Turn on thread page Beta

Its time to admit that I have OCD and may need some help watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, well its only recently occurred to me that I need to start admitting to myself and those around me that I have OCD. Its something that has always been there since I was about 11-12 years old, now I'm 20.

It started off small, (eg all my pencils in my pencil case were put the same way and I'd worry if they weren't, certain objects had to be placed in a different way or touched a few times to make me feel ok, etc etc) and I seemed to grow out of compulsions like that but then it moved onto checking behaviours when I got to about 14-15 and its pretty much what my OCD is based on now.

I study psychology and I'm pretty sure that I actually couldn't be diagnosed with OCD because I don't spend the certain amount of time checking each day (its around 5-15 minutes) but its really starting to get to me. I can't leave the house at all without making sure the taps are all off, the oven and hob are off, the door is locked, the plug for the kettle and toaster are off, my phone charger plug is off, my hair dryer is off, my straighteners are off etc etc and its the same routine everytime I leave the house.

I've suffered for years without saying anything because I just thought it would go away but I just wonder if one day in the future I'll ever be able to leave the house without checking anything obsessively/compulsively? I was just wondering if anyone else is or has been in a similar situation? What help is out there?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    At least you're not in danger of electrical fires? :dontknow:

Have you actually been to your GP?

ReputationRep:
    Why not try one day without checking things and making sure everything is off and see how it goes...?
    If it really bothers you then go to your GP, tell him you think you have OCD and hopefully he will refer you to someone who can give you the help you need.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, i was in a similar situation. I know how you feel, like, if everythings not in this place, you feel really uptight and can't concentrate until you've put it right.
    When i was about, 10 or 11, i started having panic attacks convincing myself i couldn't breathe and because i was so scared that something was wrong with me, i ended up with OCD, e.g. "you have to touch that wall this amount of times or you'll die" or "you have to go and check that switch is off (even though i KNEW it was) or you'll die/your parents will be harmed" etc. It sounds melodramatic, but it really was awful.
    THEN i used to have this ridiculous routine i had to do every single night which took about 20 mins, "or something bad would happen". It was absolutely absurd but i was totally taken in by it and did that routine for ages.
    Until, i just thought, well this has to stop its stressing me out. I went to the doctors for a check up, nothing was wrong with me. So i thought well nothings wrong with me, so nothings gonna happen, regardless of whether i touch that wall or check the back doors shut a zilion times.
    I went to the doctor and they recommended help but eventually i just stopped it by myself, it took a while but i just kept not giving in and its basically all gone now!!
    I'd suggest just saying, no, i know my straighteners are off, i know that plug is switched off, so i'm just going to walk out of the house and NOT keep checking.
    Theres a difference between having OCD and being cautious and careful, so yeah. It can be really annoying cos people used to think i was totally mental doing all these ridiculous things. But i got through it just by thinking other things. My ocd kinda came out of my panic attacks and stuff so maybe theres something else going on in your life thats making you anxious? Just a thought.

If this doesn't work, go to your GP.
    Sorry for the long and slightly uneccessary story, i just thought i'd demonstrate that i had it too and yeah i understand 100%

ReputationRep:
    If you only check check each iteam once and it takes you only about 10-15 minutes to perform this routine than you are unlikely (as you said yourself) to fulfill criteria for OCD diagnosis. However the nature of your rituals is only one part of the diagnosis. The other one is how those behaviours are effecting your daily life.
    If this is resulting in a lot of anxiaty and interfering with your life than it is deffinitly worth talking to your GP and asking if they can offer any help. You may also consider contacting university as they may have counselling avaiable to students.

I have the same 'problem'. The severity fluctuates. Usualy there are just a few things that I like to check before I leave my house and I am not particulary bothered if I don't. I only check if I am going to be away for a longer period of time. Occassionaly the behaviour escalates and I do some silly things. For example I sometimes get on the bus on my way to work and than I have to get off and get back home to double check that I have locked the door properly. I know I will be late as a result but if I don't do it I will worry all day. I cope with this 'problem' by not making a big deal out of it. If I have to check I have to check. Than I just get on with my day and don't think about it again.

ReputationRep:
    go to your GP if your that bothered.
    but i know loads of people with similar things

ReputationRep:
    go see your GP.

ReputationRep:
    I used to be like this - I'd be lying in bed at night and I'd suddenly get these random urges that I had to do something, really stupid things like touching the table in my room, and I was convinced if I didn't do it then something bad would happen. I'm also very fussy about change - I can't handle big changes (which could be simple for some people) and I get panic attacks when it isn't right. I also have to check the door is locked, even though I know it is. I'll come out of the house and lock the door, get into the car and then have to get out and go and check the door, even though I know I locked it. Over time I've somehow managed to convince myself that nothing bad will happen, and I don't have to do these things anymore - although it's not easy, it is possible to overcome these things. It hasn't happened for a while now, and I don't panic quite so much when changes occur. I got through it with willpower and it is possible, but if you're really concerned you should see your GP. Good luck.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Go to your GP and explain the situation, then they will be able to suggestion what help you need, if any.

You could also see your university's counselling service, as they may know how you could access support as well.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there. Im 20 next Saturday and Ive had OCD since i was about 13 at least. i was only diagnosed at age 17 when it became so bad that i had real problems at school and also had massive difficulty leaving the house.
    I went on medication for a period of time and and went through a very low period of my life . im off it now, and no longer see a mental health dr. i wouldnt really recommend medication due to side effects.

it may be wise for you to see a gp or mental health dr for a formal diagnosis if you want.

If you want any more info about ocd/dealing with it, feel free to PM me.

ReputationRep:
    I have OCd but it's more hair pulling than anything. I'm closer to stopping than I've ever been. It got worse when I was bullied but it was making me stressed that because of it my hair wouldn't grow long and that everyone thought I was a boy because of it or ask if I had chemo (place where I went too kids weren't exactly nice about it either).

You just have to learn to not think about it occupy yourself some otherway and let it go, let the stress not get to you. It takes a long time and believe me it will take awhile to get over it completely.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 10, 2009
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.