Turn on thread page Beta

Taliban claim they pose no threat to west watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Here's the main bulk of what they say according to this article:

"We did not have any agenda to harm other countries including Europe nor we have such agenda today," said the statement, which was posted on a known Taliban website. "Still, if you want to turn the country of the proud and pious Afghans into a colony, then know that we have an unwavering determination and have braced for a prolonged war."
    So what does everyone think? I think we should drop all this "we do not negotiate with terrorists" policy because it's clearly not working and more (British) troops are dying in Afghanistan than before. Little progress is being made and the Taliban did offer a deal to the US at the start of the war that they would hand over Osama as long as the bombing campaign stopped. This proved to be the wrong decision in my opinion as we've got nowhere since. With our current tactics I doubt we're going to make any progress and this war is draining resources during an incredibly bad economic period which we'll have to pay for at some point given our debts.

The Taliban have made it clear they are "ready for a prolonged war" so we can't expect this to be over any time soon. They no longer rule the country, it has been handed over to the Afghan government but I think instead of having a military presence there we should instead spend our resources on supporting the Afghan government in building infastructure, law enforcement, train their army (as we currently doing) and help build trade links and then the Taliban will slowly become redundant.

I think the removal of our military presence in Afghanistan should be dependant on the Taliban not being allowed to commit further bombings and killing innocent civilians and I think they'd accept this proposal. It would at least bring some stability to the region and allow the Afghan government and economy to develop until it strong enough to maintain its power. The Taliban group will still be allowed to exist but it would no longer engage in violent acts domestically or abroad unless the conditions of deal are broken, i.e. if we re-invade Afghanistan.

ReputationRep:
    They only target countries over real and percieved grievences. There's a reason Norway and Sweden aren't being hit by terrorist attacks; it's called blowback.

This seems to be disinformation to sway US policy makers as they debate Afghanistan and what to do in the tribal areas of Pakistan. They admit they want their version of an Islamic system, and they see Afghanistan and Pakistan as the easiest places to implement it. The Pakistani Taliban negotiated a deal with the Pakistani government to implement Shariah law in some areas of North Pakistan. It resulted in huge human rights abuses. The fundamental aspect of state sovereingty means they simply cannot have their own patch of land. They want to expand, just like they did in North Pakistan.

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, so we're the bad guys now. What a load of ****

If the Taliban can assure the West that they will no longer harbour those who would bring destruction to the West, then they might have a point. Considering that they can do no such thing, and they harboured Osama, then they've got two hopes of us using that as a pretext for bailing out.

ReputationRep:
    The Talibans don't have the capacity to harm the West. Just their own people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paxdax)
    The Talibans don't have the capacity to harm the West. Just their own people.
    True, though they do have the capacity, when in control of a state, to harbour terrorists that can harm the West. If they uphold what they claim, that they don't intend to harm western democracy (in my opinion, and probably the majority of the Western world, full of crap), then they should have thought twice about giving sanctuary to Al Qaeda before 9/11. Whether they harm us directly or indirectly it is irrelevant. Who is to blame for a killing? The murderer, or the man who put the gun in the murderers' hand?

ReputationRep:
    taliban are totally different from al qaida. taliban just dont want any foriegners in their lands. however al qaida have bigger plans than that.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.