Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I don't do this anymore but ...

~ I played football for my school, and a girls team at weekends and occasionally the boys team in primary school!
    ~ I did karate and got a green belt
    ~ I played tennis and got a scholarship for a year to get training.
    ~ I played netball and hockey for school teams.
    ~ I used to run, won some races in town, ran for school and county.
    ~ I still go sailing quite a bit.

ReputationRep:
    personally a'd go 4 no. 8 on a footie shirt n 7 on a rugby shirt, Moody is awesome 4 England

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    One of the most useful measures of fitness, is the efficiency of the cardiovascular system - something that is well and easily measured by the resting heart rate of the individual.

However, such fitness is not the only kind. For example, a body builder who lift tremendous amounts of arguably, very fit. However, their cardiovascular system won't be especially efficient.

But on the "cv" system, F1 performs extremely well. For these guys, their heart rate going to 100+ is equivalent to a tripling in their rate of work. For us mere mortals, that is like going up to 200 bpm. For them to go to 200bpm, the amount of work going on is incredible. The exchange of oxygen so fast and so efficient, they can do more.

Sustaining and working in environments of different effective gravity (something that you get as a jet pilot, astronaut, divers, doing F1 when torque is high - these days with v8 engines, it's rather lower than it used to be mind) is very hard work that few of us can imagine.
    Thats complete ****, resting heart-rate is not an efficient measure of fitness, it is largely genetic for a start, it CAN be an indicator of fitness/health for an individual, ie. if your RHR decreases from 50-30 then its safe to assume you've gotten fitter, but thats not to say somebody with a RHR of 50BPM is not as fit as someone with a RHR of 30BPM.

I've got a RHR of 36BPM, and doing exercises at 100BPM is certainly not equivalent to you doing 200BPM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    Well, 20 minutes is brief compared to 2 hours...

I mean, a 100 metre sprint absolutely canes the body but lasts a little under 10 seconds and a 400 metre dash is a wee bit under 40.
    Its not 2 hours of all out effort, its like running a marathon, its hard, and it takes a long time, but you don't experience the pain you do by rowing for 20 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    What does fitness even mean?

A squash player is probably more of an all-around athlete with higher athletic abilities but squash players tend to be "light-weights". You can't have loads of body mass and have the dynamism and speed required to play squash at a high level.

The F1 driver is definitely tougher but then he doesn't necessarily have to have great athletic abilities: he's probably less likely to run 100m in less than 12 seconds.

As for endurance, I'd say their abilities are of the same level but take on a different form. Squash is about delivering high bursts of energy with short rest periods in between.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i love archery (but have only taken 6 shots in my life atm... ) and since there hasn't been a thread on this sport, i thougth i mite start a new thread...
    anyone got any tips? any best-buys and what not to buy etc...?

i plan to take on archery next year...but not sure which and wot type of bow i wanna get.

ReputationRep:
    I tried starting a thread about this a few months ago, but it wasn't very sucessful.
    I shoot recurve at university, which is the most common type of bow to shoot with. Compound bows are more expensive and technical. The longbow is another option.

ReputationRep:
    I do archery too, it's fun isn't it!

Try typing 'peeptheduck' into google. I know the ex-captain of the archery club here goes by that nickname sometimes, and sells stuff on the internet.

ReputationRep:
    That Mclatchy is awesome, 2 gold medals. So hot aswell.

ReputationRep:
    ah..do u think ebay is a trusted site for sellng bows?? i've seen this really nice recurve and compound bow on there...really tempted to buy but still feel its a bit expensive...:rolleyes:

o yeh, i think it great fun!!! i've tried to make a long bow using PVC pipes its quite good but its range kept on decreasing as the PVC pipe deformed plastically over a period of time... i made myself a crossbow and its also great fun!! did my physics coursework with it!!!

ReputationRep:
    Club fencing, cycling and rugby

ReputationRep:
    Yo ppl, i need a spot of help!

doing this damn courseowrk and would like everyone out there to post any weaknesses and strengths of amir khan. Can these strengths or weaknesses be physiological (body, muscle, movement etc...), psychological (Mind, motivation, arousal, tension, stress etc....).

Sorry for being so specific but cant find anything on google as he dont have many weaknesses at his level and this damn coursework has to be soooo specific so any suggestions would be most appriciated.

Cheerz!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JasonN)
    That Mclatchy is awesome, 2 gold medals. So hot aswell.
    I agree

ReputationRep:
    I'll tell you someof his main weaknesses. I think its too early in his career to get cocky. I've seen him drop his hands repeatedly in fights and it doesn't matter who hes facing one good punch when his hands are down could send him to the canvas. He should learn from Prince Naseem that acting cocky only gets you so far before you meet someone who doesnt like it.

Sometimes he hangs his chin out to dry as well. He needs to have a bit more patiences in some of his fights.

ReputationRep:
    He has no patience, just goes into the ring and starts jumping around

ReputationRep:
    I would have 12 on a rugby shirt.
    I have numbers 1-11 on my Liverpool shirt!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LFC_Girl)
    I would have 12 on a rugby shirt.
    I have numbers 1-11 on my Liverpool shirt!
    a healthy obsession...

ReputationRep:
    There was an article in the Sunday Times about his boxer shorts, apparently they take a week to make because of all his special requirements and he insists on a British Flag since Sept 11. sort of psychological

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugb...an/4825450.stm

South Sydney Gladiators?

ReputationRep:
    Money buyeth everything. But combined with Brutal Gladiator force, now thats lethal.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.