The Student Room Group

Can you tell how stupid someone is from their name?

On TSR, I always thought this. Like, if someone has things that aren't letters in their name, they tend to be morons, and if they even have characters that aren't on the keyboard (copyright symbols, etc), it's a certainty. But what of real people?

Why do I ask? I got one of those chain emails today, which as always ended with a command to put your name if you agree with it ("murder is bad", "drink-driving isn't good", etc). The people who sign these aren't usually the brightest either. Looking at the sorts who did:

1. Adam Ross Kalesperis
2. Deanne Perozzi
3. Raphal Nash
4. Courtney Easter
5. James Chandler.
6. Tracy Lamont
7. Traci Arbisi
8. Faye Hollenbeck
9. Devin E. Davis
10. Starla Shaver
11. Theresa Brehm
12. Lisa Brehm
13. Courtney Barnett
14. Erika Hurst
15. Kym Moschgat

And so on for about another 500.

Kym? Erika? Deanne? I have to say that personally, I have never met anyone intelligent with "Traci" as a name. So are these people idiots, or just American?

Not that anyone should ever be judged by names, or anything.

Scroll to see replies

rofl.

maybe "tanya" could sign there too
Reply 2
Well, Starla doesn't sound like the most intelligent name in the world. Although, to be fair, it is quite American, so I guess we're not used to it...?
Maybe it's just both.

(And yes, some names do make the person sound pretty stupid. But it's only about 60% chance that they actually are.)
2 5 +
So are these people idiots, or just American?

Both? The two are certainly not mutually exclusive.

Or fictional names of people to make you feel better about signing whatever petition happens to be being peddled at any particular moment.
Reply 4
You can tell how stupid the parents were. If stupidity is passed on somehow in genes, then maybe...
The people who write in a mixture of upper and lower case drive me insane! And, on the whole, they don't seem to be of the highest intelligence ever! Why does it have to be MeLiSsA and not just Melissa for example?

Lou
xxx
Reply 6
Things that aren't letters in names? By names do you mean.. screen names, 2+2=5? :wink:
LOL I know what u mean 2+2. Whenever the name 'Tracey' or 'Sharon' is mentioned I imagine a completely thick, common Vicky Pollard type. It's really unfair because you can't help the name you get! But American names often sound that way; probably, as Mockel said, because we aren't used to them? I don't know, but your post made me laugh :smile:
Reply 8
loralala
Things that aren't letters in names? By names do you mean.. screen names, 2+2=5? :wink:

Hah, I was just about to say that.
loralala

The same thing came into my head :smile:
Reply 10
loralala

Yes. :smile:
2 5 +
On TSR, I always thought this. Like, if someone has things that aren't letters in their name, they tend to be morons, and if they even have characters that aren't on the keyboard (copyright symbols, etc), it's a certainty. But what of real people?

Why do I ask? I got one of those chain emails today, which as always ended with a command to put your name if you agree with it ("murder is bad", "drink-driving isn't good", etc). The people who sign these aren't usually the brightest either. Looking at the sorts who did:

And so on for about another 500.

Kym? Erika? Deanne? I have to say that personally, I have never met anyone intelligent with "Traci" as a name. So are these people idiots, or just American?

Not that anyone should ever be judged by names, or anything.

american names...but i resent the implication :rolleyes:
Reply 12
My friend was called Traci. She put a pencil so far into her ear in primary school that she had to go to the local hospital.
not sure about the people themselves, but you can tell a lot about their parents :frown:
Reply 14
loralala
My friend was called Traci. She put a pencil so far into her ear in primary school that she had to go to the local hospital.

Dammit, I should use my reputation points for good. I would've saved them and put them on that post. :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 15
xBeLLax

oi

get back to revision
xBeLLax

I thought you were gone... to revise :confused:
:eek: :mad:
sqa7
oi

get back to revision

easy exams tommorrow, thanks though :smile: .

I hate it when parents try to make their child's name unique by using a ridiculous spelling. I used to know a Christopfir :rolleyes:
Reply 18
The girl behind the reception desk the other day was called "Chervaun."
glance
The girl behind the reception desk the other day was called "Chervaun."

maybe it's an ethnic name?

Latest

Trending

Trending