Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Please help guys, i'm applying for medicine in 2 days and need to make a decision where to apply.

So, how isolated is keele, how long does it take to get to a city centre ( is there one?! ),

are there lots of restaurants, cool clubs around?

how friendly are people? is there a diverse range of people?

how big is the campus?

thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Well, I've only been here for two weeks, but...

Keele on campus feels fairly isolated, which is quite nice I think. Newcastle-under-lyme, stoke and hanley are only a short bus trip away, and there's plenty of shopping to do there, and from what I gather then there's a few good clubs in Newcastle.

Most people I think go out to the pubs on campus or to the student's union, which houses a few bars and a fairly big room for clubbing.

As for restaurants, I haven't been to any, mainly due to not being able to afford it, but there's plenty of take-outs and things either on campus or available by delivery.

And the people are really friendly here; one of the reasons I chose keele is 'cause it doesn't seem to have so many divides between people as you get in other universities, seeming everyone's living so close by and interacting all the time then you'll always find someone you know on a night out.

Choose Keele!

ReputationRep:
    Keele campus is very nice, and the uni has very good facilities, but the surrounding towns are quite dismal. I would try and visit before applying as it may not be your cup of tea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmersonDrain)
    Keele campus is very nice, and the uni has very good facilities, but the surrounding towns are quite dismal. I would try and visit before applying as it may not be your cup of tea.
    Yeah, that is a concern, I'm into lively big cities... But then again, keele is an easier uni to get into..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SonnyJim)
    Well, I've only been here for two weeks, but...

Keele on campus feels fairly isolated, which is quite nice I think. Newcastle-under-lyme, stoke and hanley are only a short bus trip away, and there's plenty of shopping to do there, and from what I gather then there's a few good clubs in Newcastle.

Most people I think go out to the pubs on campus or to the student's union, which houses a few bars and a fairly big room for clubbing.

As for restaurants, I haven't been to any, mainly due to not being able to afford it, but there's plenty of take-outs and things either on campus or available by delivery.

And the people are really friendly here; one of the reasons I chose keele is 'cause it doesn't seem to have so many divides between people as you get in other universities, seeming everyone's living so close by and interacting all the time then you'll always find someone you know on a night out.

Choose Keele!
    Thanks, for the info.

How big is the student population? Are there lots of people from different ethnic backgrounds? How diverse is it...

ReputationRep:
    You say you're into lively big cities then don't pick Keele. Keele may be easier to get into, but if you ultimately wont be happy then what's the point in even applying? Castle and Hanley are alright for a night out in terms of clubs, but still aren't anything major. Brum and Manchester aren't too far away though if you are willing to compromise...

ReputationRep:
    Mmm I reckon that at least 1/4 of the student population are of asian descent? (please forgive me if I'm wrong!) It's fairly diverse culturally, I was playing pool yesterday with a swede, a canadian and talked to an indian for a bit (sounds like the set-up to a joke, no?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suzie_h)
    You say you're into lively big cities then don't pick Keele. Keele may be easier to get into, but if you ultimately wont be happy then what's the point in even applying? Castle and Hanley are alright for a night out in terms of clubs, but still aren't anything major. Brum and Manchester aren't too far away though if you are willing to compromise...
    I know, at the moment I'm just trying to compromise between being happy and getting a degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A100whoo)
    Yeah, that is a concern, I'm into lively big cities... But then again, keele is an easier uni to get into..
    For medicine, :no:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    No university is easy to get into for medicine :shakehead:

ReputationRep:
    Please help guys, i'm applying for medicine in 2 days and need to make a decision where to apply.

So, how isolated is keele, how long does it take to get to a city centre ( is there one?! ),

are there lots of restaurants, cool clubs around?

how friendly are people? is there a diverse range of people?

how big is the campus?

thanks!
    Heh, the Keele medical school is just down the road from my school

Newcastle-Under-Lyme isn't THAT small, there is a city centre and it's very easy + relatively cheap to get into it, I think. If you're based at the med school, you can just take the 101 bus into the centre and it should only cost about £1... the same bus also goes into Stoke-On-Trent (Hanley), which is a much bigger place with better nightlife etc. There are quite a few nice restaurants in NUL... couple of Chineses, a Thai restaurant, an Italian, plus your usual pubs.

As for the rest of the campus, I'm not too sure, but I think it is kinda out of the way from Keele + NUL...

Good luck with your decision + application, I'm applying for medicine too but I'm staying away from Keele... too close to home for me :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~ Mandy ~)
    No university is easy to get into for medicine :shakehead:
    I know I know, i'm sick of people telling me that, which is why i used the word EASIER

ReputationRep:
    £1.45 for a bus into Castle/Hanley now :emo:. It was £1.20 in my first year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zayne)
    £1.45 for a bus into Castle/Hanley now :emo:. It was £1.20 in my first year.
    :cry2: me too

ReputationRep:
    i'm going to the open day on sat, so was wondering does anyone know how much a return ticket (non student) from hanley to the campus is ?
    oh and it is the 25 bus isnt it ?
    -k-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerry_452)
    i'm going to the open day on sat, so was wondering does anyone know how much a return ticket (non student) from hanley to the campus is ?
    oh and it is the 25 bus isnt it ?
    -k-
    Return I'm not sure... but less than £!
    Yep the 25

ReputationRep:
    They don't issue return tickets anymore.

ReputationRep:
    well i was looking at the First website and the day tickets are £4.50, am i better off paying for single tickets (hanley to the campus and back again) ?
    oh also where do i get off the bus ?, hmmmm i've got a feeling i'm going to go in a complete circle on the bus.
    -k-

ReputationRep:
    Singles are cheaper I think. Get off outside the Students Union, as the bus goes round the mini roundabout on campus, press the bell Make sure you're actually on campus though as there is like 2 roundabouts before the one I mean. Or just look for the Students Union, it'll be on your right

ReputationRep:
    ooh i found a better ticket, the plusbus that you can ask for with a train ticket only costs £2 more and its unlimited buses in stoke, newcastle, and keele.
    -k-

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.