Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In my PoliSci class yesterday, we were talking about how more than 50% of American marriages end in divorce (and while I'm sure the figure is probably different for the UK, there's still an increasing trend globally). My teacher jokingly said "That's why, girls, you marry the first guy for money and the second for love..." but it stuck with me-What is it about society today that not only is divorce accepted (as it should be) but it's the norm?

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Because it's so easy to get one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xBeLLax)
    In my PoliSci class yesterday, we were talking about how more than 50% of American marriages end in divorce (and while I'm sure the figure is probably different for the UK, there's still an increasing trend globally). My teacher jokingly said "That's why, girls, you marry the first guy for money and the second for love..." but it stuck with me-What is it about society today that not only is divorce accepted (as it should be) but it's the norm?

What do you think?
    Its because women are now more educated and independent than they used to be.

ReputationRep:
    Also people spend mroe time together which leads to people get more bored of each others company

ReputationRep:

What do you think?
    Ermm...because men are b*stards?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC01)
    Its because women are now more educated and independent than they used to be.
    ...and that tears families apart?

ReputationRep:

What do you think?
    It's more affordable today, since both spouses tend to have jobs now--women, in particular, can afford to support themselves. Also, our cultural focus shifted from trying to do what is best for one's family and friends, to trying to do what is best for oneself.

ReputationRep:
    ...and that tears families apart?
    Well it means that women dont have to stick with their man to survive anymore, they have the choice to dump them/divorce them. If all of a sudden you give someone a choice that they did not have before, some are bound to choose the thing that they could not choose before. Im not saying its a bad thing that women are more educated and independent, but I do think thats the reason for a higher divorce rate.

ReputationRep:
    I think its due to a combination of reasons. Firstly, social attidues have changed in the past few decades, which means its seem as acceptable to break the cultural boundaries and have some independence, just like men. Also, because divorces are more easily available, there is less social stigma attached to the divorce settlement, which makes people look at divorce as another solution, rather than having to suffer empty-shell marriage for the sake of the children.

ReputationRep:
    Men and women centuries before used to be told by the church to try and avoid geting a divorce - I think its the same with some other religions aswell. I think now that "rule" has completely been forgotten. I think people nowadays also place others commitments on other things too much rather than on themselves and on their personal life. money money money.

ReputationRep:
    I completely agree with *starry_eyed_*.

The law regarding divorce has been relaxed several times over the last few decades, reflecting the changes in public opinion. Therefore it is now easier (from a legal perspective) to get divorced.

I.G.S.

ReputationRep:
    Divorce is easier than it used to be, there is less social stigma in divorce, people are more concerned about money than about family, social attitudes have changed...blah blah blah. That said, in the more religious parts of the UK divorce I would imagine is still frowned upon and is quite rare.

ReputationRep:
    Divorce is so common because people don't talk about things as much as they should.

ReputationRep:
    LC01 said:
    Well it means that women dont have to stick with their man to survive anymore, they have the choice to dump them/divorce them. If all of a sudden you give someone a choice that they did not have before, some are bound to choose the thing that they could not choose before. Im not saying its a bad thing that women are more educated and independent, but I do think thats the reason for a higher divorce rate.
    For once I agree with LC01. The increase in equality is an obvious reason for the increase in divorce and unsurprisingly these two factors coincide. I also emphasize that the increase in independence for women is a good thing. Other reasons are that there is now less stigma attached to divorce, it is easier to get divorced and that it is much more easy to marry today than it used to be.

ReputationRep:
    Its because people get married too easily. Sounds daft but as long as people fall for the cliché of "love", they will carry the mistaken belief that there is an individual 'destined' for them and that if they sign a grotty bit of paper they will join in happy matrimony for ever. Because (as some of you have said) social attitudes have changed and marriage hasn't, there is an uneasy balance which results in more divorces than there used to be- perhaps because people expect more, or are more self-indulgent, there are lots of reasons. The only way to end divorce is to end marriage, or shut up about it as there is nothing that can be done which isn't being done already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesecakebobby)
    Its because people get married too easily. Sounds daft but as long as people fall for the cliché of "love", they will carry the mistaken belief that there is an individual 'destined' for them and that if they sign a grotty bit of paper they will join in happy matrimony for ever. Because (as some of you have said) social attitudes have changed and marriage hasn't, there is an uneasy balance which results in more divorces than there used to be- perhaps because people expect more, or are more self-indulgent, there are lots of reasons. The only way to end divorce is to end marriage, or shut up about it as there is nothing that can be done which isn't being done already.
    People have always married too easily. Look back to the Victorian days when you would only see your future spouse in reserved public situations up until the day you married him (ok I may have been reading too much Bronte :p: ). Humans have always been rash - the difference is that in the past you had to live with your mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't women used to be more pressurised into getting married? Like quite far back very young girls were just shoved up with older men and probably got whacked if they argued about it.

I imagine now if you marry someone and realise that you don't really want to stay with them for the rest of your life you can just get a divorce without shame hanging over your head. And it won't damage your prospects of getting another husband/wife since it's so common now.

ReputationRep:
    Marrage just simply doesnt hold as much importance as it does nowadays.
    and having a child born out of wedlock isn't looked down on as much as it used to be. neither is a woman who is not married.
    therefor when people get married they realise that they don't have to stay and keep it together if they don't want to

the women being more independant thing is right. women now have a choice to live on there own. before they stayed at home cooks cleaned and looked after the kids. if they left home were would they go? they wouldn't remarry as i many men would of wanted that because she walked out on her last home.

now women have more control and can work for them selves and can survive with out men. and people got married an young as 14 ages ago.. mainly cause the people died so young.

ReputationRep:
    Basically it's because marriage is totally meaningless now in this country.

ReputationRep:
    Didnt you hear- labour won a third consecutive general election...... theres your answer........ :cool:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.