Turn on thread page Beta

Arguments AGAINST raising taxes watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Im doing a debate opposing raising taxes at this current time, even though it is probably necessary...

I need as many reasons and as much evidence to support my argumentas possible.

Help would be appreciated greatly!

ReputationRep:
    If you're talking about in a recession specifically, then you want people to actually spend more and this is not achieved by taking it off them. More generally, I'd rather I choose how to spend my own rightfully earned income than the government, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bax-man)
    If you're talking about in a recession specifically, then you want people to actually spend more and this is not achieved by taking it off them. More generally, I'd rather I choose how to spend my own rightfully earned income than the government, thanks.

Well not necessarily, spending more creates more inflation which increases interest rates and as such reduces the amount people have to spend. I'm sure theres a flip side to this too, but all the same its just my two cents.

I think increased taxes are essential if we don't want to become bankrupt and end up like Argentina.

ReputationRep:
    You could make the argument that (depending on which tax/s you are increasing), you are instigating a situation where families who are on the edge financially can no longer afford to pay their rent, council tax, utility bills, transport costs and still put food on the table. There are a lot of families who have taken significant cuts in their income in order to keep their jobs...increased taxes are another kick in the teeth and this can push them over the edge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chap54)
    Well not necessarily, spending more creates more inflation which increases interest rates and as such reduces the amount people have to spend. I'm sure theres a flip side to this too, but all the same its just my two cents.

I think increased taxes are essential if we don't want to become bankrupt and end up like Argentina.
    If the Government taxes you and then spends it = if the Government doesn't tax you and you spend it

If anything the Government would create more inflation through tax + spend because they would spend 100% of the money and if you kept it yourself you'd put a proportion into savings...

and yeah lol there'll be a flip side to THIS as well :p: politics sucks

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure if this is a good argument, the inflation caused by government spending is due to the sheer effect the money is having, big building works or whathaveyou create a big multiplier and for that reason higher inflation.

Besides in the currrent recession keeping inflation low isn't a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123banana123)
    Im doing a debate opposing raising taxes at this current time, even though it is probably necessary...

I need as many reasons and as much evidence to support my argumentas possible.

Help would be appreciated greatly!
    Just one argument; Who are you going to tax? - Tax the top tax band - lower entrepenurial incentives, less money for the top to invest, more incentive to move away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spaztasticmania)
    If the Government taxes you and then spends it = if the Government doesn't tax you and you spend it

If anything the Government would create more inflation through tax + spend because they would spend 100% of the money and if you kept it yourself you'd put a proportion into savings...

and yeah lol there'll be a flip side to THIS as well :p: politics sucks
    Yea i do see what you mean, i just think that the government is less likely to spend all 100% than an individual, given the huge amounts of debts and interest payments they are incurring courtesy of the current public spending deficit. If anything the extra taxes would be used to reduce that amount. But then again... im sure theres another flipside :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chap54)
    Yea i do see what you mean, i just think that the government is less likely to spend all 100% than an individual, given the huge amounts of debts and interest payments they are incurring courtesy of the current public spending deficit. If anything the extra taxes would be used to reduce that amount. But then again... im sure theres another flipside :/
    Ah yes... That's a fair point... But then again, it depends at what time you start looking from. I guess if you looked right now it'd still be spent, not used to pay off the debt, because we're still pretty much spending our way out and printing money to pay for it, but if you looked at it when the economy is starting to round out a little bit then it would be partially used for debt repayment...

ReputationRep:
    If you raise taxes people have less money to spend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Buffyboy)
    Im not sure if this is a good argument, the inflation caused by government spending is due to the sheer effect the money is having, big building works or whathaveyou create a big multiplier and for that reason higher inflation.

Besides in the currrent recession keeping inflation low isn't a problem.
    Yes, but I'm generally of the opinion that individuals should be able to spend money as they wish, and not have it spent by some distant bureaucrat.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but I'm generally of the opinion that individuals should be able to spend money as they wish, and not have it spent by some distant bureaucrat.
    Yeah I agree with you, perhaps if the government needs a higher level of consumption, rather than repossessing peoples income they could perhaps nudge them into spending it.

For instance, say the government wants to boost the car manufacturing industry, instead cutting VAT on new car purchases they could help advertise and promote the new cars..

ReputationRep:
    Its about trust. Can the individual trust a politician in these times to spend money on their behalf?

Do we need to employ a policy of tax and spend? where does that get us? Spending our way out of a recession, is that going to work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Buffyboy)
    Yeah I agree with you, perhaps if the government needs a higher level of consumption, rather than repossessing peoples income they could perhaps nudge them into spending it.

For instance, say the government wants to boost the car manufacturing industry, instead cutting VAT on new car purchases they could help advertise and promote the new cars..
    Or stay out of the economy altogether, alternatively.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.