Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    When was the last time you saw a talented black swimmer? O.o'
    It is just to partly do with genetics I guess. People from the caribbean are better at sprinting, high muscle energy release stuff. Africans seem to be good at endurance, long distance, asian people are good at reaction sports: badminton, cricket, table tennis. Just the way it goes kind of (sorry if those sound like sweeping generalisations but I do have a slight point )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xelprep)
    Your Lord gave blackie muscle but not brain. Your Lord gave whitie brain but not muscle. Understand? *Case closed*
    And Lord has here presented us with a dumbass.

The reason black people tend to be better at sports is due to us naturally having a more athletic build through evolution. And whoever said football is dominated by whites that is not 100% true. In this country, maybe yes, although that is now rapidly changing. Brazil anyone?

Ah yes, about swimming. I swam for my borough a couple of years back (Newham) and have 5 medals to show for it. The black people and swimming thing is just a myth. I think its more psychological than physiological.

ReputationRep:
    ^

I don't think i have seen a black snooker player. On championships or at local clubs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unique2)
    ^

I don't think i have seen a black snooker player. On championships or at local clubs.
    Snooker, like darts, should not be classed as a sport :p: . Anything where you can be fat, unhealthy and still be champion is just not a sport IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G_H_G)
    The black people and swimming thing is just a myth. I think its more psychological than physiological.
    It's the hair thing i tell you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    It's the hair thing i tell you!
    Well I don't have much hair to worry about .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Only some sports though - it's about the physical differences. They're great at running and stuff because their skeletons are built slightly differently so their joints are more suited to it.
    I heard a rumour that its due to slavery to some extent. When placed under scrutiny it does stand up quite well too, the best example of this being sprinting:

The majority of American/Carribean slaves originated in West Africa, yet, there are fewer west africans who compete in these disciplines from those who are now resident in america.etc.
    It is possible that enforced selective breeding between the stronger of the slaves to provide a more efficient workforce is responsible for some of this improvement, as this would follow darwinian selection principles of the interbreeding of the stronger of the population producing a stronger race, but without this occuring to the extent where inbreeding occurs.

Also, this makes a fantastic paradox when american racists claim its unfair allowing blacks to compete when its could have been their oppresion that resulted in the victories they see now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shaby)
    it depends on which sports.

football is dominated by whites
    cricket is dominated by asians
    basketball is dominated by blacks
    hockey is dominated by asians/whites
    rugby is dominated by white/black
    The black population playing professional football in this country is disproportionately large in comparison to their population in this country, therefore it would be a better estimate to say it was black dominated, not white.

rugby tends to be more dominated by the indigenous population of the country, or, in the case of NZ, the indigenous population of the pacific islands.

Cricket tends to be at a good equilibrium with the country its being played in - i.e., the racial mix in the team usually reflects the population pretty well.

ReputationRep:
    has anyone ever seen a black person play snooker or darts?

ReputationRep:
    Yea - not professionally....I think those sports are yet another cultural thing though...

ReputationRep:
    the black athletes who do sprinting and other explosive sports (usually african americans or black british) genetically have more fast glycolytic fibres and fast oxidative fibres throughout their muscular system. they also have a higher center of gravity and higher levels of testosterone in their blood, all of which make them better at what they do. there are quite a lot of them who are just genetically made this way. they are certainly not superior though, whoever said that is a complete moron.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salla)
    IIt's always somehow more precious to have a medal in the Olympics than in some every year event. Hockey teams of Canada and the USA might be slightly annoyed about their results this year. ;P
    Well, all of Canada is enraged after their poor performance, but probably the only people in the US upset over the outcome are the players themselves. Americans don't really follow hockey that much, typically. Those of us who do follow it are used to supporting foreign teams in international competition, because American players realize that there is no popular support for them, and typically only compete when the tournament is on US soil.

ReputationRep:
    here briefly posting from work. Hopefully I will have a new pooter at the weekend and be pestering you all again.

ReputationRep:
    Yay!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if someone has already but mentioned this but, the major reason of why black people are good at some sports and not others is cultural...

If we're talking about being good at a competition level, then black people are good at certain sports because of where they come from. The Kenyans are usually excellent at long distance running because training in their home country is at altitude - at altidude there is a difference in the oxygen. When they come to say England to race we are not at altitude, so they can utilise the oxygen available more efficiently, thus being able to run for longer and often faster.

Using the Kenyans again as an example, you rarely see a Kenyan Olympic swimmer... this is not because they don't like getting their hair wet as I read earlier on in the thread, but because there is simply no-where for them to train. Many countries in Africa are extremely poor and can't even afford clean water, let alone a whole swimming pool. So, nowhere to train means lack of swimmers!

Running on the otherhand does not cost anything and needs no equipment at all, which is why people in these countries favour it and why we see many more black athletes who run. Also, many sports are black-dominated because it is the cheapest way for them to earn recognition and help look after their families (I'm speaking about athletes from third worl countries). In the developed countries in the West, we can look after our families by going out to work, getting good jobs etc, but in the developing countries, there is little opportunity for well paid work. Sport offers an alternative, and also gives many young people in these countries positive role models for they themselves to work hard for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lil_lee)
    Using the Kenyans again as an example, you rarely see a Kenyan Olympic swimmer... this is not because they don't like getting their hair wet as I read earlier on in the thread, but because there is simply no-where for them to train. Many countries in Africa are extremely poor and can't even afford clean water, let alone a whole swimming pool. So, nowhere to train means lack of swimmers!
    So why doesn't the USA have very many black swimmers on its teams? I'm sure they can afford to train them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    So why doesn't the USA have very many black swimmers on its teams? I'm sure they can afford to train them
    Hrmm, well then I guess in a highly-developed country like the USA where they can afford to do most sports it all comes down to personal preference :p:

ReputationRep:
    They're not better than white people at sports but they're more successful in track athletics because they have higher endurance... which they've inherited from past generations who endured more 'hardship' compared to their western counterparts.

ReputationRep:
    -table tennis
    -swimming
    -gymnastics
    -airsports
    -cycling
    -climbing
    -shooting/archery
    -skiing
    -snooker
    -darts
    -erm, curling

Yeah, the last 3 are barely sports, but hey. I'm sure there are more - but by 'better at sport' you mean 'better at 2 or 3 sports'.

On the other hand, Cricket aside, does India/Pakistan have any sporting areas of excellence? I'm pleading ignorance more than anything here, I'm just genuinely interested in what their world class sportspeople do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brabzzz)
    On the other hand, Cricket aside, does India/Pakistan have any sporting areas of excellence? I'm pleading ignorance more than anything here, I'm just genuinely interested in what their world class sportspeople do.
    I've seen them in running events, but whether or not they're any good I don;t know! They must be quite good to get to Olympic/competition level, but I don;t think there's that many.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.