Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    British and Irish Lions: Murphy; Cueto, Smith, Henson, Hickie; O'Gara, Cooper; Stevens, Titterell, Hayes; Shaw, O'Callaghan; Moody, Williams, Owen.

Replacements: Bulloch, Sheridan, Easterby, Cusiter, Hodgson, Shanklin, D'Arcy

As Woodward has made clear that those selected for this game will not feature in the 1st test, HENSON is not in the test team!!! This possibly suggests Wilkinson at inside centre, with Jones at 10 . Wilkinson will be destroyed at centre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john williams)
    Congratulations for what? Being one of the worst teams in history getting thrashed every single game and then celebrating like you'v won the world cup just cos you win your SECOND ever ODI...!! The Aussies will be back and these things can happen on the day, a while back when India couldnt be bothered to play they also lost 1 ODI against them (after winning series)..it doesnt mean nowt!
    Hey John Williams,

If you take a look at the History of Cricket, you'll see:
    • Imperial Cricket Conference (ICC – now the International Cricket Council) was set up in 1909 (96 years ago!), with England, Australia and South Africa the original members.
    • The first Test match took place in 1877 (128 years ago!), where Australia beat England by 45 runs in Melbourne.
    • South Africa’s first Test match was in 1889.
    • West Indies’ first Test match took place in 1928.
    • New Zealand’s first Test match was in 1930.
    • India’s first Test match was in 1932.
    • Pakistan’s first Test match took place in 1952.
    • The first one-day international (ODI) took place in 1971 (34 years ago!): Australia v England at Melbourne. [This was also the year when the country Bangladesh came into existence in the world map as they became an independent country after fighting against Pakistan for nine months.]
    • Zimbabwe’s first Test match was in 1992.
    On the other hand, Bangladesh became a regular ICC member with the right to play one-day internationals just in 1997 (only eight years back!) and the first Test match took place in 2000!

http://www.icc-cricket.com/link_to_d...M_RESULTS.html

If you click on the above link you'll see the total result of ODIs for each country. Until yesterday, Australia had a total of 591 ODIs and England had 414; whereas Bangladesh had a total of only 108 matches.

According to Cricinfo (http://content.cricinfo.com/bangladesh/content/story/211426.html):
    "Better still, if you ever hear another call for Bangladesh to be banned from international cricket, it may not be louder than a furtive whisper. You can also be rest assured that next time legends like Sunil Gavaskar sit to select a world or an Asian XI, they will think twice before picking a Rana Naved-ul-Hasan over a Mashrafe Mortaza on the pretext of never hearing the name.

Hopefully, the ICC will now show some common sense and dispense with a ranking system that does not tell even half the truth. Kenya and the present Zimbabwe side simply do not have the right to stay above Bangladesh. Kenya's World Cup heroics happened two years ago. Let it remain as history. Zimbabwe's records over the last couple of years do not measure up to that of Bangladesh during the same period."

In conclusion, I must say that Bangladesh (BD) is nevertheless a new and less experienced cricket team. Most of the BD cricketers have joined the team a few years back. Although BD usually loses most of the ODIs when playing against present & former World-cup champions, they are improving their skills day-by-day and that day will come soon when the winning percentage of the team will increase.

The whole world is admiring Bangladesh for producing the biggest shock in one-day international cricket history to beat world champions Australia. So it's very ridiculous of you to ask the question "Congratulations for what?"

BANGLADESH DESERVES THE RIGHT TO GET COMPLIMENTS!!!:cool:

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps the cricketing powers are changing? We're seeing it in football so why can't cricket change?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Perhaps the cricketing powers are changing? We're seeing it in football so why can't cricket change?
    Very TRUE!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tmaclean88)
    British and Irish Lions: Murphy; Cueto, Smith, Henson, Hickie; O'Gara, Cooper; Stevens, Titterell, Hayes; Shaw, O'Callaghan; Moody, Williams, Owen.

Replacements: Bulloch, Sheridan, Easterby, Cusiter, Hodgson, Shanklin, D'Arcy

As Woodward has made clear that those selected for this game will not feature in the 1st test, HENSON is not in the test team!!! This possibly suggests Wilkinson at inside centre, with Jones at 10 . Wilkinson will be destroyed at centre.
    am fairly happy about henson, he's way too overated.
    looks like dawson is going to be on the bench for the tests then. i reckon horgan might be sitting there with him. tuesdays team would also suggest that neil back is going to be the test number seven.
    i know woodward said it isn't going to happen i think its possible that one or two from tuesdays team may feature on saturday.
    the fact that hodgson is only on the bench suggests that he could be there again on saturday because if wilkinson moves to centre there is going to be a shortage of fly halves.

ReputationRep:
    Jonny will get eaten as will most of the back line. I hope BOD can bring his Stirling Mortlock-like strength and over power the AB centres.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    What were the pre-match odds of bangladesh winnng, anyone know?
    100/1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chandni)
    Hang on a second I am a Ferrari fan not a Schumacher fan when he drove for Benneton I h8ed the guy I will love any driver who drives for has driver for us. I stated my passion for Ferrari in my 1st post on the F1 thread and nobody has had a problem with me and my pro-ferrari chat until now. What makes you so special that you can critisize me for choosing my team and sticking with them through whatever happens?
    its quite obvious ferrariism, a discrimination against all things red that are driven by germans, just something you'll have to face in life im afraid.

ReputationRep:
    As a reaction to the Chelsea thread (yet another one).

(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    As a reaction to the Chelsea thread (yet another one).
    Just the integrity as a club. At least they were still financially viable, and they ahd respect for the game. In your case, it's a real case of Championship Manager played by a russian billionaire with a dubious past. It's fortunate for him (and ChelseA) that Putin has his eye elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    Ah but they achieved financial gain via flotation and now you see these so called fans saying their club is not for sale (2005), think they must be incredibly young or stupid not to know what happened in 1991.

ReputationRep:
    Man United werent £100m in debt, on the verge of bankruptcy and up **** creek without a paddle before some dodgy russian billionaire bailed them out.

btw, not saying Chelsea are ruining football but thw two situations are incomparable. Football was ruined when BSkyB began to call the shots, Man United were simply the only club in the country with the financial nouse and desire to take advantage of it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying Man Utd ruined football either, just saying every club will take advantage of financial gain whenever it comes to them and make use of it.

ReputationRep:
    Well obviously. Chelsea arent gonna say "no ta, we're billionaires but we dont want to spend more than West Brom ever year". The problem people have with chelsea are tey totally ****ed up their club from top to bottom under Ken Bates but unlike many clubs (most famously Leeds), they got away with it through no brilliance of their own, just a stroke of luck, it could easily have been Spurs. Now they're being involved with issues which makes them out to be arrogant and classless. Teams have dominated the english game before but they've always had respect even if they weren't liked (Liverpool, Man United, Arsenal). The fact that Chelsea were told to do one by the G14 speaks volumes IMO.

ReputationRep:
    If you think about the players Houiller signed a couple of seasons ago you can easily see that money alone is not a guanentee of sucess. He signed cheryou, biscan (who is now alot better under Bentiez) Diao and the phantom spitter. This cost him a stack load and got Liverpool no where. Quite clearly you need a manager who is going to make sensible signings and get the team to play togeather. Fans of other teams seem so reluctant to give Mourinho credit. Man Utd fans espically seem to have forgotten that his Porto team beat them last season when he had no money to spend so now that he has money is it any suprise he is a club miles ahead of Utd?

ReputationRep:
    Not a good idea in my opinion. Firstly in order to make any sort of significant return you would have to use high stakes. Labour, the day before the election had extremely low odds, around 1.02 in decimal terms which means if you put £10 on you would only win 20p. Even if you are going spread the risk freak occurences will occur and you will lose money. Im no pro but very few people make a living out of gambling as such and the ones that do spend hours looking at the markets.

ReputationRep:
    People also seem to forget Real Madrid (Franco) and AC Milan (Berlusconi).

ReputationRep:
    i agree with bikerx23. The premership is a league and the idea of having a playoff is stupid. There are plenty of cups and tounaments but the league is the league and the guys who get the most points should win. Felt so sorry for matin johnson when you lost that (despit supporting harlequins) well at least he won his testimonial against jonah.

ReputationRep:
    Ashique...firstly congratulations on your big win...I have always rated Ashraful since his ODI knock against South Africa (around 40 odd) and ofcourse his first test 100 against SL and it's a real pity that he doesn't fulfil his potential on a consistent basis...but he's still very young and has a long way to go...

Now the problem that most people will have with congratulating Bangladesh too much is that even after winning matches like yesterday (e.g. the odi against india in december) your team seems to go back a few steps and starts making the same fundamental mistakes...my probem is not with Bangladesh losing...it's with the fact that after finally winning a few matches and looking like they have turned a corner they seem to fall back to square one. And the biggest flaw is the consistency and discipline in your batting...on one day they seem to put their heads down, take the singles and play sensible...and on another day they try to hit out from ball 1 and get dismissed for ridiculous scores.

But...having said all of that...I really think there is only one way for your team and that is up...this was after all your first ever full tour to England...and it is by no means an easy tour for epecially a team from the subcontinent...no teams in world cricket started in the game as world champions...they all took their time...and the most encouraging thing to see with you guys is the enthusiasm for the game in your country.

You guys WILL get better...but I do think that one way of speeding up that process is playing more games against the 'A' teams of the international sides...you will be getting experience against quality opposition and more importantly you will win more matches and boost the confidence of your players because of it being more of an even field...

ReputationRep:
    Common people. Australia lost to banglasdesh by 5 wickets!!! We beat them by 10 wickets. Doesnt that say something. THey also lost to Sommerset so surely well win. Bangladesh have only won 2 out of the last 72 ODIs and they beat Australia. Englands have got a huhge chance of winning this year and proving thier cockyness wrong

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.