Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Heres a quick outline of my situation

Went to Manchester in September 2003 to study Computer Science
    year 1 manchester - tuition fee loan
    year 2 manchester - tuition fee + maintenance loan
    year 3 manchester - maintenance

I failed in year 3 (i was actually resitting my 2nd year)

Went to Birmingham university to student Maths
    year 1 birmingham - tuiton fee - no maintenance - i take a leave of absense for mitigation reasons, told them i have a drugs/gambling problem...had a medical note to support this.
    year 2 birmingham - none - still technically on leave of absense so dont get anything
    year 3 birmingham - i get let back in again after providing medical evidence but then drop out before Christmas time. no tuition but maintenance

I apply for an internal transfer to International Studies with Economics

Around the 20th August 2009 I apply for student finance. I get a letter dated the 28th August 2009 from the Birmingham LEA saying that i WILL get student finance for my first year studying IS with Ecomomics for 3225 AND a maintenance loan.

August 25th I apply for Hertfordshire university. Apparently because its a fresh university I need to get my records sent from the Birmingham LEA to the student finance england. I rang them up a few days ago and they are now saying becaues I have already had 3 years of tuition fees that I cant get anymore, but I will get tuition fees in my final year only.

This completely amases me since on the 28th August I get a letter saying that if I stayed in Birmingham I would have received tuition fees aswell. But now that my records have been sent from Birminghams LEA --> Student Finance England ,they are adamant that I am NOT entitled to tuition fees. but for whatever reasons I got a letter on the 28th August 2009 (before i sent off my new paper verison off for Hertfordshire) saying I WOULD get tuition fees.

I am about to email Birmingham LEA and ask them to try and get the records sent back over from Student Finance England. Is there anything I can do to ensure I still get the tution fees and either Birmingham or Hertfordshire? It is really frustrating that ever since I thought it was a good idea to change to Hertfordshire they are suddenly making out as if I cant get tuition fees now... but I feel that if if I didn't bothe rapplying to HErtfordshire, and sending off a new loan application form for Hertfordshire, I would have got away with Birmingham paying my tution fees, since I received a letter in writing with an SSN saying that I would be entitled in Birmingham.

So now I'm trying to just jump back to Birmingham if I can and try and blag getting the tution fee.s

I know this was all a little rambled but I hope it makes sense. Basically, is there any way Birmingham LEA mistakingly gave me 1st year tuition fee entitlement for IS with Economics when they shuoldn't have? Or is it jsut that they understand my situation better than Student Finance England, who are saying I wont be entitled? If I transfer my application back is there any hope that the Birmingham LEA will just allow me to get the tution fees still, since they have already written it in writing?

Is there any way since they have already given that to me in writing that I can force them to give me those fees now? Since I wouldn't have applied for accomodation etc etc if I didn't think I was getting a tution fee loan?

Is this letter they sent me in writing (for an old application form that isn't valid anymore anyway ) enough to hold them to it if I apply again? Is there some law or something I can use to my advantage?

Pleaes let me know what you think, am i screwed and fked it up for myself so i cant get tuition fee loan anymore?

ReputationRep:
    I suspect SFE are more likely to be correct.

Is there any way since they have already given that to me in writing that I can force them to give me those fees now? Since I wouldn't have applied for accomodation etc etc if I didn't think I was getting a tution fee loan?

absolutely not.

Is this letter they sent me in writing (for an old application form that isn't valid anymore anyway ) enough to hold them to it if I apply again? Is there some law or something I can use to my advantage?

Definitely no!
    LOL.

What a chancer!

ReputationRep:
    You're not entitled to it though, you're allowed the length of your course + 1 so you've had 3 years and they've said you can have your final year paid.

ReputationRep:
    You get your course plus one year. You won't get anything. Please don't "blag" them and steal taxpayers money. It IS fraud as you are well aware of the potential deceit you intend to commit.

ReputationRep:
    You can have the normal length of your first undergraduate degree course + 1 year. So yes, you will only be entitled to funding for your final year...the rest you'll have to stump up yourself.
    That is the risk you take when changing courses part way through or resitting years.

ReputationRep:
    3rd time lucky eh?

ReputationRep:
    If they have written to you this time, stating they will pay for THIS YEAR then yes you can use that letter to request payment, but any previous invalid ones no you cant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    You get your course plus one year. You won't get anything. Please don't "blag" them and steal taxpayers money. It IS fraud as you are well aware of the potential deceit you intend to commit.
    He'll have to pay back any money he borrows and if he does it illegally they'll probably charge him interest + give him a criminal record.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insanesabre)
    If they have written to you this time, stating they will pay for THIS YEAR then yes you can use that letter to request payment, but any previous invalid ones no you cant.
    you may request but it has no legal force.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but normally if you request it strongly and it is valid a lot of places will honour their side of the deal, it can be seen as a binding contract, depending on if it was a letter going "okay we will pay for this year" of it if was actually the proper printout with a breakdown of your loan, if it was the latter the MUST honour it.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus Christ, whats the chances of you dropping out again ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insanesabre)
    Yes but normally if you request it strongly and it is valid a lot of places will honour their side of the deal, it can be seen as a binding contract, depending on if it was a letter going "okay we will pay for this year" of it if was actually the proper printout with a breakdown of your loan, if it was the latter the MUST honour it.
    don't think so. SFE are the financing body. They say no!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokemoneyman)
    Heres a quick outline of my situation

Went to Manchester in September 2003 to study Computer Science
    year 1 manchester - tuition fee loan
    year 2 manchester - tuition fee + maintenance loan
    year 3 manchester - maintenance

I failed in year 3 (i was actually resitting my 2nd year)

Went to Birmingham university to student Maths
    year 1 birmingham - tuiton fee - no maintenance - i take a leave of absense for mitigation reasons, told them i have a drugs/gambling problem...had a medical note to support this.
    year 2 birmingham - none - still technically on leave of absense so dont get anything
    year 3 birmingham - i get let back in again after providing medical evidence but then drop out before Christmas time. no tuition but maintenance

I apply for an internal transfer to International Studies with Economics

Around the 20th August 2009 I apply for student finance. I get a letter dated the 28th August 2009 from the Birmingham LEA saying that i WILL get student finance for my first year studying IS with Ecomomics for 3225 AND a maintenance loan.

August 25th I apply for Hertfordshire university. Apparently because its a fresh university I need to get my records sent from the Birmingham LEA to the student finance england. I rang them up a few days ago and they are now saying becaues I have already had 3 years of tuition fees that I cant get anymore, but I will get tuition fees in my final year only.

This completely amases me since on the 28th August I get a letter saying that if I stayed in Birmingham I would have received tuition fees aswell. But now that my records have been sent from Birminghams LEA --> Student Finance England ,they are adamant that I am NOT entitled to tuition fees. but for whatever reasons I got a letter on the 28th August 2009 (before i sent off my new paper verison off for Hertfordshire) saying I WOULD get tuition fees.

I am about to email Birmingham LEA and ask them to try and get the records sent back over from Student Finance England. Is there anything I can do to ensure I still get the tution fees and either Birmingham or Hertfordshire? It is really frustrating that ever since I thought it was a good idea to change to Hertfordshire they are suddenly making out as if I cant get tuition fees now... but I feel that if if I didn't bothe rapplying to HErtfordshire, and sending off a new loan application form for Hertfordshire, I would have got away with Birmingham paying my tution fees, since I received a letter in writing with an SSN saying that I would be entitled in Birmingham.

So now I'm trying to just jump back to Birmingham if I can and try and blag getting the tution fee.s

I know this was all a little rambled but I hope it makes sense. Basically, is there any way Birmingham LEA mistakingly gave me 1st year tuition fee entitlement for IS with Economics when they shuoldn't have? Or is it jsut that they understand my situation better than Student Finance England, who are saying I wont be entitled? If I transfer my application back is there any hope that the Birmingham LEA will just allow me to get the tution fees still, since they have already written it in writing?

Pleaes let me know what you think, am i screwed and fked it up for myself so i cant get tuition fee loan anymore?
    If you withdrew from your most recent course due to strong 'compelling personal reasons' (CPR) and can provide evidence then you get fee support for the first year of your new course.

Your history of study is on the national system that SLC/SFE/LEAs use so there is no hiding what you have done from anyone and no way of blaggin anything

I would contact your old LEA and ask them for advice on how they assessed you

They may have disregarded some of your previous study due to CPR and given you more years of funding than SFE have

The rules are the same so if you have evidence that you repeated or withdrew due to CPR you can always apply to SFE and appeal the decision with a well written appeal form and documentary evidence

You cannot speak to the assessors at SFE (only call centre staff) so your LEA should be able to give you better advice as they will know the student finance regulations as well as actually having your file with notes on how you were assessed by them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    don't think so. SFE are the financing body. They say no!
    Wow.

You actually got something right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASCIIcipher)
    Wow.

You actually got something right.

you got a vested interest in encouraging feckless wasters?

ReputationRep:
    In agreement, and also if you received previous funding for years due to compelling personal reasons, they aren't taken into account when calculating your entitlement.

Birmingham will need to clarify this in writing though for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    you got a vested interest in encouraging feckless wasters?
    Yeah. I used to be one before I grew up :lol:

Seriously though, you cannot blag CPR - you have to have evidence so I am not helping him to blag anything, just explaining why Birmingham may have given him funding where SFE are not.

I know the student finance regulations and I am sure Birmingham LEA do to. SFE may not have all the information to make the correct decision

If he is entitled to funding he is entitled to funding. In life I try to treat people the way I like to be treated.

If you had made a few mistakes along the way in your life I am sure you would appreciate someone giving you a helping hand to the support you are entitled to.

Mind you, the way you chuck your opinions around I don't expect people go out of their way to help you :rofl2:

ReputationRep:
    part of my compelling personal reasons were a cannabis and gambling addiction. im not sure if they would have bias against this and decide not to give me a loan because of it??

this allowed me to take a leave of absense while at birmingham, and they then let me back in in my 3rd year, but then i decided to give up the course. im hoping the birmingham lea will let it slide once i get some of the letters that i gave into the university. now that its been sent over to SFE, and is going to be sent back again, im guessin birmingham will be strict about it too.

there were actually CPR though, and im not trying to blag it, i respect the law and tihnk ive learnt from my lessons now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokemoneyman)
    part of my compelling personal reasons were a cannabis and gambling addiction. im not sure if they would have bias against this and decide not to give me a loan because of it??
    I can't really comment as CPR is dealt with on a case by case basis

If you have sought professional help from doctors and/or counsellors in the past and can supply evidence of this it would help your case

If not, it is doubtful that you will be awarded additional tuition fee support but I do not think you will be denied funding altogether

ReputationRep:
    Basically, you're entitled to one additional year of funding, that's it. You're not going to get the extra funding, sorry. And believe me, I know. I had to stump up half a years fees last year because I transferred unis and I'd already done a year before that.

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.