Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been learning to drive for a while now, but there is still one thing that causes me problems. When emerging from a junction, or starting the car from a standstill or at traffic lights, I can only manage to emerge slowly. Other drivers move off quickly and it's really frustrating.

If I try fast I just stall, because I have to lift the clutch slowly and apply gas otherwise all goes pear shaped resulting in a slow start. Any tips?

ReputationRep:
    know where your 'biting point' is so you can quickly raise the pedal that position!

ReputationRep:
    floor the accelerator, drop the clutch, and drive...

...to the mechanics

ReputationRep:
    If you want to pull away really quickly, and don't care about wheelspin (DONT do this in your test) bring the clutch to biting point and give the engine lots of revs. Applying the accelerator about half way-3/4s down would do, and lift the clutch as quickly as you can, whilst you go all the way down on the accelertor. However, this isnt good for tyres.

You can pull away as above, but release the clutch slower rather than "dumping it". You wont get any wheel spin, but doing this for a long time would probably wear the clutch down more than normal.

basically, it will come to you. Practice is good.
    But, unless you are in a real hurry, or the rozzers are chasing you, no point in hard launches.

key is, find the bite. Keeps the car balanced. then you can apply gas whilst lifting the clutch up.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.