Turn on thread page Beta

Can you tell how stupid someone is from their name? watch

ReputationRep:
    In Mexico, when a huge tv novel hit is over, and ppl have kids, they name the kids after a character in the novel!
    I must agree, some names DO sound stupid, the typical american names. I cant think of one right now, but i'll get back to you on that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~MOi~)
    In Mexico, when a huge tv novel hit is over, and ppl have kids, they name the kids after a character in the novel!
    yep, like when people try to give english/american names here, and then they pronounce it wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
    On TSR, I always thought this. Like, if someone has things that aren't letters in their name, they tend to be morons, and if they even have characters that aren't on the keyboard (copyright symbols, etc), it's a certainty. But what of real people?

Why do I ask? I got one of those chain emails today, which as always ended with a command to put your name if you agree with it ("murder is bad", "drink-driving isn't good", etc). The people who sign these aren't usually the brightest either. Looking at the sorts who did:

And so on for about another 500.

Kym? Erika? Deanne? I have to say that personally, I have never met anyone intelligent with "Traci" as a name. So are these people idiots, or just American?

Not that anyone should ever be judged by names, or anything.
    :rofl: Some of those sound made up, you know new chain letters aren't popular unless there's already 500 proud american patriots to have signed it... and : So are these people idiots, or just American? - kinda synonymous...

My satirical instructions on How to make a chain letter

ReputationRep:
    I always had a name theory that people with the same name could, for the most part, turn out similar. For example, people that share my name have often been described as being like me. Equally, in my experience, Claires have always been bubbly and girly, Racheals attractive and bright, Kevins a little odd, Amys bubbly but then either twisted or *****y.... But the ultimate name for seeing this, is people called Barry. Now I'm sorry if this is your name but... well, forget the but. If this is your name, I'm sorry. I'm really really sorry. No really. You couldn't help becoming who you are, it was all down to your name. No brains, no wit, no future. Really, I'm sorry. Have a nice life, even if the bars and the chain-link fence spoil the view.

ReputationRep:
    Like Dave Gorman?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenmuzz)
    Amys bubbly but then either twisted or *****y.....
    That is so true!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalie Lane)
    yep, like when people try to give english/american names here, and then they pronounce it wrong
    yes like Colin Powel (coo-lin) when it is Colin :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    Yeah it's sad. I don't agree.

But i agree that I can't help but think people with certain names sound thick. I go to a selective school and I don't know a single person called "Richard", "Hayley" (or Haley) or "Danielle". There's a huge number of Simons and Chrises though.

I don't want to sound prejudiced because I always avoid being prejudiced as much as possible... but it's certainly interesting.
    :eek: my name is Hayley! is that a thick persons name? I never thought it was..

ReputationRep:
    Matthew's an awesome name, if I say so myself.

ReputationRep:
    well with a name like ki-ki or fi-fi it is a certainity that their parents are probably chaves lol. need i say more.

ReputationRep:
    On TSR, I always thought this. Like, if someone has things that aren't letters in their name, they tend to be morons, and if they even have characters that aren't on the keyboard (copyright symbols, etc), it's a certainty. But what of real people?

Why do I ask? I got one of those chain emails today, which as always ended with a command to put your name if you agree with it ("murder is bad", "drink-driving isn't good", etc). The people who sign these aren't usually the brightest either. Looking at the sorts who did:

And so on for about another 500.

Kym? Erika? Deanne? I have to say that personally, I have never met anyone intelligent with "Traci" as a name. So are these people idiots, or just American?

Not that anyone should ever be judged by names, or anything.
    I dont think so, but it would seem that there are certain names......hmmmm, well lets say i know alot of ppl with similar names, and it would seems that alot of the times they are all smart or all *dont wanna say smthn mena* Not smart:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James)
    yes like Colin Powel (coo-lin) when it is Colin :confused:
    Being called Colin is a curse

Famous Colin's

Colin Montgomery - wearer of silly trousers

Colin, the idiot caretaker in the britass empire

Co-lin Powell, who can't say his own name

Colin, the guy from the fast show who tries to chat up girls at parties by wearing a luminous condom, turning off all the lights and wobbling it about

there are others.....i will remember....

EDIT - Colin, the guy from Love Actually who goes to America to get laid....

Think yourselves lucky, you could be called Colin.

You wonder why I abbreviate it to Col-C.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Fox)
    Matthew's an awesome name, if I say so myself.
    Seconded.

I tend to find it worse when people change their names, so Tracey becomes Traci and so on. And when people add their middle name to the first to make themselves look better, it never works.

ReputationRep:
    On TSR, I always thought this. Like, if someone has things that aren't letters in their name, they tend to be morons....
    A great beginning from someone whose name is " 2 + 2 = 5"! :rofl:

not that I think you're an idiot of course...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 17, 2005
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.