Turn on thread page Beta

Archive SPTM/0003/REC/HPOO watch

ReputationRep:
    I think I never got sick of it because I never HAD to go, it was always by choice, I didn't have to go everyday to look after a horse, I just helped out when I was there. I can understand how it would probably get annoying in the middle of winter and you had to go down in the pouring rain when you really wanted to be sat at home in front of the fire!!

I rode really well in my lesson yesterday btw, I was on fire!!!

ReputationRep:
    Well, I was thinking of chamging yard, and am looking at the moment. He has started going really well at the moment, so I'm going to stick with him for a while. Thanks for the advice guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noel)
    Well, I was thinking of chamging yard, and am looking at the moment. He has started going really well at the moment, so I'm going to stick with him for a while. Thanks for the advice guys
    Hurrah! Change of scene could be exactly what you need, especially if he's going good and stuff.

My instructor's baby horse came third in the BN today!! She wore her rosette all day pinned to her jumper. He was such a headcase when he cma,e it's really good.

Does anyone have a cure for grumpy-horse-itis? I *still* haven't managed to convince Matt that kicking is BAD. I think that when they were giving out brains, he was too busy eating. My boyfriend thinks he kcked the person who tried to give him a brain :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lillith Grimore)
    Does anyone have a cure for grumpy-horse-itis? I *still* haven't managed to convince Matt that kicking is BAD. I think that when they were giving out brains, he was too busy eating. My boyfriend thinks he kcked the person who tried to give him a brain :rolleyes:
    Ummm.... Maybe he'll just grow out of it?!

Or tie his legs together? That'd make it more difficult for him!!

ReputationRep:
    Hurrah! Change of scene could be exactly what you need, especially if he's going good and stuff.

My instructor's baby horse came third in the BN today!! She wore her rosette all day pinned to her jumper. He was such a headcase when he cma,e it's really good.

I always find when Desmond is in a mood, if I give him a good brush, some apples and carrots and then sit in his stable with him and play with him.

ReputationRep:
    BTW Lillith, this week's horse and hound has the show guide for this year, its in 3 parts the second part comes out of thursday. I remember you were saying you were interested in showing him, all the shows will be advertised in there. I'm soooo glad summer shows aren't too far away, I sent my Winter Championships entries in today £390 :eek: glad I don't have to pay it lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noel)
    I always find when Desmond is in a mood, if I give him a good brush, some apples and carrots and then sit in his stable with him and play with him.
    That's a good plan. If Matt were normal it would probably work too. ONly...
    a) he hates being brushed. You have to hold him the whole time if you want him to stand still and do everything as quickly as possible or you get lined up for a kick. We're currently experiemneting with getting my dad to hold his front leg up so he can't kick me when I'm washing his tail and back legs.
    b) being in a stable makes him even worse, he gets really defensive and lashes out if he's not tied up. This is becuase a few years ago he was knifed during a tack robbery at his yard. He's actually more likely to attack you in a stable because he feels more insecure. :confused: I told you he was an odd-bodd...

Thanks for the info about H&H, I'll dash to the newsagents tomorrow and get a copy. Sometimes I really do think it would be easier to get a subscription...

ReputationRep:
    Well, I think its just a matter of time, untill you estabilish a trusting relationship with him, then he'll behave (hopefully). If he has been treated badly or had bad experiences in the past, it will takehim time to re-estabilish his trust with humans. He probably thinks you are going to knife him as well.

*I always mean to subscribe as well, but never end if doing, would they deliver to your house?
    P.s. I love these similes :dancing: layingba

ReputationRep:
    you seem to have a really big trouble with your horse.. I don't know much about your horse, but it's not just a matter of trust. You should show him who is alpha here. Horses in freedom when they don't wanna communicate to each other just make other horses to go away from them. And alpha is getting rid of all horses he doesn't want to be near him or the horses who behave badly with him. I had one horse kicking every time someone comes to his stall. I came in and scared him away by waving hands and with loud voice. Ofcourse it's better to do this in a padoc or in opened space. Horse should run away from you whenever you want and whenever he does something wrong (eg. kicking). When you want him to come you can let him get close to you. It seems silly, but horses do that!!
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I had three horses which I competed at SJ and Barrel Racing. I sold them and moved and then was sponsered by a yard in Scotland to ride with them. A lady I knew had an ex Ian Stark horse which I rode for her. Scoopy jump but a bit of a nutter. I considered not going to university after an offer to ride/groom in Belgium with an international eventer. I would buy more horses to compete but I just don't have the time! Work and Uni take up every spare second!
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    That's a good plan. If Matt were normal it would probably work too. ONly...
    a) he hates being brushed. You have to hold him the whole time if you want him to stand still and do everything as quickly as possible or you get lined up for a kick. We're currently experiemneting with getting my dad to hold his front leg up so he can't kick me when I'm washing his tail and back legs.
    b) being in a stable makes him even worse, he gets really defensive and lashes out if he's not tied up. This is becuase a few years ago he was knifed during a tack robbery at his yard. He's actually more likely to attack you in a stable because he feels more insecure. :confused: I told you he was an odd-bodd...

Thanks for the info about H&H, I'll dash to the newsagents tomorrow and get a copy. Sometimes I really do think it would be easier to get a subscription...
    why don't you try whispering to it?

ReputationRep:
    At the moment I'm just trying to be as nice as possible, be consistent but punish him if he's too aggressive. I'm trying to spend lots of time with him, giving him lots of praise and hugs when he's good and making lots of noise and giving him a sharp smack when he does something wrong, like try to kick me. generally he's OK if you establish who's boss. I think part of the problem has been his old owner was a dotty old lady who bred him and has had him for the whole nine years of his life and used to let him walk all over him. In some respects he's been spoilt and not only does he not trust anyone, he doesn't respect them either. We've had his back and teeth checked and the saddler checked the fitting of both of his saddles. The yard staff and really helpful and always willing to lend a hand when he's problematic. If that doesn't work, we might have a look at some behaviour therapy or 'intelligent horsemanship' or something.

I think you can have H&H delivered to your house. In fact that's a jolly good idea. Maybe I can convince my mother it's an important part of horse ownership....

ReputationRep:
    I am almost sure your horse feels your boss
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    At the moment I'm just trying to be as nice as possible, be consistent but punish him if he's too aggressive. I'm trying to spend lots of time with him, giving him lots of praise and hugs when he's good and making lots of noise and giving him a sharp smack when he does something wrong, like try to kick me. generally he's OK if you establish who's boss. I think part of the problem has been his old owner was a dotty old lady who bred him and has had him for the whole nine years of his life and used to let him walk all over him. In some respects he's been spoilt and not only does he not trust anyone, he doesn't respect them either. We've had his back and teeth checked and the saddler checked the fitting of both of his saddles. The yard staff and really helpful and always willing to lend a hand when he's problematic. If that doesn't work, we might have a look at some behaviour therapy or 'intelligent horsemanship' or something.

I think you can have H&H delivered to your house. In fact that's a jolly good idea. Maybe I can convince my mother it's an important part of horse ownership....
    I always used whispering techinques with my horses and hardly had any problems. When I first got my appaloosa he was 12 and refused to be ridden in saddle or bridle. Horses are wild animals and shouldn't be locked up, even though most of us give them the best care they can get. The advice I offer you is to get down to his level and find out where he is coming from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RidingMaster)
    I am almost sure your horse feels your boss
    He's not the boss, I'm always in charge but because he has had a very bad experience with humans I don't want to traumatise him any further by forcing his obidience, I'd rather he behaved himself becuase he trusts me and knows that I treat him fairly. My instructor and I have discussed how to deal with him and we've agreed that this will hopefully have the desired effect, though it will probably take a while. That's OK. What I don't want is a resentful horse whose spirit has been dominated - one of things I like most about him is that he has tonnes of personality (albeit grumpy) and is his own horse.

I'd like to try some sort of whispering with him at some point, but I know next to nothing about it and as far as I'm aware, there aren't any experts in our area.

ReputationRep:
    My god... whispering experst... why don't you start communicating with your horse and learn about horses life in wild nature? It seems people are making money in UK from everything He is your horse and you should care him. No experts whisperers... Are you lazy or something???

ReputationRep:
    My god... whispering experst... why don't you start communicating with your horse and learn about horses life in wild nature? It seems people are making money in UK from everything He is your horse and you should care him. No experts whisperers... Are you lazy or something???
    Are you trying to make me annoyed? Becuase insulting me is one way to do that. When I say 'whispering experts' I mean someone in a similar vien to Monty Roberts or Kelly Marks who would be able to help me with something like join up. I'm not lazy, I just want to do it properly. Have you never seen someone look at you oddly becuase you're talking what you think is their language but you're doing it so badly they're really confused? I don't want to confuse him by trying to communicate with him and failing miserably.

Yes, he is my horse and yes I do care for him as much as I can. However, being a full time student with no field for a back garden, he lives 15 minutes away and the yard staff care for him a lot too. Whilst communicating with him on a one-to-one basis and making him more responsive to me would be useful, it would be conpletely pointless if he remained hostile to everyone else - what we're trying to do is achieve a happy, responsive horse who is well behaved for all of the different people who handle him.

I am doing what I currently think is best for my horse. If you think that makes me 'lazy' then I have no interest in your views on the matter.

ReputationRep:
    Are you trying to make me annoyed? Becuase insulting me is one way to do that. When I say 'whispering experts' I mean someone in a similar vien to Monty Roberts or Kelly Marks who would be able to help me with something like join up. I'm not lazy, I just want to do it properly. Have you never seen someone look at you oddly becuase you're talking what you think is their language but you're doing it so badly they're really confused? I don't want to confuse him by trying to communicate with him and failing miserably.

Yes, he is my horse and yes I do care for him as much as I can. However, being a full time student with no field for a back garden, he lives 15 minutes away and the yard staff care for him a lot too. Whilst communicating with him on a one-to-one basis and making him more responsive to me would be useful, it would be conpletely pointless if he remained hostile to everyone else - what we're trying to do is achieve a happy, responsive horse who is well behaved for all of the different people who handle him.

I am doing what I currently think is best for my horse. If you think that makes me 'lazy' then I have no interest in your views on the matter.
    The yard I ride at has Monty Roberts do demonstrations every now and again, it would be close enough for you to travel for a one off (probably about 15 miles from Burton) I'll keep an eye out for you. One of my friends has worked with one of his prodiges as well, so I can see if she has any pearls of wisdom too.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand what is the problem.You can read and you should do this as much as you can. Monty Roberts is not making money from whispering, he is making money from shows and books. This is true and there is nothing wrong with this. He also wants to eat Can I ask you: have you ever played with your horses or has he ever played with you like with another horse for egzample running after each other, jumping and so on? You should try to understand his situation. His nature is not to live in a stall alone. The background of Monty Roberts' whispering is beeing horses friend-horse. When you realise this you can communicate with your beloved one properly. I am sorry if I sound rude, my english is not too good. If my poin of view doesn't mach yours, there is no reason to get annoyed.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand what is the problem.You can read and you should do this as much as you can. Monty Roberts is not making money from whispering, he is making money from shows and books. This is true and there is nothing wrong with this. He also wants to eat Can I ask you: have you ever played with your horses or has he ever played with you like with another horse for egzample running after each other, jumping and so on? You should try to understand his situation. His nature is not to live in a stall alone. The background of Monty Roberts' whispering is beeing horses friend-horse. When you realise this you can communicate with your beloved one properly. I am sorry if I sound rude, my english is not too good. If my poin of view doesn't mach yours, there is no reason to get annoyed.
    Sorry, in my book being insulted is a good reason to get annoyed and if there is one thing I am definately not, it's lazy. I have read several books by Kelly Marks but I wouldn't be confident enough to try something like that on my own, becuase I don't want to damage the relationship I already have with my horse. My horse doesn't actually live in a stall at all, he lives in a field and comes in to stand in a large box and eat hay for a while every day. I am trying to understand his situation, that's why I am trying to do this properly. If I am willing to ask someone to come and help me deal with my horse that's my decision and whilst you may disagree with my point of view, you have no grounds for telling me I'm wrong becuase that is only your opinion. Another reason that I want to get someone to help me is I don't think he's a very simple case at all - both the life he has led upto this point (being completely spoilt by a very nice old lady with a tendancy to drink) and the attack he suffered have had a huge impact on him and his behaviour. I'm fairly sure I can't deal with it on my own and I have no wish to. If our roles were reversed, I would commend you for recognising this situation was quite possibly out of your league and that seeking help from someone with greater knowledge than you was a sensible option.

I've been to a Kelly Marks demonstration, but that was years ago. Please do let me know if one's coming up, it was really interesting last time

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.