Turn on thread page Beta

LSE applicants! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hmm...from being a former student (although not in Government), I'd say the standard is very high. I think 3A's ought to be fairly comfortable for any aspiring candidate. Strange though, I've known very many exceptional students being rejected, others seemingly 'ordinary' being accepted. Question is: do you feeeel lucky?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamaL)
    if u got a letter from lse before jan 15th then be sure its gonna say "i am sorry ......"

They normally give offers around feb/march
    I know you probably mean conditional offers, but they've already started giving out rejections and unconditionals.

ReputationRep:
    Crikey, they've started rejecting already? How many days/weeks/months after you apply will you recieve a rejection?

ReputationRep:
    i love that LSE doesn't necessarily go for the straight-A student. i got in with fairly unspectacular predicted grades and i'd like to think it's because they saw potential in my personal statement (where i waxed lyrical about my interest in the social sciences).

in reality, maybe they just needed more state pupils to reach some government target.

ReputationRep:
    Really? What did you apply for and what were your predicted grades, if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    i read law at lse. i think my predicted grades (this was under the "old" system) were A A/B B/A (i did get all As in the end, but since i was rather lazy throughout my time at school, the lower predicted grades were fair enough).

i'm curious... do any students apply to lse because it is known to be more "left-wing" and liberal? or has that image of lse totally died out now?

ReputationRep:
    Lyd, do you know anybody from the Goverment department, and what grades did they get?

And that's one of the reasons why I like LSE, because of that image!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hades)
    Lyd, do you know anybody from the Goverment department, and what grades did they get?

And that's one of the reasons why I like LSE, because of that image!

I was a student on International Relations. That image of LSE is laughable, it's just due to influential people like Harold Laski and the 60's movement. Also, do note, Von Hayek was at the LSE too, and he's an academic from whom Thatcher claims to have drawn inspiration.

The university is *the* place for aspiring Investement Bankers and Corporate Lawyers. I have never seen so many, aside from the obvious (i.e. Business Schools) I don't think there's a greater concentration of 'corporate wannabes' anywhere else in the UK. Even (some of) the people that are 'left wingers', they're just students with too much time...here I vividly recall a discussion I had with a member of some Marxist group.

M- Ahh want to join our society?

JS - No, although I agree with much of the Marxist critique, I'm not an adherent, particularly on the prescriptive element

M- Ohh...don't worry just come along, heyyyy, *we* don't put this thing on our CV's when we're applying to JP Morgan, you know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hades)
    Crikey, they've started rejecting already? How many days/weeks/months after you apply will you recieve a rejection?
    I don't know, but I doubt there's a set amount of time.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.