Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    2 / 3 weeks into 1st year

totally wrong degree

what are the prospects of being transferred to another course within the same university?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know.

(post in the university discussion, stating the university and course?)

ReputationRep:
    It's only 2 weeks into the course. Give it a chance.

What are you studying and where?

ReputationRep:
    I'm at UWS, doing a sports degree, are transfers unheard of in university?

Please note I am asking out of interest for the time being and am not absolutely desperate to leave, i just feel I have stronger skills to apply to different courses in which I would have more interest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VivaLaVida47)

Please note I am asking out of interest for the time being and am not absolutely desperate to leave, i just feel I have stronger skills to apply to different courses in which I would have more interest
    You're not very specific, are you? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scottish_Klams)
    You're not very specific, are you? :rolleyes:
    do I need to be? My query was regarding a transfer rather than discussing my choices of subject

ReputationRep:
    do I need to be? My query was regarding a transfer rather than discussing my choices of subject
    And how do you expect to receive assistance? I could say...my internet browser isn't working. Help me please? Useless, isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scottish_Klams)
    And how do you expect to receive assistance? I could say...my internet browser isn't working. Help me please? Useless, isn't it?
    ARE TRANSFERS, IN GENERAL, HARD TO COME BY OR AM I STUCK

YES ... OR NO

i don't understand how I can ask any more simple as that? And with all due respect, an answer from someone that goes to uni would probably be more helpful

of course you can i did right at the start i know someone who transfered half way through and still got into second year:yes:

ReputationRep:
    ARE TRANSFERS, IN GENERAL, HARD TO COME BY OR AM I STUCK

YES ... OR NO

i don't understand how I can ask any more simple as that? And with all due respect, an answer from someone that goes to uni would probably be more helpful
    TRANSFERS ARE COMMON IN SOME SUBJECTS. ALL DEPENDS ON UNI. GOOD DAY SIR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indieboohoo)
    of course you can i did right at the start i know someone who transfered half way through and still got into second year:yes:
    thank you thats a great help, puts my mind at ease for the time being

ReputationRep:
    I'd say ask - it's certainly possible.
    I just got transfered to a different uni and different course and will be entering on the 3rd week of lectures. It just took half a dozen phonecalls and (will take) a few forms.
    And I've heard of people transfering within unis all the way through to the start of the 2nd year.
    Justfind the right people to ask, and they should all be more than happy to help you get onto the right course / uni - after all, it's in their best interests. The trickiest bit is getting into a uni to start with :P
    However, I would suggest you start making inquieries a.s.a.p. - like, preferably on Monday morning.
    Good luck ^_^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blobfishy)
    I'd say ask - it's certainly possible.
    I just got transfered to a different uni and different course and will be entering on the 3rd week of lectures. It just took half a dozen phonecalls and (will take) a few forms.
    And I've heard of people transfering within unis all the way through to the start of the 2nd year.
    Justfind the right people to ask, and they should all be more than happy to help you get onto the right course / uni - after all, it's in their best interests. The trickiest bit is getting into a uni to start with :P
    However, I would suggest you start making inquieries a.s.a.p. - like, preferably on Monday morning.
    Good luck ^_^
    Thanks alot man, sorry to ask but who would be the first person I call? General enquiries withing the uni?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks alot man, sorry to ask but who would be the first person I call? General enquiries withing the uni?
    If you're looking to transfer within your uni, I'd suggest talking to your tutor or head of subject. Even a lecturer would do, but if you have a personal tutor, they're probably the best person to talk to. They'll help you go through the options, and will either direct you to or get in contact with the head of the other subject you want to change to. Once you've got approval from both of them to change courses, you may have to go through some official proceedure.
    For people changing uni, I'd suggest talking to admissions and head of subject / school at the uni you want to change to in order to secure a place - make sure you've got somewhere to go. Once that's done, talk about withdrawing from your current course / uni. They might want to try and talk you out of it, or check it's right for you, or (like with me) they might just be happy to be weeding out people. Possibly before withdrawing though, you might want to sort out accomodation at the new uni so you've got somewhere to live too. And then of course you'll need to end your accomodation contract at your current uni.
    Hope that answers any possible qus, and I hope you manage to get changed to a better course for you.
    One word of warning though - it can take a while if they are similar courses. A friend of mine wants to be transfered between two very similar courses, and the uni is tryign to put it off 'till christmas. And someone at my previous uni was told to complete the first year and then be moved to the 2nd year of his new chosen course. If you really want to change soon, make that clear and be forceful.

ReputationRep:
    hey guys just thought I would let you all know i got the transfer all sorted - start tuesday thanks again for everyones advice

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.