Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I understand that but why the HATE? Is it because he so happens to drive for another team or is it because of the man himself and how he has behaved. I don't hate other drivers because they don't drive for the team I support unless they do something terrible.

I see you support both Ferrari drivers and fair enough, what is your personal opinion on Ferrari's team orders and their treatment of RB. Do you think that their drivers should be allowed to race each other fairly on the track in equal equipment until one driver is so far ahead that the other driver has to play second fiddle? Or do you agree with the way Todt has arranged it with MS as clear number one in the team?

ReputationRep:
    This is for people to argue over stickys not schumi see the F1 thread for that.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe hate is a strong word lets say dislike...i dislike anyone who doesn't drive for ferrari as they are the opposition and it is in the nature of competition to dislike ur opposition!!! I disliked Hill and Villeneurve more than I ever disliked someone like Schumacher though.

Regarding Team Orders Austria 2002 was a complete disaster and was played really badly by the team it disgusted everyone including the proper hardcore fans. However formula 1 is a team sport always has been always will be Ferrari have always had team orders and so have other teams I think drivers should be able to race each other up to a point say 10 laps to go or something then they should just hold station which means I think what michael did in monaco to rubens was a bit dread but then i also think rubens must have been asleep to get passed in that place!!!

ReputationRep:
    hello devesh254,

thanx a lot for thinking positively about our team!
    I've my exams coming up this week and so i can't write much here....
    In a few words i shud say:
    yes, i agree on everything u said. i also believe that Bangladesh, playing more games against the 'A' teams of the international sides, will be getting experience against quality opposition.

thanx again,
    ashique

ReputationRep:
    You can make money like this. If it goes wrong you lose even more. Yesterday backing Australia to beat Bangladesh must have looked like a certain profit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    Whoever bet that must be a very rich man!!!!
    Well no: if someone took a bet the odds would shorten at once.

ReputationRep:
    It would be crazy to leave out Pieterson on current evidence - he's taken Gillespie to the cleaners.

ReputationRep:
    AC Milan were walking all over Liverpool in first half.....one guy from Norway bet £10k expecting to win £100...but of course Milan didnt win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Book)
    Please tell me if I'm being stupid but calling some events that you can bet
    on seems rediculously simple. - E.g. It was blatently obvious Blair would win the most recent general election, so if you put say a couple of grand behind him like the day before the election you could have made a good amount of money overhight. - Not a huge amount, I forget exactly but you'r money would have been safe. - Over time you could make loads.

Another example is betting that the Bank of England would keep base rates the same at 4.75%. - All the economists predicted that this would happen.

Is political/financial betting a rediclously simple way to make good money or am I missing something?

Willhill.com lets you bet with stakes as low as 1p, I'm thinking of just staking £10 - split over loads of different but easy bets - to "spread the risk" making some money, and continuing to bet only winnings from that. Good idea?
    As everyone else has said, the opportunities are too few, the stakes would have to be high and huge risk in the fact that even if you got only 1/50 wrong, it is likely that would wipe out your profit from the other 49.

ReputationRep:
    pieterson the hero once again taking the game away from aussies.
    well done old chap!
    The ashes are coming home!

ReputationRep:
    If people were as concerned over the law on drugs as they are regarding sexual activity, there'd be a lot less underage pregnancies.

ReputationRep:
    OMG.. that is the first time ive seen only 6 cars fighting for the podium! All the other f1 cars are just ... and omg this is crazy... I mean they are screwed.. i thought this was gona be one of em "crazy races" and it sure is, but not of what i expected

I think schuey is gonna have a good time...

ReputationRep:
    Create a team spirit like Mourinho has done.

ReputationRep:
    Pietersen!

Good start, now lets make it stick!

ReputationRep:
    Awesome performance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    Not a good idea in my opinion. Firstly in order to make any sort of significant return you would have to use high stakes. Labour, the day before the election had extremely low odds, around 1.02 in decimal terms which means if you put £10 on you would only win 20p. Even if you are going spread the risk freak occurences will occur and you will lose money. Im no pro but very few people make a living out of gambling as such and the ones that do spend hours looking at the markets.
    But "where there's a will there's a way" and just like everything you need to do tyour homework. - Thats why I'm not betting anything now.

stick to the stock market - higher returns over a long period of time more stability etc...
    If you put money in the stock market over the last 5 years the chances are you would have lost money, maybe say over 20 years you could make money, but its too long and unreliable. Besides my first rule of gambling is "stick with what you know" - I don't know enough about the stock to risk money on it.

"You can make money like this. If it goes wrong you lose even more. Yesterday backing Australia to beat Bangladesh must have looked like a certain profit."
    Hence you spread your investment over differnet events?? Also I wont bet on it cos I know hardly anything about sports.

"the stakes would have to be high and huge risk"
    A whole £10 stake!!

"You would only be able to bet on say interest rate changes once a month. There just isnt enough political events to bet on." -
    There are loads of similar "certain to win" events though. - E.g. I knew Michael Jackson would be innocent. Becides, loads of countries mean loads of elections and loads of interest rates.

Specials and political betting are one of the few areas where punters can reliably make money - Calculating odds is very difficult for bookmakers.

I guess the best thing is that I start betting, and limit myself to £10.

Cheers for your thoughts

ReputationRep:
    Is it a kids side or adults?

ReputationRep:
    People who never pass the ball, and who are totally ignorant of their team mates, are usually arrogant and need to be put in their place.

The defence need to realise their function. If they don't want to defend then find players who do.

ReputationRep:
    Ergh, i can't stand Murray, sure he's got talent which i'm sure will grow, but i hope his attitude changes with it. When i watch him, to me he seems arrogant, childish and sometimes acts like a spoilt little brat. Also the way he comes on with his iPod...grrr...plus he has a rubbish taste in music!! Black Eyed Peas!! need i say more!! :rolleyes: :p:

ReputationRep:
    often "dead certs" prove to be less than certain.

its too risky to make a career out of it, and even then you'd have to be putting substantial amounts of cash in to make big returns. one "shock" result and you could be screwed.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.