Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _EMMA_)

anyone that watches curling?
    i have never really understood that game:confused:

Bowls on ice, not difficult, end up being nearer to the middle of the circles than your opponents basically.

GB Women have just beaten the Swiss Women (in a repeat of the SLC Final) 5-4, with once again it going down to the last stone in the 10th end.

ReputationRep:
    What a win!! Great last end.

ReputationRep:
    Bad crash just now in the combined downhill.

ReputationRep:
    Damn, i'm missing all of these crashes.

I wish i had digital tv right now. Been skiing on 3 seperate occasions, the last time was a little over a year ago now - skiing in agony from 10 mins on - my legs were so in pain. Hadn't trained or got in any modicum of fitness at all hmmm....

I was surprised to see how young the women snowboarders all were but of course i'm not an expert on 'cold' sports hence i didn't really know about the youthful nature to such events, obviously younger people heal quicker if and when they get injured. There was a chinese or japanese girl skiing yesterday, she looked 18ish but she was either 29,30, or 31. Was gobsmacked.

ReputationRep:
    yeah dude but the snow boarding is the ****in best

ReputationRep:
    i dont understand curling aswell

ReputationRep:
    Another crash, not as bad this time!

ReputationRep:
    wohoo!!!!
    i'm so happy right now, can't stop smiling
    gold in team sprint for both males and females!!
    and the males won over norway!! that doesn't happen every day.

that it happen the same day, within the same hour, ohh i'm so happy!

ReputationRep:
    Only been skiing once, this time last year but cant wait to go again. I hope its sooner rather than later!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by datask8er)
    i dont understand curling aswell
    curling is shít IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard)
    curling is shít IMO.
    It's not a classic sport is it!

However, it's one of the only events we stand a chance of a medal (or two) in, so we shouldn't knock it!

ReputationRep:
    This is just my thought, but even though it is quite interesting to see downhill slalom skiing don't you think it would be more exciting to have say 4 man heats?
    This would make it make actually a race rather than just trying to get the best time.

Does anyone know why they haven't done it like this before, or is it just too dangerous?

ReputationRep:
    I think there would be a concern that if one guy took a spill, he could disrupt the skiing of his competitors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    I think there would be a concern that if one guy took a spill, he could disrupt the skiing of his competitors.
    True, but they let the snowboarding people race each other, and I saw one of the english girls on the news say it was always a risk, because someone could take you out and that'd be it... So skiiers are allowed to be safe but not snowboarders

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sidekick)
    True, but they let the snowboarding people race each other, and I saw one of the english girls on the news say it was always a risk, because someone could take you out and that'd be it... So skiiers are allowed to be safe but not snowboarders
    Well, there are two skis per person, but only one snowboard per person. It seems more likely that competitors would get their skis tangled with one another and cause serious injury, than snowboarders doing great harm to one another.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh what a shame in the Mens combined. I was hoping for a great climax but now Raich looks to have it in the bag provided he gets a clean run. Shame for Miller.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh what a shame in the Mens combined. I was hoping for a great climax but now Raich looks to have it in the bag provided he gets a clean run. Shame for Miller.
    i always appreciate a great climax.

Yes i hear Miller has been DQN - why is this so? That's a shame.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    Its not that bad, can be enjoyable if you get into it. Although my interest was mainly stimulated by GB's success
    stimulated by rhona?

How cool is the luge, frickin awesome, but when i next go to a 'cold' place i may try snowboarding instead of the usual skiing - which hurts the knees most?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Today we did a discussion at University on violence and aggression in Sport and especially football. Key Questions.

What is acceptable violence and what is going too far? i.e boxing throwing a punch after the bell has rung to stop the match

Would Wayne Rooney be the player he is without his aggression and foul mouth, is that just passion and the will to win or is he going to far?

And should the governing bodies deal with any such problems or should the police step in? e.g. Should the police intervene when a player goes too far i.e Kieron Dyer and Lee Bowyer fighting on the field during the Newcastle and Aston Villa Football Match in April.

Certain issues include if you smack someone in the street you would be arrested but if you did it during say a football match or ice hockey you'd at most get a fine and a ban

ReputationRep:
    I am also training for a 10k run too, so this advice is handy!

I am currently only training on a treadmill, but thats because the weather outside at the moment is so bad. When spring finally hits, ill be doing some outdoor runs.

Can you think of any run preparation for a 10k? I dont have the time to do 10K runs every time I practice. What pace is it recommended to train at in order to build stamina over long distances.
    I am not sure if the scales on a treadmill are universal but I can run comfortably at 14/14.5, however, the tiredness kicks in after about 10 mins. Would speed 11 be a good pace to keep for the whole run?

Thanks...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.