great viewing, as is the Bob/Skeleton/Luge simply because of the speeds involved.

I'm disappointed that Michelle Kwan has pulled out of the figure skating, as on her day injury free she would deliver a masterclass, and the gold would be hers to lose.

As for some of the viewpoints raised above; I wonder if the Winter Games would be dismissed so rashly if GB enjoyed more success.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)
    As for some of the viewpoints raised above; I wonder if the Winter Games would be dismissed so rashly if GB enjoyed more success.
    I think we're just bitter that unlike so many other countries, for most of us going skiing or snowboarding for a holiday is beyond our means because we have to fly places. When I think about it, we probably have loads of untapped talent because kids simply don't have the opportunities that perhaps American or Canadian or European kids have. That's just life I guess.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.