The Student Room Group
Reply 1
It shouldn't, provided that she can demonstrate insight into her condition and knows where/how to seek help appropriately. Concealing it, however, if it affects her practice, is a far more serious issue, plus how will she cope once at medical school?

Mental health problems are incredibly common and medical students are not immune. The high-stress environment and emotional intensity of parts of the course (especially clinical school) probably make it even more common. It should not be a barrier to practice as long as it's dealt with sensibly.
Reply 2
Insight = knowing you have a problem and how it's affecting you. It seems she does realise this, but denying it because she thinks medical schools will look down on it is a dangerous road to take. Seeking help - whether this is going to her GP, seeing a counsellor or going to the school/uni's welfare service, it's important that she knows she can and should do this. Telling you is a good start, but unfortunately you don't count as a professional! If she hides this now (I'm presuming she's applying at the moment), even if she does get in, how does she think she will continue to hide it through medical school? Better to get help early rather than jeapordise her health and/or career in the future.
Reply 3
As long as it doesn't affect your fitness to practice, no, they can't. But I can't emphasise enough that she needs to do something about it rather than hiding it.
They dont have access to your medical records.
But can i say tell your friend to go and get help. Surely her health is important??

Dont be like me otherwise your will be up **** creek.
You are obliged to tell them your medical history if they ask for it, I think. Depression is not a barrier to medical school - me and thousands of others are living proof of that. Refusing to seek professional help is a problem, though. Medical students and doctors have to be transparent and honest about their weaknesses - failure to seek help is a fitness to practice issue, as the longer you continue to practice without seeking help, the more risk you are to patients.

Latest

Trending

Trending