Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm not completely savvy regarding the comings and goings in the Mens game, and womens for that matter.

Davydenko seems to have shot up in terms of quality and success in the last 24 months in particular - correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't this the same player who played Arvind Parmar in two successive years in the early round at Wimbledon? losing one of the games and winning the other, but even then, not much was being made of this Davydenko bloke...he is a late bloomer then? but of course he wasn't that much of a household name because his favourite surface is certainly not grass.

I much prefer Hewitt's 'workman-like' style of play than Davydenkos...it's more stylish rather Davydenkos player is rather wooden really.

It will be a tall order for Murray to beat Davydenko, but whats important is that its best of three sets...proof of the pudding is whether Murray can pull things off and gain success when its best of five sets, i'd be lying if i said i wasn't worried about Murray when it comes to best of five, due to his struggling with this format last summer, but hopefully he's strengthened on the physical basis - once he's confident in his own ability on the 5 set basis then mentally he'll be fine.

I GO FOR DAVYDENKO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard)

I much prefer Hewitt's 'workman-like' style of play than Davydenkos...it's more stylish rather Davydenkos player is rather wooden really.

I GO FOR DAVYDENKO.

and i agree, beating roddick and an out-of-form hewitt is something, but i reckon dadydenko will be a completely different test.

henman had no trouble in beating the american 'wonderkid'

i agree with what you say about the 5 sets to, last year he seemed to suffer quite abit, when it comes to wimbledon we'll have to see i suppose (not hoping for much at roland garros) he is already 4th fave to win, after fed, rod and hewitt. (they really dont have a clue do they?!!!)
    hopefully joachim johansson will find some form after quite a heavy injury, i remember before his injury thinking he had a pretty good game to be able to defeat federer.
    safins back!!!! with long hair!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robusty)
    i still think archery is great in its own way....maybe not as stimulating as fencing, but its got its own taste of skill that not a lot of ppl have
    Each to their own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nhdb13)
    Each to their own.
    Exactly!

ReputationRep:
    Yes i think J. Johansson could well do an Ivanisevic when it comes to Wimbledon, lets face it, the year Ivanisevic won Wimbledon, his serve was absolutely immense, so good and so many aces that it seriously píssed me off with grass court tennis...bang bang bang bang = game etc...

Johansson's game is huge when his serve is on form...i actually think Murray could easily become a hate figure - at least portrayed as such in various members of the press - the Sun's of this world etc....because Murray will be coming into Wimbledon with dumb a ss reporters asking dumb a ss questions like "Andy, do you think this is your year?"....making silly irrational comments like "Andy, you've had fair bit of success throughout the year, can you transfer this to Wimbledon?"....and Murray will be saying realistic comments but of course, the press will spin comments around to suggest Murray is a negative little brat -

but allegedly the courts at Wimbledon are slowing, Henman isnt happy about this, so in years progressing, this will no doubt favour the clay courts/hard court players more...they won't slow enough to such an extent though. Murray will never win Wimbledon IMO.

Too many noobs come Wimbledon and the British tennis calender.

ReputationRep:
    Murray vs Davydenko is a great match up. Both relatively defensive players who take advantage on opportunities when they arise. Davydenko has played some great tennis over the past year rising to 5th in the world but it has to be said he is very unreliable. He can come out and cruise 6-2 6-2 or come out and lose the 1st set 6-2 and then fake an injury before retiring. Only 3 weeks ago he lost in 2 sets to Korolov, who? Murray isnt exactly reliable either, got battered by Robredo who was in poor form although it has to be said he is a decent player. Murray needs to serve well, his second serve is poor. Must maintain a high % of 1st serves otherwise Davydenko will break with ease. However Davydenko is not exactly unbreakable. The surface is quite gritty and slow for a hard court which will favour Davydenko. Come on Muzza!! Been raining in IW so the match wont start for a few hours

Regarding Joachim Johansson, he has great potential and a massive serve. Shame he got injured after Wimbledon last year and was out until a couple of weeks back where he injured himself again.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think anyone deserves the media and criticisms murray is going to get after henman (never winning wimbledon etc etc)
    despite what people say, i reckon he is one of the most mentally strong 18 year olds i know of.

ReputationRep:
    Bloody rain . Hopefully Sky Sports will show his match later!!!

ReputationRep:
    ****ing **** from England

ReputationRep:
    Rueful, absolutely rueful....

ReputationRep:
    that whole game was a complete shambles man. it looked like amateur rugby let alone country level! it's probably the worst performance i've seen from england. something needs to change and pronto.

regards
    --marty
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    that was a pathetic effort england were a load of ****

ReputationRep:
    I thought it would be useful to have a thread that just explains some rugby rules. I do not understand how advantage works?

ReputationRep:
    worst weekend of 6 nations rugby i've seen...

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a clue about rugby. I don't watch it and never will

ReputationRep:
    Advantage works by basically allowing a team to play on when the opposite team make an error (aka a foul [e.g. knocking the ball on]) even though play should be stopped after the error has been made.

hope that makes sense :confused:

regards
    --marty

ReputationRep:
    i was just wondering how long a basketball match is

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    "pardon my french..."

ReputationRep:
    He's fighting against argentine Diego Alejandro Madole on 25th march.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.