The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 960
To be fair, this is a pretty poor final. Neither team is that exciting, and with the exception of Tim Duncan, no other players really have that superstar status that really makes you want to watch the games.
As Ditzy said, everyone starts somewhere. :smile:
Xenon
Ok guys. Thanks for your input. Seems like subforums are not too good an idea for the sports forum just now. Plus the fact that all the main people will probably boycott the forum or something in protest! :d. No subforums just now for sports!

sounds like a plan. just make the f1 thread sticky svp :wink: :biggrin:
So even though a majority of people want individual forums you're not making them............
What are peoples views on promotion via the playoffs?
Albinosheeps
Hey, which NBA team do you support? I use to like Lakers but somehow they went down.

i like the sixers..used to like the lakers aswell but trading shaq was dumb:P i quite like the Nets at the moment aswell and like i said earlier Miami heat..reckon they've got a good combo with wade and shaq..but to be fair if you've good shaq on your team your sorted pass it in to the post and bang..arrogant chap tho :p: saw him on cribs and his basketball courts called the shaq centre the swimming pools called shaqopoco(or howeva its spelt) at least tim duncan is humble with his talent..maybe thats cos he started off later?
Really I think it's a good thing in any sport where you have large leagues. AFter all there maybe not much to pick between two teams a palce or two appart in terms of ability. One might have just had more luck than another over the season and end up a place or two higher. A worse team may even have mad some luck and finished higher than a better team. So play offs can be considered as a way to level out any luck a team may have had over the season.

After all if the third team really is the third best, then surely they would come through the play offs with no problems :p:
i think theyre good fun
its like the cup final of certain teams and they give it their all
good entertainment (especially the tears! :wink: )
Reply 968
Ryan Jones had a really good game, I think he's surprised a lot of people, myself included! I would put him in the Test 22...Good 2nd half for the Lions against an Otago team who had prepared for 10 days exclusively for this game. D'Arcy's bad run continues, doesn't look like he'll make the Test team...
Reply 969
I agree he should make the bench if moody is still off injured...he's got the pace and flair to inject into the game that makes him a "game breaking" player...exactly what you need on the bench.
Corry the donkey is sadly the only option for no8 though! jones cant get in the test side on 1 performance!
Reply 970
Agreed, Ryan Jones simply awesome! Yet Clive will resort to the Old Guard in the 1st test.

Cuisiter is pushing Dawson close for a bench place. D'Arcy is certainly off the pace.

Easterby was quite good, although I think he'll be a major threat come test 2 & 3 to Hill's place. However, Williams didn't impress me that much to be honest.

Again, Shane Williams gives me nightmares! Okay sometimes he can do brilliant stuff but the 1st half was a shocker! What on earth was he doing kicking ball into stupid areas?!

I think Clive’s Test Team will look something like this:

1. Jenkins
2. Byrne
3. White
4. O'Connell
5. Grewcock
6. Hill
7. Back
8. Corry
9. Peel
10. Wilkinson
11. Robinson
12. Henson
13. O'Driscoll
14. Smith?!!!!!!!!! What do you think??
15. Lewsey

Let me explain Oli Smith.... I think the Lions need a truly solid winger here. Oli Smith is great in both defense and attack. I know this is unconventional but I really think he could make a huge impact here. I doubt he will get a chance at centre this tour but with Shanklin, Hickie, Williams, Thomas showing their weakness in defense I think it might spice things up with Smith out wide.

He's got the pace and defensive skills to adapt and maybe the All Blacks might not expect such a force on the wing. Remember Clive likes to spring surprises, maybe this could be an option nobody has looked at. Saying that maybe Murphy? Its a hard one to call but Im sure if Williams ends up playing, we're asking for trouble.
Reply 971
Yay, really good lesson this week to make up for last weeks sucky one!! We went outside and spent the last half of the lesson going for a "steady canter" round the biggest field (translation:galloping and racing each other, much fun!!) And I won despite being on a little 14 hand mare compared to the great big 17.2 hunters!!
Reply 972
hossy
Agreed, Ryan Jones simply awesome! Yet Clive will resort to the Old Guard in the 1st test.

Cuisiter is pushing Dawson close for a bench place. D'Arcy is certainly off the pace.

Easterby was quite good, although I think he'll be a major threat come test 2 & 3 to Hill's place. However, Williams didn't impress me that much to be honest.

Again, Shane Williams gives me nightmares! Okay sometimes he can do brilliant stuff but the 1st half was a shocker! What on earth was he doing kicking ball into stupid areas?!

I think Clive’s Test Team will look something like this:

1. Jenkins
2. Byrne
3. White
4. O'Connell
5. Grewcock
6. Hill
7. Back
8. Corry
9. Peel
10. Wilkinson
11. Robinson
12. Henson
13. O'Driscoll
14. Smith?!!!!!!!!! What do you think??
15. Lewsey

Let me explain Oli Smith.... I think the Lions need a truly solid winger here. Oli Smith is great in both defense and attack. I know this is unconventional but I really think he could make a huge impact here. I doubt he will get a chance at centre this tour but with Shanklin, Hickie, Williams, Thomas showing their weakness in defense I think it might spice things up with Smith out wide.

He's got the pace and defensive skills to adapt and maybe the All Blacks might not expect such a force on the wing. Remember Clive likes to spring surprises, maybe this could be an option nobody has looked at. Saying that maybe Murphy? Its a hard one to call but Im sure if Williams ends up playing, we're asking for trouble.

Thats a great team but I don't know if SCW will pick it. Good point about Smith (like you said would be an unexpected and we need tricks up our sleeves against the All Blacks) but do you think SCW will see it that way? He's always been full of praise for Gareth Thomas' workrate and experience, I think he may go with him for 14.
I don't know about Murphy, he always seems best when he can join the attacking line at any place from Full Back and create surprises with angles and magic passes; the wing seems to limit his options a bit. Williams played well 2nd half, but i can't see him in the Test team. I thought Shanklin was good defensively...? SCW might go with him for no.11 as Robinson hasn't really played yet, but Robinson is tryed and tested quality on his day
I think Grewcock is the right option for 5, but I can see Kay being picked, clive seems to prefer him...?

Good to see Clive praising the Welsh influence in the sqaud on and off the park after the game...lol I HAD to mention that :smile:
joshdajoker
So even though a majority of people want individual forums you're not making them............

i'm not fussed either way to be honest... we can keep all the f1 stuff in the same thread - we just want it stickified :biggrin:
Reply 974
I like the Celtics (along with the rest of New England). I couldn't believe they traded Walker, least they got him back though! Their game seven effort against Indiana this year was disgusting, they lost by what, 30 points or so? :rolleyes:
1st Chelsea
2nd Arsenal
3rd Manchester United

As for 4th I'd like to see Bolton do it! :tsr:
have to say i was very impressed with ryan jones today, maybe he could do what corry did last time round. i''m very dissapointed in darcy because the only other feasible option is henson, i know he has a good kick but i dont think he's all he's cracked up to be. horgan isn't bad but he's versitile and will probably end up on the bench.
i personally would have dawson over cusiter. when it comes to the bench experience is very important. also wasnt too impressed by cusiter when he played ireland in the six nations.
hill is a good player no doubt but i really feel that he's not at his best. i'm getting more muddled with the back row as time goes on. i suppose we'll have to see what happens with moody. i think whatever woodward chooses it won't have been predicted, i think we could all be surprised either way.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

GET IN THERE!!!!!

Rolf Harris, Kylie Minogue, Harry Kewell, Russell Crowe, Right Honourable Mr Howard, your boys took one hell of a beating!!!

This is the end of Australian Cricket as we know it.
Reply 978
take a bow ashraful, that was immense!
Reply 979
take newcastle off that list! more like most likely to be battling for the inter toto cup

Latest