Archive SPTM/0003/REC/HPOO Watch

This discussion is closed.
bikerx23
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
yea...well - too often your drive and desire, especially at international level, will lead you to act in an uncharacteristic way.

I would agree with scotland being traditionally ill-disciplined against england, but then so are wales and ireland, traditionally. Personally what murray did is something I would do in the same circumstance...although sadly he would have only got a yellow if he'd got up and beaten the crap out of him instead.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
But you're supposed to be professionals and as such should act like it. :p:
Lemonsoul
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Phil,

I cycle every day if I can. About 20-30 miles on weekdays, 40-50 miles each day on weekends, less if the weather's bad. Yeah, I trained alone to begin with, because I didn't know anyone else who cycled and because even if I did know anyone else I wouldn't have been able to keep up with them. If your going out every day then you will not be able to find a training partner all the time. After buying my bike you I trained until I could sustain about 18 mph for three hours or so, which meant that when I joined my local club I could keep up well enough on club runs.

As to how hard you should push yourself, I'd say just choose a 15 mile route and cycle it whenever you can, as fast as you can whilst maintaining a steady pace. If your performance begins to drop, then just rest for a couple of days. Then when you feel confident enough, choose a longer route. Ring up your local club (find it on the web) and ask them what sort of speeds they train at, then once you can make those sort of speeds on your own, you're ready to join. Your local club might even have a ride for newcomers (though mine didn't).

If you want to spend money on a turbo trainer (the 'blocks' you refer to) then you can train indoors over the winter, though outdoors is always better (and its cheaper to buy a pair of long tights and brave the cold).

No, my diet's pretty average but I always take bananas with me when I go cycling, so at least I get some fruit. But then again I'm not really pushing to be able to take part in races etc, I just like the sport.

All the best,

Nathan.
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I agree with you in principle, but you could also argue that the person who commited the professional fowl, as both the examples I stated where I find it appropriate did, should have acted as a professional.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You certainly can. And having seen a fair few university rugby matches I have seen a fair bit of unprofessionalism.
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
well - its what makes the game more fun...

what pisses me off is that that can happen in response to a professional fowl, yet you can easily get away with something similar in a ruck situation. Who knows though...I suppose its my contempt from having so many blind refs in the past...
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Each to their own I guess.

Anyway, I'm going to be biased and say England for the Six Nations.
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
how is that biased? its the obvious call!

It would have been biased 2 weeks ago admittedly, when I first made it...but then again I have a hell of a lot of faith in the team being picked...if only they could get dallaglio out there for more of it though - the game gets one notch higher with him on the pitch
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I never agreed with France being pretournament favourites and Wales have gone shambolic since last year. I expected France to lose to Scotland, that they did. England still need to pick up performancewise though.
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I expected that from france too...loads of my mates here have been silent since. I would have expected on form scotland to beat wales, so shame for the cardage...but its all good.

Englands current form could win them the grand slam, but I agree - they should not make it a question in anyones mind
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
France were lucky to have beaten Scotland and England last year. I think their time could well be up.
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Well...they could be a very good team...but they dont have much strength in depth.
I agree that last year they were lucky to beat England, but so were ireland and the wales game was close (draw would prob. be fair...)
Cant remember the scotland game - but they are certainly a much more impressive unit now
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Wonder what the England v Scotland and England v France (I'm ignoring who is at home and who is away) games will be like.
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I cant wait to be honest - I think it could be the closest Calcutta cup in a long time...but I just hope England gets the cohesion it shows in the latter parts of the games throughout. You've got to say though, the backs have certainly answered their critics
Bailey
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
Generallly expect to be able to run around 1/2 the distance. Seriously! The treadmill is a useful machine for general fitness and cardio but it is unnatural. There are so many things to consider when running outside. The terrain will be much harder on your legs and feet as it will vary, also consider the elements!!!!! you simply cannot prepare for the wind indoors!
Choose your run carefully; running in the road over a long period of time can have bad effects on your joints and lower back. Try to find nice grassy areas with a few hills and such. If you are just running for fitness try doing 1/2 and 1/2. Running in a gym smells too.
Run outside and be free.......
Happy training!
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Where did Adam Rosen come? I really enjoyed the freestlying skiing (is that what it was?) yesterday. I watched the womens' and I loved the jumps.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Having seen the red card incident on the highlights I would call that as a lack of discipline.

Only one team now can do the grandslam and it's England.
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Fair enough everyones different - personally if i could use discression I would say yellow for him and not penalise the guy for the late tackle - as everyone said, the incident did ruin the game, lets just hope he doesn't get a big ban for it. Personally I've receieved much worse with no repurcussions...

and, hell yea! come on England!
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
True but I think players could abuse the law of the game if they suspect that the referee will not apply the rules of the game as perhaps should on the basis of the game as you said.

How can you say yellow only to an off the ball assault? j/w
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Well - I think scuffles are often a part of a game - If it is something resulting from a ruck.etc., and doesn't get serious just get them apart and warn them, then if there is a repeat incident yellow.
If it gets quite bad, i.e., other members wade in, yellow the original perps and then anyone who is being a provocative arse
and if it is an unrelated assault to the game - i.e., someone just randomly takes someone out betsen style then straight red
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (266)
38.66%
No - but I will (46)
6.69%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.41%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (325)
47.24%

Watched Threads