The Student Room Group
No, the award depends on the specific content on the course and you can do an MSc after a BA :smile:
Reply 2
~ Mandy
No, the award depends on the specific content on the course and you can do an MA after a BSc :smile:

Is it not true that the older univeristys such as Oxford, Cambridge, Durham award a BA in many of their degrees purley down to tradition despite the degrees being very maths heavy (e.g. Economics & Management at Oxford, Economics at Durham). Whereas other univeristys award a BA, like you said on the specific content (e.g. Manchester offer a BA and BSc Accounting course).
Reply 3
Bump
Reply 4
JAgg
Is it not true that the older univeristys such as Oxford, Cambridge, Durham award a BA in many of their degrees purley down to tradition despite the degrees being very maths heavy (e.g. Economics & Management at Oxford, Economics at Durham). Whereas other univeristys award a BA, like you said on the specific content (e.g. Manchester offer a BA and BSc Accounting course).

True. Oxbridge are just stupid like that.
JAgg
Am I right to assume that if you do a BA you can't do a MSc? Also, if you do a BSc you can't do a MA?

No

JAgg
The reason I'm asking if because Durham's Acc+Finance course is a BA (I heard this is down to tradition, anyone wanna clarify this?) and was wondering if it would limit my post-grad opportunities.

No, it won't.
Reply 6
JAgg

Only Oxbridge do this.
Reply 7
Bachelor of Commerce>BA, BBA, MBA
Reply 8
Having a BA does not necessarily mean that you have to study an MA. I know of somebody who did my course at King's (which is a BA) and is going on to study MSc Speech and Language Therapy.
Reply 9
.ACS.
Only Oxbridge do this.

But Durham's Economic/Finance courses are heavily maths-based. I don't get it, I thought BAs had less mathematical content...
Reply 10
JAgg
Am I right to assume that if you do a BA you can't do a MSc? Also, if you do a BSc you can't do a MA?

The reason I'm asking if because Durham's Acc+Finance course is a BA (I heard this is down to tradition, anyone wanna clarify this?) and was wondering if it would limit my post-grad opportunities.

At Oxbridge you get given an MA automatically 6 years after first entering the university as an undergrad, providing you complete your BA degree... :biggrin:
Reply 11
Uh, mabye I should start making thread title that will draw more attention such as 'Should I use a prostitute' ;\