Turn on thread page Beta

Archive SPTM/0003/REC/HPOO watch

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    The cars are designed to take impact with a concrete wall, they do stand up better than an F1 car would but the trouble is racing on an oval at 200+mph is so dangerous one mistake and that's it.

(Original post by Carl1982)
    The cars are designed to take impact with a concrete wall, they do stand up better than an F1 car would but the trouble is racing on an oval at 200+mph is so dangerous one mistake and that's it.
    If they replaced those concrete walls with tyre walls... created run off space etc. things would be safer.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Good point, trouble is putting a tyre wall round an oval would cause problems, if a car slams into a tyre wall it would bounce them straight back on the track and then vulnerable to any oncoming cars. A concrete wall tends to suck the cars in but still i don't know either way it wouldn't make it safer.

Obviously they should have a bigger run off area but because it's an oval where would they put one in such a small space.

(Original post by Carl1982)
    Good point, trouble is putting a tyre wall round an oval would cause problems, if a car slams into a tyre wall it would bounce them straight back on the track and then vulnerable to any oncoming cars. A concrete wall tends to suck the cars in but still i don't know either way it wouldn't make it safer.

Obviously they should have a bigger run off area but because it's an oval where would they put one in such a small space.
    Get rid of ovals :p:

"Left, straight, left, straight, left, straight, left... straight, left, straight..."

That passes for racing? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    if i had a footy shirt with a number on, it would be 15 as I had that on one of my chelsea shirts before melchiot joined the blues when it was free. its now my lucky number as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    Get rid of ovals :p:

"Left, straight, left, straight, left, straight, left... straight, left, straight..."

That passes for racing? :confused:
    Whereas F1 is so much better.

Yeah, righto.:rolleyes:

At least they ARE racing in Indy Racing, and not just following each other round as in the majority of F1.

(Original post by simeon)
    Whereas F1 is so much better.

Yeah, righto.:rolleyes:

At least they ARE racing in Indy Racing, and not just following each other round as in the majority of F1.
    Well, F1 is a lot safer in recent years... and F1 is a much more complicated art compared to turning left.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GOD)
    SO ****ING PISSED OFF ABOUT THE WOMENS 4X4!!!
    Woah, you looking for a warning there Good job I'm not a mod :cool: The girl that complained - yes it was very typical behaviour of Tamsyn Lewis I must admit, she is like that :p: But she was right in complaining this time, we back her all the way.

(Original post by Expression)
    HOWEVER, Dame Edna's speech on the big screen was a great pee-take, especially at the Americans !! And yes, I was singing along to the lyrics as they bounced along the screen; and the fireworks were impressive.
    Haha yes, good old Dame Edna Gotta love her, glad you liked the fireworks even though we all know they're not as great as what Sydney can achieve but hey, we do try

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GOD)
    av u won it then?
    Lol good point! I agree with you there, I have to say.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=danni_bella]Woah, you looking for a warning there Good job I'm not a mod :cool: The girl that complained - yes it was very typical behaviour of Tamsyn Lewis I must admit, she is like that :p: But she was right in complaining this time, we back her all the way.

dont care if i get a warning it has to be said. Tamsyn Lewis, let our girl infront of u thinking she was going to beat her anyway and then wen we beat u she's all like "o no they cnt do that" n it gets put thru but when the Aussy men get summat agenst em they dnt get them kicked out n DQ'd do they! CHEAT CHEAT CHEAT CHEAT CHEAT! o well we kno that we were better than u on that day! WE ARE COMMENWEALTH CHAMPS!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GOD)
    av u won it then?

pfffft Several times... Im a sprinting/hockey/ping pong/marathon champion

ReputationRep:
    ahahahaha...rules is rules.."Suffer in ya jocks!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danni_bella)
    Woah, you looking for a warning there Good job I'm not a mod :cool: The girl that complained - yes it was very typical behaviour of Tamsyn Lewis I must admit, she is like that :p: But she was right in complaining this time, we back her all the way.
    It's very typical behaviour of the Aussies to be fair, any which way to win and not very gracious losers..... or winners for that matter !!

(Original post by danni_bella)
    Haha yes, good old Dame Edna Gotta love her, glad you liked the fireworks even though we all know they're not as great as what Sydney can achieve but hey, we do try
    Well okey so the Sydney 2000 fireworks were mega impressive, but did make use of some rather well established features that everyone knows.

Melbourne had a problem in that the most famous thing in Melbourne, the G, was where it was all taking place anyway so they couldn't cut over to it and make anything more of it! I did like the use of the other skyscrapers in the pyro stuff, and particularly the use of the Yarra.

ReputationRep:
    I dont see how people can say that they would have more respect for a badminton player and TT player and Squash over a tennis player. U have to think about how much trainig goes into becoming a pro tennis player and also they do have to maintain their cool in the eye of the public. If federer was standing in front of me or nadal I would have the most respect for them over any other of those sports because i know what they have had to go through to make it to where they are as i am a semmi pro tennis player and i know that to become a pro the amount of training i would have to do and it would become a every day thing and hours and hours a day and if injury sets in u could be out of the game for months and this makes the difference between thouse who become pro and those who dont. Those top players in the world probably arent the best ones that could be around if there wasnt a problem with health and if ppl didnt get injuries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikolaiJ)
    Pshh, cyclists and swimmers kick both of these guys asses. Many cyclists are so fit that they end up with circulatory problems because their hearts become so strong :eek:

how is that fit if ur body is failing ok the heart is doing good but its screwing the rest. not fit really

ReputationRep:
    But you just dont appreciate the amount of effort and training that it takes to become a pro badminton player.

Statistics don't lie. The speed and the stamina required for badminton are far greater than for any other racket sport. At the 1985 All England (Tennis) Championships, Boris Becker defeated Kevin Curren 6-3, 6-7, 7-6, 6-4. At the 1985 World Badminton Championships in Calgary, Canada, Han Jian of China defeated Morten Frost of Denmark, 14-18, 15-10, 15-8. The following is a statistical comparison of those matches.
    Tennis Badminton
    Time: 3 hrs & 18 mins 1 hr & 16 mins
    Ball/Shuttle in Play: 18 mins 37 mins
    Match Intensity*: 9 percent 48 percent
    Rallies: 299 146
    Shots: 1,004 1,972
    Shots Per Rally: 3.4 3.5
    Distance Covered: 2 miles 4 miles

* The actual time the ball/shuttle was in flight, divided by the length of the match.
    Note that the badminton players competed for half the time, yet ran twice as far and hit nearly twice as many shots.

ReputationRep:
    It depends what aspect of the sport you're terming difficult..

For fitness, I'd say squash is the most demanding, and table tennis the least. For skill, I'd say table tennis is the most difficult, and badminton the least, but it all depends on the player.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.