What to do first!? Watch

gibson86
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I'm jacking in in my course due to a change of circumstances back home, I don't know who to speak to first, my halls, my uni, student finance. Is there an order I should go with or can anyone give any advice?

Cheers
sandettielightvessel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You will need to notify them all. Be aware, however, that if you pack in it will use up the 1 year "safety net" of extra funding for the future, unless you're leaving for 'compelling personal reasons'. You will also need to bear in mind that you may be required to repay grants etc, and you may be required to pay the full cost of your halls for the rest of the a/c year.
ASCIIcipher
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by gibson86)
I'm jacking in in my course due to a change of circumstances back home, I don't know who to speak to first, my halls, my uni, student finance. Is there an order I should go with or can anyone give any advice?

Cheers
1. Give notice to your halls ASAP (so you pay for as little rent as possible)
2. Speak to your course tutor about your problem
3. Speak to a counsellor at your student welfare/student services and ask their advice
4. Finally send a CO1 form to Student Finance after you have officially withdrawn from uni

If you possibly can I would advise you to stick it out until the end of term so you won't have to pay back much money to the SLC

If you leave now you will be asked to repay most of your student finance back AND you will probably have to pay the rest of this term's rent. Double whammy of debt that I doubt that you want.

On the other hand, you will become liable for tuition fees loan to be paid if you stay the whole term.

You have to ask your uni how much fees they will charge you if you leave now and how much they will charge you if you leave after 1 December (the official date where fee loans will be paid to the uni on your behalf) and this is where the student welfare will probably be the most use to you in deciding when to leave.

Also, if you can get evidence (say from a uni counsellor) that you are leaving due to strong 'compelling personal reasons' you may be able to get the safety net of your 'additional year of funding' back in case you need it in the future
gibson86
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Thanks for your reply.

Why would I have to pay back less to the SLC if I stay for longer? How does that work? Also how would it affect the rent? I know the halls have not taken the money for the first year out yet as it hasn't come into my account.

Many thanks
ASCIIcipher
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by gibson86)
Thanks for your reply.

Why would I have to pay back less to the SLC if I stay for longer? How does that work? Also how would it affect the rent? I know the halls have not taken the money for the first year out yet as it hasn't come into my account.

Many thanks
The date you leave is used to work out how much loan and grant you are entitled to keep and then the SLC ask for the rest back

If you complete the whole term you will be able to keep nearly all of the money you have already been paid for term one.

If you leave now, you will have to pay back most of the money you have been paid for term one.

You have probably already signed a contract for the accommodation so no matter when you leave you will probably have to pay your uni accommodation fees for the whole of term one.

I know of a student who told the uni they were leaving but didn't tell the accommodation office (they assumed the uni would do that for them) and got stitched up having to pay rent for terms one and two. You definitely don't want that to happen

The most important thing you can do tomorrow is speak to student services/student welfare and find out what your uni's policy is if you leave now - i.e. will they charge you tuition fees or not and if so how much
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (204)
43.31%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (146)
31%
I don't have an opinion (121)
25.69%

Watched Threads