The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

DJkG.1
:hmmm:

All those examples of Britain's achievements are from the past - yet you then make your argument by asking us to compare Britain to Iraq, presumably in the modern day.

Including the one about having a high standard of living compared to the vast majority of other countries? I'll mention some more if you like - the fact that we have a democracy, and not an insane oppressive theocracy. In Britain, we have the freedom to practise any religion we want, in the Middle East, you are either a Muslim or you are stoned to death. Likewise, women there are treated as second class citizens. I could go on, but I don’t want to bore you with things you already know.

If you educate yourself a bit and look into the history of Iraq / Mesopotamia - you'll realise that it's hard to deem one civilisation greater than another. You could have at least picked a seemingly primitive society to compare Britain too, Iraq is a typically ignorant choice.

No point here to respond to, just ad hominems: "educate yourself a bit", "ignorant choice".

Just for interest, I'm not at all against patriotism and I don't believe that it is silly to be proud of your race / country like a lot of TSRians believe. I just wanted to reply to your specific post.

Fair enough.
gillybeans
I posted a thread before and people actually said, I kid you not, that it is silly to be proud of your country.

Perhaps it is this attitude that is dragging Britain slowly down world rankings. I think the reason America is the world's only remaining superpower (I have US citizenship on my mother's side) is because of the fierce patriotism shown by its countrymen. Unlike here where people act as though flying a flag is supporting the BNP.

This site is full of ethnics* and A level students self-styled as social anarchists.

*Doesn't mean all ethnics are unpatriotic but they are disproportionately so.**

**Please **** off if you're going to deny the obvious.
Reply 142
Xerophelistica
Oh I don't know, the fact that MILLIONS UPON MILLIONS of British men and women have died to keep this country free from oppresive outside forces like the Nazis, the fact that the British played a huge part in helping to abolish slavery, the fact that our ancestors have built a country with now provides us with one of the highest standards of living in the world?

Yes, there are bad parts, but everything is relative. Compare Britain to Iraq and you'll start to see where I'm coming from.

Honestly, if you these things don't make you at least slightly proud to be British, then you truly are a disgusting individual.

I admire the people that did those things, however for every person trying ot abolsih slavery there would have been people trying to save it.

There would ahve been nazi symapthisers.

Not only that but remeber we kinda started aqnd greatky profited from slavery(african).

But i do admire all those people who gave their lives for this country and i am proud of this countries history but i'm not proud of its current state and to be proud for prides sake is stupid i was born here by chance not design
Supporting21
China is just as dependent on the United States as the latter is on the former.

This is true. 80% of China's income is (international) trade related. China likes to pretend to be high and mighty but the reality is western powers could cause a revolution in China by mid day if we shut off trade and dispatched our navies. China doesn't even have a blue water navy.

Rumours of China's rise are greatly exaggerated. It is a very vulnerable nation. In thirty years time, saying the world revolves around China will mean something - but today it is so fragile it cannot afford to even retake Taiwan.
Reply 144
Xerophelistica
Including the one about having a high standard of living compared to the vast majority of other countries? I'll mention some more if you like - the fact that we have a democracy, and not an insane oppressive theocracy. In Britain, we have the freedom to practise any religion we want, in the Middle East, you are either a Muslim or you are stoned to death. Likewise, women there are treated as second class citizens. I could go on, but I don’t want to bore you with things you already know.

No point here to respond to, just ad hominems: "educate yourself a bit", "ignorant choice".

Fair enough.

You misunderstood my post.

I was simply bringing to your attention the fact that in the history of somewhere like Iraq, many great discoveries and advances of civilisation have existed over long periods of time. Therefore, it is incredibly naive of you to continuously cite British achievements whilst comparing them to the corresponding lack-of-achievement in Iraq.

Such descriptions don't make for a good argument mate.

Neither does it help for you to dismiss as ad hominems the arguments which you would like to ignore. :rolleyes:

Oh well, suit yourself.
Reply 145
Supporting21
Population, economic might, cultural influence, military prowess and etc.

While possession of nuclear weapons affords countries a certain degree of clout, they do not, by themselves, render a country a superpower. For example, Brazil does not possess nuclear weapons, but only a imbecile would claim that Pakistan is more powerful than Brazil merely because the former possess nuclear weapons.

Secondly, whether Russia has more nuclear weapons than the United States is irrelevant. The important question is this: does the United States possess a sufficient number of nuclear weapons and the capability to strike Russian territory? If so, it doesn't matter if the Russian Federation has a couple of more nuclear weapons than the United States. To give you an analogy, if you and I are standing next to each other and we each have a gun in other hands, it doesn't really matter that you have six bullets and I have four.

The United States would not have made a military intervention in that conflict even if it wasn't between Russia and Georgia, but between Turkmenistan and Georgia. You must understand that the United States is not the guardian of the world that's going to go around rescuing other countries. While I don't doubt that the US would have probably been more strict if a less powerful country had invaded Georgia, I am pretty confident that it would not have intervened military whoever the adversaries.

China is just as dependent on the United States as the latter is on the former.

I can't really argue a lot with the things you said even though i still consider the world to be multi polarised.

However i think the dependency will shift in chinas favour very soon if it is not already there.
Tefhel
Yes, exactly - it's actually an extremely selfish thing to say, as if "Only the things that I do are worth caring about".

Quite.

And to bring up another point, I've noticed the reasoning on this thread is very reductive. People have said it's inherently silly to be patriotic as no country is better than any other.
Well, it's not that simple. Frankly I find certain British values to be better than some of those found in other cultures. As a woman I'd rather not have my female genitals removed at birth, for example. Patriotism isn't particularly about condemning other countries anyway, it's about being proud of your country for it's achievements but it doesn't have to be blind nationalism. I'm aware of the best aspects of British culture and history and the absolute worst of both and I can appreciate and understand the consequences of them to other countries.

I am aware that I am British and I will always be British. I am defined by my nationality in my eyes and the eyes of others. I support Britain in the some of the values it upholds, which I believe are inherently fair to human life and oppose the actions of British government which stray from reason and fairness to it's citizens.

I'm not so self-absorbed that I can say: "oh why should I care about the country or anything it does?". Of course this opinion is allowed but I think it is an isolating stance and doesn't bring about much good or fairness to others.

The only non-patriots I sympathise with on this thread are anarchists at least they have a plausible reason to find patriotism silly, in that they believe the State is inherently bad.
Libtolu
Not only that but remeber we kinda started aqnd greatky profited from slavery(african).

Britain did not start the slavery of Africans. This has been going on for millennia in trade markets in the middle east using imported Africans. As late as the 1500s there were North African slavers operating off Islands surrounding Britain to capture British people for African slave markets. 20,000 from Lumly island alone. The Portugese were the main Europeans involved in slavery. Any role Britain had in slavery is more then balanced by our role in being at the front of abolishing it. Without Britain's power it's very likely wide-spread slavery could of persisted as late as the 20th century among European powers with no exaggeration. Remember the American civil war didn't finish till 1865 - that's just slaves in the South of USA.

I find it deeply frustrating when Britain is criticised for slavery - we did more then any nation on earth to end it, starting wars - attacking plantations the royal navy came across etc. It is very very deeply frustrating and usually betrays a superficial understanding of history.
Reply 148
Libtolu

That's not true at all - the Romans had slaves from Africa more than a millenium before medieval Europe did.
Reply 149
Tefhel
That's not true at all - the Romans had slaves from Africa more than a millenium before medieval Europe did.

:mad: Bastards.
Libtolu
I can't really argue a lot with the things you said even though i still consider the world to be multi polarised.

Yes, it is becoming multi-polarised - which is a good thing, in my opinion - however, I think it is safe to say that the United States is still the, albeit weakening, dominant power in the world.

Libtolu
However i think the dependency will shift in chinas favour very soon if it is not already there.

You are right, the tide is certainly turning in favour of China, however, China will not become a dominant power in the way that the United States has been over the past twenty years for at least another half a century.

Furthermore, I think the future is not set in stone for China. There are many issues eg democracy, the rise of individualism, ethnic and religious divisions and so on, which almost certainly will cause much headache for the Chinese regime in the coming years and decades.
JonMDavies
But this still doesn't tell me why I should be patriotic.

Patriotism is love of and/or devotion to one's country
I'm not trying to tell you to be patriotic. But playing hockey for my country shows my devotion, and the feeling of being called out to be in the final squad is just amazing.
I'm not very good at explaining :o:
but you must support your country at different events and stuff...
Reply 152
x_dwin_ffeimys_x
Patriotism is love of and/or devotion to one's country
I'm not trying to tell you to be patriotic. But playing hockey for my country shows my devotion, and the feeling of being called out to be in the final squad is just amazing.
I'm not very good at explaining :o:
but you must support your country at different events and stuff...

Death for one's country is the most patriotic act imaginable?

Suicide bombers must be outstanding patriots.
Reply 153
It doesn't really make logical sense to be patriotic.

I was born in in a bed in a hospital in Cambridge in England, but that's part of the UK, which is part of Europe, which is part of the world, which is part of the universe. Why be proud of England in particular?

Its just lines on a map.

And also, Globalization is moving us towards a world without countries. Patriotism is a force against that, which is bad.

In terms of someone who wrote about "protecting our culture because its the most advanced and can only be diluted by globalization", you are wrong. Cultures develop by mixing and that can't be stopped. And why would you want to stop a 'advanced culture' from spreading?
UGeNe
Death for one's country is the most patriotic act imaginable?

Suicide bombers must be outstanding patriots.

true, but not true...
maby suicide bommers do it not just beause of love for ones country, but other things, like brain washed, money, threats...to be honest theya re so wierd they have something missing in their heads, because if they drop bombs don't they realise the mess they leave their country they onced "loved" in? The attacks on 9/11 left their country ina war, why would you do that out of devosion?
Seven_Three
How is it 'educated' to understand the meaning of a very basic English word? Tbh if you don't know that you are pretty ******* stupid, as seems to be the case with alot of people itt. Or posibly they are ignoring the orginal intent of the op because they don't like what he is saying.

:toofunny:

Why should I take pride in achievements that are not mine? Why should I elevate the achievements of people who, by an accident of birth, are the same nationality as me compared to foreigners in my esteem?
Reply 156
x_dwin_ffeimys_x
and how SH*T would that be?
no football world cup, no olympics, no common wealth, no winter olympics, no wimbeldon....

People can still play games against each other.
Reply 157
Rule Britannia
Britain did not start the slavery of Africans. This has been going on for millennia in trade markets in the middle east using imported Africans. As late as the 1500s there were North African slavers operating off Islands surrounding Britain to capture British people for African slave markets. 20,000 from Lumly island alone. The Portugese were the main Europeans involved in slavery. Any role Britain had in slavery is more then balanced by our role in being at the front of abolishing it. Without Britain's power it's very likely wide-spread slavery could of persisted as late as the 20th century among European powers with no exaggeration. Remember the American civil war didn't finish till 1865 - that's just slaves in the South of USA.

I find it deeply frustrating when Britain is criticised for slavery - we did more then any nation on earth to end it, starting wars - attacking plantations the royal navy came across etc. It is very very deeply frustrating and usually betrays a superficial understanding of history.

No i didn't mean slavery slavery i meant in the last period of enslavement we were the ones to transport slaves form west africa to the new world.

I'm well aware that africans and practically all other races have been used as slaves by at least one nation in their history.
Cj-Tj
I agree, but students have always been traditionally lefties. They havent seen enough of the world, or know enough of our history to be proud of what we have left. Some of it is becoming a joke.

this
Reply 159
Supporting21
Yes, it is becoming multi-polarised - which is a good thing, in my opinion - however, I think it is safe to say that the United States is still the, albeit weakening, dominant power in the world.

You are right, the tide is certainly turning in favour of China, however, China will not become a dominant power in the way that the United States has been over the past twenty years for at least another half a century.

Furthermore, I think the future is not set in stone for China. There are many issues eg democracy, the rise of individualism, ethnic and religious divisions and so on, which almost certainly will cause much headache for the Chinese regime in the coming years and decades.

Yes, china does seem to have a weird thing going on, it's economy is slowly becoming more and more capitalist yet its rulling party still profess to be communist and still operate on a similar ideology, it will eventually come to loggerheads.

Possibly civil war?

Latest

Trending

Trending