The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I study a non traditional degree, web design.

I have 22 hours a week contact time but we are expected to do 3 hours of study per hour of contact.
k9ruby
I study a non traditional degree, web design.

I have 22 hours a week contact time but we are expected to do 3 hours of study per hour of contact.

Gosh, that would mean you are expected to do a 66 hour week! [Or 88 if you mean 3 hours on top but that seems like a near impossible number of expected ours.] Still, ouch lol.

We are expected to do a 40 hour week, so between 7-8 hours a week for each module on top of our contact time. :smile:
It varies from week to week but generally 10 or 14. That includes lectures, seminars, crits and workshops. We're expected to put in 40 hours work per week.
Well technically, 1 credit = 10hrs study, so a 10 credit module = 100 hours study time that semester. Divide by number of weeks in semester to get how many hours you should do per week, minus contact hours leaves you with independent study time... I'm doing 70 credits this semester which by this rule means I should technically be doing 46hrs independent study/week O_o
Reply 64
Slender Loris
Well technically, 1 credit = 10hrs study, so a 10 credit module = 100 hours study time that semester. Divide by number of weeks in semester to get how many hours you should do per week, minus contact hours leaves you with independent study time... I'm doing 70 credits this semester which by this rule means I should technically be doing 46hrs independent study/week O_o

Ooh I never knew you were meant to work it out like that! That's scary...I'm having to do over the amount of credits due to doing a joint Arts and Science degree (and the weightings of the modules doesnt add up, Biology=30, French=20, meant to do 60 credits)... 80 credits= 800 hours in 11 weeks, =73hrs a week = 24 hours of lectures a week, and 49hours of independent study, fun timesss....

:frown:
Reply 65
I should be doing like 6 hours a day. Oops.
Reply 66
gem_19
I was discussing on another thread how I only had 8 hours of lectures and seminars per week and got accused of attending a "Mickey Mouse" university(which in all fairness, I am!). I thought this was the norm, as some of my friends have a similar amount of hours however the poster continued by stating that their friend has 20 hours a week at uni!

Anyone else out there have much longer hours at university? It seems completely unfair that we're paying an equal amount in tuition fees yet some are getting hell of a lot more tuition than others.

To me it seems completely unfair that people who are doing worthwhile subjects at respectable universities (i.e. courses that produce professionals that the country needs like engineers and doctors) have to pay to go to university at all.

If I had my way, tuition fees would work on a sliding scale, so that the most useful subjects would have very low tuition fees and the most pointless subjects would have very high fees.

For the record, I have about 25 hours of contact time a week plus lots of work outside of this time!!
Reply 67
Around 12. Next term it will be about 10.
Reply 68
4xbio monday
2x chem thursday
2x lab thursday
2x friday

10 hours a week, although they do expect a fair amount of time to be invested out of seminars and lectures, which I really need to start doing.
Reply 69
24-26 Hours contact time. not sure how much work time.
9 1/2 hours per week.

4 lectures.

3 seminars.

1 1/2 hrs practical.

1 dissertation meeting.

Not alot really..................
5-6 hours per week (Thursday and Friday off, plus most Wednesday's) but a tonne of private study.
Two hours on a Monday
An hour and a half on Tuesday
and four hours (if that) on a Wednesday.

That's it.
7 hours of lectures, 1 hour of tuition and 2 hours in the computing labs. 10 hours overall. I have a lot of reading to do, though. Wednesday is completely free, Tuesday only has one lecture and Thursday has my tutorial.
Reply 74
I have 10 hours a week at the moment, 12 after xmas.
its not alot really is it considering we pay over 3k a year for tuition fees :eek:
16. :awesome:
Just a quick survey

What is your degree title?

What year are you in ie first/third year of degree

How many hours per week are you timetabled for?

Thanks for those who reply
Reply 78
Medical Engineering
First year
20 hours
Reply 79
BA Archaeology
first year
17 fixed hours per fortnight (one week I have 7 hours, the next week I have 10 hours)

Latest

Trending

Trending