Turn on thread page Beta

girls chatting you up then telling you they have a bf? watch

Announcements

ok, this is strange but in college im getting some attention from a few girls, i like to think im good looking (this is the internet, you wont believe me etc so lets say i am for sake of argument) so i can usually tell when a girl fancies me (actually im very sure), so on several occasions i blantantly get chat up by girls who then tell me/or its found that they have a boyfriend. Im confused :confused:

Before you say they dont fancy me, lets assume i know for a fact they do, they blantantly fancy me then at one strange point they slip into conversation about their bf, its retarded. Another girl and her friend chat me up and one of them has a boyfriend the other one im not sure about.

Whats up with this? Do girls do this for attention? to make me feel like they're more precious or do they want to cheat?? guys any help? any girls brave enough to explain?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they just want friendship? :p:
    Maybe they say it to make you jealous?
    Maybe their relationship is fictional/or on the verge of ending?

I guess you'll just have to ask them one day! Personally I don't see the point in flirting with a guy unless you are actually available and have specific intentions with them, but I suppose some girls just love the attention!

ReputationRep:
    When you say they chat you up, what do you mean? What do they actually say to you.

(Original post by randomgirl)
    Maybe they just want friendship? :p:
    Maybe they say it to make you jealous?
    Maybe their relationship is fictional/or on the verge of ending?

I guess you'll just have to ask them one day! Personally I don't see the point in flirting with a guy unless you are actually available and have specific intentions with them, but I suppose some girls just love the attention!
    imo your spot on. this particular girl always tried approaching me who at that time i was a complete stranger, she went to my class. Let me tell you im not the kind of guy you would approach for friendship if your a girl, im just not that kind of guy. She always says hi, she then wanted to walk around with me at break then she slips in the convo about her bf, at the same time she is ALWAYS trying to initiate contact, even though i may seem stand off ish which i naturally am.

(Original post by Antonia87)
    When you say they chat you up, what do you mean? What do they actually say to you.
    Approach me, ask me questions, i can easily read their faces- the way they blush the fact they ask random questions out of nowhere, and those 2 girls i was talking about were sitting behind me (and i can clearly hear what they were saying), one of them started talking to me asking me questions then i overheard the other one say "ask him out, tell him to come out with us at break", and yeah i just met them for 5 mins.

But its the girl/girls that approached me and wanted to chat on a personal level in private (not in class, just us two) and then slipped in the convo about their bf thats got me confused, it just happened again, firstly i get approached by a girl who i know fancies me and has been eyeing me who then starts talking to me, then slips in the convo about her bf :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Approach me, ask me questions, i can easily read their faces- the way they blush the fact they ask random questions out of nowhere, and those 2 girls i was talking about were sitting behind me (and i can clearly hear what they were saying), one of them started talking to me asking me questions then i overheard the other one say "ask him out, tell him to come out with us at break", and yeah i just met them for 5 mins.

But its the girl/girls that approached me and wanted to chat on a personal level in private (not in class, just us two) and then slipped in the convo about their bf thats got me confused, it just happened again, firstly i get approached by a girl who i know fancies me and has been eyeing me who then starts talking to me, then slips in the convo about her bf :confused:
    Maybe, they like you initially - looks, first impressions etc.

But maybe its something you do/say when their close to you which puts them off..

Maybe its cos you smell bad (just kidding)

(Original post by Johnthebaptist1)
    Maybe, they like you initially - looks, first impressions etc.

But maybe its something you do/say when their close to you which puts them off..

Maybe its cos you smell bad (just kidding)
    but why would they approach me if they already have a bf? and i see that girl most days of the week and she is always trying to talk to me so that rules out the me putting them off theory.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's brilliant, because they presume that you actually give a damn about them.

(Original post by Sithius)
    I think it's brilliant, because they presume you actually give a damn about them.
    Actually i stop talking to that one girl for 2 days because i was pissed off by the fact that she chat me up then keeps on mentioning her bf, and she initiates contact again THEN goes on about her bf's life, its getting annoying, and yeah i dont give a damn, but what strange logic

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they just like to flirt sometimes?
    Maybe you have got it wrong about them fancying you and they are just friendly people?

Either way going into a huff because they mention their boyfriends is odd behaviour on your part.

ReputationRep:
    You post like that weird guy....rajandkwamali or something.

ReputationRep:
    they have a boyfriend and they fancy you as well...girls can like more than one person at a time, back up? haha

ReputationRep:
    dude, most of the time a girl says she has a boyfriend it's either
    a)she's not interested
    b)she's winding you up to see your response
    c)She actually does (Rarely the case)
    Most of the time it'll be a or b, b alot of the time. If she does mention she has a boyfriend, you could say
    "Oh great, he can make us breakfast in bed" in a jokey way
    or "I have a pet dog. Do you always like to say random stuff?"
    Just show you're not affected by what she says

ReputationRep:
    Playing hard-to-get.
    it's a bit pathetic, really. :/

ReputationRep:
    Surprise - people can be attracted to more than one person at a time but since they have a boyfriend, they can't take it further at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Probably in some cases a **** test. They just wanna gauge your response. Best thing to do is ignore it or put on a concerned look and say 'Hows that working out for ya?'

ReputationRep:
    I know this is not what you're looking for, but maybe they actually DON'T fancy you. Or if they do, I guess they're drawn to you because of your supposedly amazing looks and can't help it, even though they know that they can't do anything because of the boyfriend.

(Original post by Abhead)
    Maybe they just like to flirt sometimes?
    Maybe you have got it wrong about them fancying you and they are just friendly people?

Either way going into a huff because they mention their boyfriends is odd behaviour on your part.
    Yeah they continously flirt, are always wanting to initiate contact etc.
    And when they say they have a bf, its just retarded and EXACTLY the right moment to go into a "huff" like you said, going into a huff was invented for this situation.

that just made me laugh, they're just being friendly? i highly doubt it :yes:
    (Original post by maxfire)
    Playing hard-to-get.
    it's a bit pathetic, really. :/
    :yes:

(Original post by fox_the_fix)
    Probably in some cases a **** test. They just wanna gauge your response. Best thing to do is ignore it or put on a concerned look and say 'Hows that working out for ya?'
    Yeah, im not going to talk to them, its weirding me out, im going to stop giving them attention.

but i know they fancy me and are talking the opportunity to talk but they have a bf so they carry on chatting me up, but one of them said she had a bf for like 2 weeks, hmmmm.

(Original post by Jelkin)
    I know this is not what you're looking for, but maybe they actually DON'T fancy you. Or if they do, I guess they're drawn to you because of your supposedly amazing looks and can't help it, even though they know that they can't do anything because of the boyfriend.
    They fancy me :yes: and i didnt say "amazingly good looks" i knew saying you were good looking would get some hate on this forum but lets just say in theory . I just think its really immature, and is a good way to annoy someone, but why would i want to get with a girl who flirts/chats up other guys and has a bf anyway?

ReputationRep:
    It's a well observed occurrence that members of both sexes flirt, and chat each other up, in spite of any relationships that would prohibit any furthering of such events.
    Whilst I find this disturbing, I also see its inevitability. People are inherently insecure, and as such will always seek further validation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    They fancy me :yes: and i didnt say "amazingly good looks" i knew saying you were good looking would get some hate on this forum but lets just say in theory . I just think its really immature, and is a good way to annoy someone, but why would i want to get with a girl who flirts/chats up other guys and has a bf anyway?
    I didn't mean to hate, but in my experience guys are TERRIBLE at knowing how attractive they are to women or how women feel about them! :p: BUT, say you are right - I'm sure, as others have said, that it's because the girls in question find you attractive, and they like having the validation of thinking perhaps you like them as well. I doubt many girls would actually lie about having a boyfriend to piss you off or make you "more interested", as that's a really stupid method to get guys (like you point out above). But maybe I am overestimating my sex somewhat. I hope not.

P.S. If you're really that hot, maybe they're wondering if they really want to be with their boyfriends and are gauging if you'd be interested ...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 11, 2009
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.