Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering whether those that are privately educated have a bigger chance of getting offers at universities (any, not just Oxbridge).

Or is this just a mere myth?

ReputationRep:
    Myth

You don't get an offer because of the school you went to. People may think this due to private school kids getting better results than the average state school kid.

ReputationRep:
    In that they'll get better grades than if they weren't privately educated, and so be advantaged in that way, yes.
    In that Universities will give them an offer based purely or at least partly on the fact that they were privately educated, no.

ReputationRep:
    With social engineering, I'd say it is more likely that you'll get an offer if you are state school educated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toblerone93)
    Myth

You don't get an offer because of the school you went to. People may think this due to private school kids getting better results than the average state school kid.
    Yeah thats what I always thought, but I meant, say hypothetically speaking, there were two identical candidates, one privately educated, the other not. Who, in your opinion, would they choose?

I think i'd choose the non-privately educated because they might need it more?

ReputationRep:
    I would also choose the non-privately educated if they had the same grades, cos surely they have more ability by getting identical grades but with the disadvantage of not having the best teaching available?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.R.E)
    Yeah thats what I always thought, but I meant, say hypothetically speaking, there were two identical candidates, one privately educated, the other not. Who, in your opinion, would they choose?

I think i'd choose the non-privately educated because they might need it more?
    Errr no... it's nothing to do with need. It's to do with the considerably higher probability of the state candidate having had to endure poorer teaching/resources etc and yet still managing to match the private candidates grades.

ReputationRep:
    So then, what is the advantage of being privately educated?

The type of people your surrounded by?

Surely people in state schools aren't all "bad".

So could someone tell me what the point is?

ReputationRep:
    when it comes to choosing between candidates with similar grades, the state educated is more likely as the fact that they are achieving the grades shows more evidence of natural ability

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.R.E)

Increased probability of gaining strong grades, high quality of teaching, alternative teaching styles, prestige etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    I know an admissions tutor at a University . He says he is not even remotely interested in whether a potential student is state or privately educated, just in the quality of the potential student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.R.E)

class size
    and

£5K spent per pupil each year in the state system
    £10k spent per pupil each year in private system

ReputationRep:
    Myth

If anything, if everything else is equal, they are more likely to pick a state schooled person, as they will have had to put more effort in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt2k8)
    Myth

If anything, if everything else is equal, they are more likely to pick a state schooled person, as they will have had to put more effort in.
    this

ReputationRep:
    Myth. If you have the right grades, there's nothing to stop you getting offers

And as for advantages of private schools - better facilities, smaller class sizes, more extra-curricular clubs and a wider range of sports and opportunities... You don't pay the money for nothing!

ReputationRep:
    OK - this thread has run its course I think.

Some private schools are a lot worse in terms of average academic achievement than some state schools. However, in general, privately educated students achieve a disproportionately large number of the top grades. This will be for a number of reasons, natural selection being one of them. As in, people who are bright academically will tend to (a) earn more (b) have children who are equally bright and (c) opt to place their children in the private sector if the local state sector is dire. Bright (middle-class) kids tend to do well, wherever they are. Unis want bright people, and are rightly resistant to the idea that they shouldn't. Bright kids in schools with low expectations/average achievement are at a disadvantage and unis generally will take this into account, as they should.

What unis can't do by themselves is deal with the teachers in these low achieving/low expectation schools, who sometimes actively discourage kids from aiming high. And they certainly can't do anything about the lamentable quality of some of the primary education that's on offer, particularly in high-density urban areas. The fact that some schools can and do turn themselves around shows what's possible, but if we can't even get primary education right it's hardly surprising that results at secondary level can be pretty grim.

To answer the OP's question, a privately educated student is more likely to be at higher ranked unis because they tend to have higher grades and more of them, not because they are privately educated. Students with higher grades are more likely to get offers because they have those grades, not because of the school they went to.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.