Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys.
    Okay so I'm considering taking a self-studied a-level along with my IB course. I've only been through 7 weeks of IB and I think I'm starting to get the gist of it, meaning, I'm doing alright. Many students say that IB gets a lot harder, I believe them. However a lot of them said that the first few weeks were exasperating too.

The a-level I'm considering is History which is pretty similar to HL History in my opinion. However I have never heard of anyone in my school managing another "subject" I suppose, along with IB, and there are very capable students in my school.

The subjects I take currently are HL English, Biology, History and SL Maths, French and Chemistry. And I know a lot of people will say "you already take history" but I think it's the most manageable. I wanted to take a-level physics but practical work comes off as a concern for me, so I want to minimise the amount of problems.

Any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    HL history is worth more than A-level History, so not only will you be bored of it, it will be pointless. I have no idea how you would fit it into your timetable, on top of homework, coursework and CAS. Also, no matter what score you get predicted for IB you would get predicted higher if you had more time to spend on it instead of doing a pointless A level History. Seriously don't do it; it's pointless, and the IB does actually become time consuming.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the person above. It would be completley pointless, and you'd be better focusing your energy on getting the highest score you possibly can.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys!!

I was so close to considering it actually, but it's better asking more experienced students
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vms1993)
    Hey Guys.
    Okay so I'm considering taking a self-studied a-level along with my IB course. I've only been through 7 weeks of IB and I think I'm starting to get the gist of it, meaning, I'm doing alright. Many students say that IB gets a lot harder, I believe them. However a lot of them said that the first few weeks were exasperating too.

The a-level I'm considering is History which is pretty similar to HL History in my opinion. However I have never heard of anyone in my school managing another "subject" I suppose, along with IB, and there are very capable students in my school.

The subjects I take currently are HL English, Biology, History and SL Maths, French and Chemistry. And I know a lot of people will say "you already take history" but I think it's the most manageable. I wanted to take a-level physics but practical work comes off as a concern for me, so I want to minimise the amount of problems.

Any thoughts?
    I completed the IB- doing exactly the same subjects as you (apart from Chemistry!) at my school we used to have to do the local qualification and the IB qualification at the same time, however to do so they would take an extra six months to finish both the IB and the local leaving certificate. So if your school allows it, try to do one (or more) of the IB exams in the november session so you have more time to prepare.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.