Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know Japan has already created robots (or androids rather) that look human, feel human and can mimic human mental capacities, e.g. engage in conversation, spatial awareness, neural sensitivity, etc but I doubt that's the most cutting edge technology in existence today. Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    CERN I would say, no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    What a ridiculous question.
    Technology does not progress in a linear fashion towards one single eventual outcome.

Be more specific? Advanced in terms of what.
    I think you're misinterpreting where I'm coming from. I mean technologically advanced in the sense that my laptop is of a greater degree of technological complexity and utility than my toaster.

ReputationRep:
    But if you've just after the most amazingly complex machine, what have robots got to do with it? They're just a bunch of motors etc.

I'm guessing that whatever the densest IC chip is around probably fits the bill best, at least if you want to limit the defininition to just one object rather than a group of them working together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom)
    But if you've just after the most amazingly complex machine, what have robots got to do with it? They're just a bunch of motors etc.

I'm guessing that whatever the densest IC chip is around probably fits the bill best, at least if you want to limit the definition to just one object rather than a group of them working together.
    IC chip? as in a memory chip? the robots I'm talking about are MUCH more than just a collection of motors and gears, in fact I'm pretty sure they use IC chips themselves

any ideas on what the most technologically complex collective machine is? (collective as in composed of multiple parts)

An automated factory of some kind; it would be like one massive robot :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    the techno-weasel.

ReputationRep:
    I'm assuming a particle accelerator must be up there, right? I don't know too much about it though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HappinessHappening)
    I'm assuming a particle accelerator must be up there, right? I don't know too much about it though.

Holy f***, I dont even want to begin to imagine what it takes to build one of these D:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)

Holy f***, I dont even want to begin to imagine what it takes to build one of these D:
    Lol, I know! They're amazing. You've got to wonder about the kinds of minds that are behind this too; pure genius really.

ReputationRep:
    Whatever the US government has in their super secret labs and caves :ninja:

They do say that governments are about 10 years ahead of what technology is available to people...

ReputationRep:
    The paperclip, you think your papers are gonna move around.... but no! the clip hold them in place! It's a miracle!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    Whatever the US government has in their super secret labs and caves :ninja:

They do say that governments are about 10 years ahead of what technology is available to people...
    yeah, but then what's the height of consumer technology - a blackberry? :P

ReputationRep:
    Youtube.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, but then what's the height of consumer technology - a blackberry? :P
    Blackberry are cool ok...don't diss them!

I've never actively gone looking for the best technology in the world available to consumers nor will I ever try to...I'm sure it would be something cool though.

ReputationRep:
    Well, that is relative. But if you were to ask which technologies are going to drive forward progress in the next decade, I'd say medical nanotechnology, genetic modification, cybernetic augmentation, and autonomous robotics.

ReputationRep:
    I know Japan has already created robots (or androids rather) that look human, feel human and can mimic human mental capacities, e.g. engage in conversation, spatial awareness, neural sensitivity, etc but I doubt that's the most cutting edge technology in existence today. Any ideas?
    Your mum.

She's a fembot.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    try the intiall testing of nanoprobes, antimatter production, cybernectics etc....

ReputationRep:

Mechano.

Lots and lots of Mechano.

ReputationRep:

Well compared to a bucket and brush with you on your knees scrubbing, a mop is technologically advanced.

Human brain is pretty advanced, can draw conclusions with limited data, can jump entire processes to arrive at the right answer (by looking and seeing that square peg won't fit in round hole without trying it) and tends to learn quickly.

There's an X2 prototype combat knife, can cut through damn near anything (including walls for entry to facilities).

Cutting edge technology is one of those things, either created in a lab or created by someone in their shed. Only usually hear about them after publication, which can be years after creation of the cutting edge technology involved.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.