Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How good is your private school? I've always longed to go! Does anybody board? Are there loads of Asians? Do you have beautiful grounds? Are you considered thick if you're getting B's at A Level? Do you where a suit in sixth form? Do you get pushed into applying into Oxbridge? Do you get more than 3 students into Oxbridge a year? Who's the richest person at your school? Are your teachers really good? Do you ever wish you went to a state school? Does "affirmative action" by universities irritate you (universities favouring state-schoolers in an attempt to even things up)? Are you posh? Do you play a musical instrument to grade 8? Do you row?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I've always wondered this aswell. It seems as though it is another world.

ReputationRep:
    This speaks for itself...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playboy King)

That's a university.

ReputationRep:
    As a member of a private school that's 21st in the country according to the times rankings (King Edward's School Bath) I would have to say that no, having Bs doesn't make you stupid. Personally I got AABB at AS, and A*A*A*A*A*AABC at GCSE and I'm considered alright at the school. Mind you, I reckon around 10 people have got AAAA and 10x A* at AS and GCSE respectively in my year. We get plenty of people getting low Ds, Es and so forth. On the other hand, we've got 19 Oxbridge Applicants this year and 9 or so medical applicants (not sure if that's a high number or not).

ReputationRep:
    from my experiance, as many ********s at private school as there are at state school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playboy King)

:rofl:

Did anyone see "When Boris Met Dave" on C4? My mate told me to watch on 4oD and it's a real laugh. Terrible actors depicting Boris Johnson and Cameron while explicitly telling you to go Conservative.

ReputationRep:
    It's kind of like a school, only private. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I hated my secont bording school...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adam_Smithers)
    How good is your private school? I've always longed to go! Does anybody board? Are there loads of Asians? Do you have beautiful grounds? Are you considered thick if you're getting B's at A Level? Do you where a suit in sixth form? Do you get pushed into applying into Oxbridge? Do you get more than 3 students into Oxbridge a year? Who's the richest person at your school? Are your teachers really good? Do you ever wish you went to a state school? Does "affirmative action" by universities irritate you? Are you posh? Do you play a musical instrument to grade 8? Do you row?

Thanks.
    How good is your private school? Pretty good
    Does anybody board? Not personally, but our school does have boarders
    Are there loads of Asians? Hong Kong if you count that, they're all lovely
    Do you have beautiful grounds? Not particularly
    Are you considered thick if you're getting B's at A Level? No
    Do you where a suit in sixth form? Nope, uniform
    Do you get pushed into applying into Oxbridge? No
    Do you get more than 3 students into Oxbridge a year? Yes
    Who's the richest person at your school? No idea
    Are your teachers really good? A mix tbh, some are AMAZING
    Do you ever wish you went to a state school? Never really thought about it!!
    Does "affirmative action" by universities irritate you? Huh?
    Are you posh? LOL, no way :lol:
    Do you play a musical instrument to grade 8? Piano and violin.
    Do you row? No, lol.

ReputationRep:
    I always wonder about this too, coming from my 'oh so tragic, in the eyes of universities, rural comp'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electriic_ink)
    That's a university.
    all the members of the bullingdon club went to eton.

(Original post by Arnie Pie In The Sky)
    :rofl:

Did anyone see "When Boris Met Dave" on C4? My mate told me to watch on 4oD and it's a real laugh. Terrible actors depicting Boris Johnson and Cameron while explicitly telling you to go Conservative.
    watched it and really didn't like how they portrayed the characters (well boris). a really odd programme!

ReputationRep:
    How good is your private school? Pretty good! My year came first in the country (on one of the league tables anyway) for GCSEs in 08
    Does anybody board? No
    Are there loads of Asians? Not really.
    Do you have beautiful grounds? Nope!
    Are you considered thick if you're getting B's at A Level? Not at all
    Do you where a suit in sixth form? Yes
    Do you get pushed into applying into Oxbridge? No.
    Do you get more than 3 students into Oxbridge a year? Yes
    Who's the richest person at your school? Haha, I'm not sure! There are a couple of veerrryyy well-off people, but many people who get EMA as well.
    Are your teachers really good? Some are amazing, others are rubbish.
    Do you ever wish you went to a state school? Hmm... sometimes, because my parents would be able to afford nicer things at home, but then again, I absolutely love the school I'm at, and wouldn't want to move for the world.
    Does "affirmative action" by universities irritate you? What's affirmative action?o_O
    Are you posh? I wouldn't say so.
    Do you play a musical instrument to grade 8? Nope, but I play 2 to Grade 7 :p:
    Do you row? No.

Hope I helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophie_10)
    all the members of the bullingdon club went to eton.
    So I'm right then - it's a university.

ReputationRep:
    How good is your private school? It's not Eton (for one, there are no boys there), but it's not bad, either.
    Does anybody board? No
    Are there loads of Asians? No
    Do you have beautiful grounds? Not really.
    Are you considered thick if you're getting B's at A Level? Not really, but a B was disappointing in my peer group.
    Do you where a suit in sixth form? Yes. Wear.
    Do you get pushed into applying into Oxbridge? No.
    Do you get more than 3 students into Oxbridge a year? Yes.
    Who's the richest person at your school? Upper middle class and the odd footballer's kid is about as exciting as it gets.
    Are your teachers really good? Yes.
    Do you ever wish you went to a state school? No.
    Does "affirmative action" by universities irritate you? Not at all.
    Are you posh? Definitely not.
    Do you play a musical instrument to grade 8? No.
    Do you row? Nope. although I know people who do, then again I'm not at school anymore.

When you say "private school", you really mean "public school". Private schools are, on the whole, pretty ordinary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electriic_ink)
    So I'm right then - it's a university.
    haha! :yes: point!

ReputationRep:
    I imagine it's just look a normal school, but with the chav ***** removed and replaced with posh *****

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised this thread hasn't descended in the usual TSR behaviour of bashing those who go to private school ¬_¬

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adam_Smithers)
    How good is your private school? I've always longed to go! Does anybody board? Are there loads of Asians? Do you have beautiful grounds? Are you considered thick if you're getting B's at A Level? Do you where a suit in sixth form? Do you get pushed into applying into Oxbridge? Do you get more than 3 students into Oxbridge a year? Who's the richest person at your school? Are your teachers really good? Do you ever wish you went to a state school? Does "affirmative action" by universities irritate you? Are you posh? Do you play a musical instrument to grade 8? Do you row?

Thanks.
    1. Our private school is quite good, i like it
    2. No one boards
    3. Nah, not a lot of asians
    4. We're near the center, so not the largest grounds, but its really old and castle like so we have tourists thinking its Edinburgh Castle :rofl:
    5. Nah not really, but loads of people get good highers, i think the average is 4.5 A's at highers per person
    6. No suit
    7. Not really
    8. :yes:
    9. JK Rowlings daughter goes to our school, and the children of a famous artist......
    10. There are some absolutely amazing teachers, and then some crap ones as well
    11. Nah, i like my school and my friends
    12. What is "affirmative action" but im guessing yes, yes it does
    13. Am i posh, define posh?
    14. No
    15. No

ReputationRep:
    FFS. I've been to both private (admittedly a small, non-selective, cheap one) and state schools, I couldn't tell the difference between them.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.