Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Today for my school lunch I decided to go up the town (its near the school) and buy some things from the local TESCO - Marsbar and a bottle of water - Although upon selecting my goods i went to a check-out but was told by a security guard that had to use a self serve, these were full of other students from my school and the que was very long (maybe 15 -20 pupils) . Another 5 or so checkouts were on some empty some with one person at them . I asked the security guard why? a very formal question and he failed to give a viable reason - "Beacuase you have to", "Just go over there", fairly aggressively if you ask me. So i joined the now longer line when i was near the front there was another tesco worker standing so again I asked "Excuse me, but why arent we allowed to use the other checkouts" a civil enough question but she also seemed to get more agressive, "Those checkouts are for our customers" she replied, i was very very shcoked. First of all were discriminated for being young and at school and now were not even being classed as customers. I stated that we were purchasing goods so were infact customers..She again got more aggressive towards me -"I you dont like it dont shop here its a store policy. Your headteacher knows of it","where exactly does it state this in the store" I replied "I see no signs or notices stating that we must use selfserve becuase were school pupils". After which she basicly replied "We could just ban you all", By this time i was in the front of the que bought my goods and left.

Upon enquiring to the Headteacher she had no knowlegde of this "policy".

So what shold i do i feel very upset/annoied that because im at school i cant use a checkout, im being discriminated against.

Anyone have any ideas of what i should do ? i would say boycott but i dont think id get many followers

ReputationRep:
    burn it to the ground.

ReputationRep:
    Watchdog!

ReputationRep:
    Weird. I think the shops round me would be more likely to do the opposite to try and prevent too much shoplifting.

ReputationRep:
    OP Dont **** with Tesco

ReputationRep:
    RIOT!!!! When I was at school and went to tesco(It's a big tesco as well!) only 5 pupils were aloud in at one time, you must carry a basket and leave your bag at the front!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Write to the manager detailing what happened (including the names of the staff members if you know them) and get as many people from the school to sign it as possible.
    Tell them you want a proper explanation of their 'policy'.

ReputationRep:
    Hahahahaha, that'll teach you for shopping at Tesco won't it. Maybe if you supported the towns local businesses this wouldn't happen!!

(Original post by adamrules247)
    Hahahahaha, that'll teach you for shopping at Tesco won't it. Maybe if you supported the towns local businesses this wouldn't happen!!
    The local ones are the worst. I once went in to get a magazine and a bottle of water. Instead, I ended up with a lecture on how magazines (it happened to be Heat :o:) were ruining and littering the minds of the youth and how we've become such a consumer society that we're paying for water that I could get from a tap.

Needless to say, I made a fast walk for the door.. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    The local ones are the worst. I once went in to get a magazine and a bottle of water. Instead, I ended up with a lecture on how magazines (it happened to be Heat :o:) were ruining and littering the minds of the youth and how we've become such a consumer society that we're paying for water that I could get from a tap.

But that's what sets The News Agent apart from the faceless, souless corp which is Tesco. It's all about the personal touch and by the sounds it was probably more of a passing comment. Plussss it does litter your mind.

ReputationRep:

Thats an interesting sales technique.

(Original post by adamrules247)
    But that's what sets The News Agent apart from the faceless, souless corp which is Tesco. It's all about the personal touch and by the sounds it was probably more of a passing comment. Plussss it does litter your mind.
    But I'm not quite sure if he realised, but his passing comment was giving the impression he didn't want me to be purchasing said items and therefore giving me no reason to be in his little store?

Either way, I for one wont be shopping in there again. I think I'll stick to the soulless corp. that is Tesco :cool:

It's not discrimination, just bad business.

They won't 'ban you all' because from your description pupils are an easy source of revenue at lunch time.

Don't complain to the store manager but someone higher perhaps a regional head.

Also I am completely confused by your exchange with the woman. How are you not a customer??

ReputationRep:
    Tesco is the worst. I try not to shop there if I can help it.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    But I'm not quite sure if he realised, but his passing comment was giving the impression he didn't want me to be purchasing said items and therefore giving me no reason to be in his little store?

Either way, I for one wont be shopping in there again. I think I'll stick to the soulless corp. that is Tesco :cool:
    In a town near my home a girl went into an international food shop for a bottle of water and was told they don't serve English people :eek:

(Original post by ~ Mandy ~)
    In a town near my home a girl went into an international food shop for a bottle of water and was told they don't serve English people :eek:
    :lolwut:

I wonder if it was special water? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sports Racer)
    It's not discrimination, just bad business.

They won't 'ban you all' because from your description pupils are an easy source of revenue at lunch time.

Don't complain to the store manager but someone higher perhaps a regional head.

Also I am completely confused by your exchange with the woman. How are you not a customer??
    I just dont see it fair how i cant use a certain till cause im at school - isnt it a Tesco policy to open a new till if theres a que bigger than 3 or something?

The "Im not a customer" confused me aswell she still didnt give me a proper explaination ill just go in next time and if asked to move from the till just refuse - the security guard cant touch me or ill just phone the police for an assult :p: good old you cant touch me laws lol

Write a letter of complaint to head office specifically mentioning certain members of staff and saying you'll go to the press about it.

You'll get vouchers at the very least :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I might just try the letter idea forgot the dammed names though

ReputationRep:
    School kids frequently get the short end of the stick when it comes to matters like these. It pisses me off to no end to see people annoyed about large queues of school-kids.

The Costa next to our school refuses to serve kids during non-break times (Lunchtime and Interval) because they're getting 'overwhelmed'. It's perhaps the thinnest argument I've ever heard. My chief response would probably be, "if you're getting overwhelmed by forty-or-so school kids once a day, you really ought to be fired for incompetence".

I get a lot of free periods due to my Advanced Highers. Silly policies.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.