Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    Rowing is like a 20 minute or so blast. All out in a brief time.
    brief time? man you try to do a 20 minute blast - world of pain!

anyway, i still reckon a f1 driver has the greatest physical fitness - regarding stamina and ability to take a physical battering.

professional rowers are just beasts. operating at pretty much maximum power all the time they operate.

squash players - all i could say is stamina really.

and the basis for my opinions? i've played county badminton, done oxford college rowing, and done british championship karting. albeit slightly - a lot - different to squash, f1 and rowing. rowing hurts the most during by far but i can generally recover pretty well. karting just takes it out of you mentally and physically, and badminton - thats just part of my training.

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested as to what sports people play here, leisurely, competitively et cetera....what standard and so on...

- I am a former county tennis player
    - I've played to a good standard in Table Tennis for a club
    - I played for football teams up till my early teens, went for 2 trials for my local town team, both proving unsuccessful...
    - I've played Badminton to county standard but didn't play for the county...
    - I love skiing to, although the last time i went skiing my legs were tortured, i'll blame lack of physical fitness for that...

So, my main talents are Badminton and Tennis, to similar standards.

So what are your sporting talents/interests? I know this seems really boastful as a thread, i don't intend it to be that way, i'm just curious thats all.

Wizard

Well, 20 minutes is brief compared to 2 hours...

I mean, a 100 metre sprint absolutely canes the body but lasts a little under 10 seconds and a 400 metre dash is a wee bit under 40.

ReputationRep:
    i play tennis for the county and my college

errm. . . . pool for my pub team??

ReputationRep:
    -Decent at tennis
    -Decent at football
    -Won district Triple Jump but dont do it anymore
    -Good at Snooker/Pool
    -Good at Swimming
    -Ok at Golf and Rugby
    Never took any sports seriously enough to play for county though

I like to think im a natural when it comes to sport. Can play any racket sports to a high level, badminton, tennis, squash, table tennis etc

ReputationRep:
    Play cricket to a decent standard.

Does drinking count?

ReputationRep:
    Of course drinking counts

ReputationRep:
    I used to be quite into athletics, I threw javelin for the county 3 or 4 times, as well as for the club and my school. Atm I do archery, and play rugby for my university and a local club.

ReputationRep:
    I would say F1 driver, I have this argument with my friends all the time

"...but they just sit in a car, whats so hard about that?" *shakes head*

I would say that Michael Schumacher, David Coulthard and Mark Webber are among the fittest men on the grid. Anyone see/read about the immense trecking/hiking/biking challenge Mark Webber did last year to raise money for charity? That man is fitter than any squash player.

One of the most useful measures of fitness, is the efficiency of the cardiovascular system - something that is well and easily measured by the resting heart rate of the individual.

However, such fitness is not the only kind. For example, a body builder who lift tremendous amounts of arguably, very fit. However, their cardiovascular system won't be especially efficient.

But on the "cv" system, F1 performs extremely well. For these guys, their heart rate going to 100+ is equivalent to a tripling in their rate of work. For us mere mortals, that is like going up to 200 bpm. For them to go to 200bpm, the amount of work going on is incredible. The exchange of oxygen so fast and so efficient, they can do more.

Sustaining and working in environments of different effective gravity (something that you get as a jet pilot, astronaut, divers, doing F1 when torque is high - these days with v8 engines, it's rather lower than it used to be mind) is very hard work that few of us can imagine.

ReputationRep:
    Decent swimmer/equestrian once upon a time
    National level karter
    County badminton player
    Uni rower/pool/football/cricket/table tennis

ReputationRep:
    Anyone watch the games today Scotland is doing great esp- David Carry in the swimming and there doing even better in the cycling.

Go Scotland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hey people, Last time no one was intrested in my post, i think it was because u don't really know wat Parkour is.
    So, Le Parkour (Parkour) is kind of moving, its a style of your life but it's not a sport - It's philosophy. For more information visit (www.parkour.net) there u can find lot's of information and videos, (www.urbanfreeflow.com) intresting stuff is there. visit (www.3run.co.uk) too. for more videos - (http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=parkour) But to really understand wat parkour means u should try it .. Parkour can be intresting for some climbers.
    Sometimes i train with my might,but usually i train on my own. so if someone who lives near p'boro or in p'boro and likes it, contact me. thanks already
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    reasonable badminton but only at school level and decent swimmer county level

ReputationRep:
    Sore English losers.. tbh, I expect nothing less.
    Ireland outplayed England on the day, Ireland out-performed England during the tournament. Did Ireland have to produce dazzling rugby to do this? No. We've been average throughout the tournament, but due to a poor 6 nations on quality, we've ended up nearly winning the whole thing. It's good to see O'Sullivan favour a move expansive backs game, just remains to be seen whether our backs can adapt to this new found "Welsh" approach. I think the future finally looks bright for this Ireland team.

ReputationRep:
    It would depend on the person in question because some people will obviously be a lot fitter than others and more health concious.

But i'd say an F1 driver.. because I heard someone say they have to be very fit to withstand the "G levels" they experience going at such speeds.

ReputationRep:
    In London I'm afraid.
    I know peeps down here who do it all day long.
    Know all the websites you've listed and have some heavy videos.
    My mate participates regularly on a Parkour forum.

Have contacts in other countries who do this as well.
    Its a mad sport, but its being taken over by athleticism, and gymnastics! Not really freeflow, but amazing nonetheless.

David Belle - amazing. Cyril also.

ReputationRep:
    Im going to plymouth in september, and they do american football which really interests me. Is it a fun sport to play, do alot of universities play american football against each other?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    to all those who judged that scotland would come second last

NAH NAH NAH NAH NAH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Chueco)
    Uni rower/pool/football/cricket/table tennis
    There's no way you can do all of those simultaneously at uni level at Oxford. Boat race and varsity football are on the same day for a start....

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.