Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The sort of mental and physical training F1 drivers have to go through is crazy. Their bodies are incredibly well tuned, mentally especially. But then again, the same goes for any top sportsman/woman regardless of sport I'd say.

F1, has to sustain acceleration or up to 5G or -5G within seconds - ie. ends up subjecting their skeleton to holding up a force of about 450 kilos before being smacked in the other direction by another 450 kilos.

Do this for hours with maximum concentration in temperatures under your fireproof suits of approximately 40 degrees celcius for 2 hours.

The fittest formula 1 drivers have resting heart rates of under 40.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Chueco)
    all a squash player does is swing his hands holding a racquet to play squash...
    You evidently haven't played squash before. Squash is a very strenuous game, you have be constantly moving, running across court etc. or you will lose the point. If we're talking about physical fitness then 'levels of concentration' don't come into it.
    You're being just as naive here about squash as I may be about F1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HistoryStudent)
    You evidently haven't played squash before. Squash is a very strenuous game, you have be constantly moving, running across court etc. or you will lose the point. If we're talking about physical fitness then 'levels of concentration' don't come into it.
    Yeah, Ben makes relevant points regarding F1 - you have to be extremely physically and mentally 'hard' for both Squash and F1...perhaps i've been guilty myself for being too naive regarding fitness requirements for F1...currently watching the highlights of the Malaysian (i know the results btw ), very humid conditions to contend with.

ReputationRep:
    Tough call, I dont think you can say which is 'fitter', its too broad, you need to look at specific aspects.

ReputationRep:
    F1 drivers without a doubt, they train for 5-6 hours a day when they're not racing.

Squash isn't actually that physically demanding.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say F1 drivers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    F1 drivers without a doubt, they train for 5-6 hours a day when they're not racing.

Quote:

"Squash isn't actually that physically demanding.[/QUOTE]"

That's c rap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    What?!?!?! Whilst F1 is also very physically demanding, I am at a loss to explain how you can even think about saying that squash "isn't that physically demanding". Anyone who plays squash half-decently will come off a court dripping with sweat, and if they're not a professional player, will not be able to move for about two days afterwards - trust me, I've been there. Several weeks ago, I played two inter-county matches, and had to retire from the second in the last game because I physically COULDN'T MOVE from cramp as I was so worn out. Whilst they may partly be a reflection of my fitness (lol), it certainly shows that nobody can say squash "isn't that physically demanding".

This should not detract from that fact that F1 drivers are also extremely fit - but in a totally different way. I'm not an expert, but I would think that F1 is all about endurance, both mental and physical. Squash is also about physical and mental endurance, but in a different way - you have to retain the energy for the constant sprinting and bursts of energy which are necessary, whilst also keeping your mental concentration. Surely F1 is a constant strain on the body but of a lower magnitude than the short bursts needed for squash?

I still can't believe that guy even said that about squash. The ignorance!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    if the F1 driver is michael scumacher then he will be fitter he is in his late 30's and absurdly physically fit after todays grand prix he looked to be the only one not completely knackered. i also think overall F1 drivers will be fitter the G forces their bodies go through is mind blowing and it lasts non stop for 1 1/2 hours wheras squash players have breaks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mazinmatt)
    I still can't believe that guy even said that about squash. The ignorance!
    I know, I've played squash before too and it is certainly physically demanding!

Being in a F1 car is like being in a boxing ring and getting smacked every single time you need to have a reach a hard breaking and accelerating zone or a fast corner. This is, on most tracks, about once every 10 seconds.

For about 2 hours. Seriously, F1 drivers are extremely fit with large quantities of muscle mass to protect their skeletons and turn that steering wheel when it is under 5G. That's turning a weight of several kilos while your hands are basically holding bricks - before being hurled backwards under braking like a hammer hitting you all over the body.

To sustain this for the a couple hours and assimilate so much information while driving, they take on marathon levels of training to build their stamina.

ReputationRep:
    It's a different kind of fitness.

F1 drivers are incredibly fit. They work more on muscles and anything to do with concentration. Squash is a differnt type of fitness.

I heard that Golf players are also very fit also; looking at Colin Montgomerie, I want to go to the same chip shop he's going to. Must be tasty.

It's got to be a close call. I suspect, though, that rowers have the edge over both of them.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by walshie)

F1 drivers are incredibly fit. They work more on muscles and anything to do with concentration. Squash is a differnt type of fitness.

I heard that Golf players are also very fit also; looking at Colin Montgomerie, I want to go to the same chip shop he's going to. Must be tasty.
    ok chip shop i am very confused

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walshie)

Noooo, Montgomerie is just 'big-boned'

Back to the thread :rolleyes: , It's a different type of endurance, different physical and mental tests and different requirements for those tests.

(Original post by Pineappolis)
    It's got to be a close call. I suspect, though, that rowers have the edge over both of them.
    Rowing is like a 20 minute or so blast. All out in a brief time.

400 metres is the crunch example of this, just that 400 metres is on the legs and rowing is a more full body thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard)
    It's a different type of endurance, different physical and mental tests and different requirements for those tests.
    Yes, F1 is more about endurance whilst squash needs more explosive power.

ReputationRep:
    oh but it does. when you tire you cant concentrate - physically fitter => less tiring => reduced rate of loss of concentration

that was kinda my point. like there is more to squash than swinging a racquet (i've played badminton competitively - not exactly the same but not too far different), there is mroe to f1 than sitting down turning a steering wheel (i've raced karts in teh british champs - again not the same, but even karting is not sitting down turnign a wheel)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard)
    Physical fitness basis?

Quote:

"all a squash player does is swing his hands holding a racquet to play squash..."

You obviously haven't played Squash then.
    you failed to grasp the point of my post....

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.