Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So my fellow Linguists, the time to collect our exam booklets has nearly arrived! I'm rather nervous TBH because I have little time to spend working through the booklets until middle of next week *tuts at bad layout of exams*.

So who else is doing this module? How do you find it?

ReputationRep:
    I think this exam shouldn't be so bad, really. If you can write, it's okay; if you can't, maybe not.

I need to go into school to pick up my material soon!

ReputationRep:
    i'm going to get it now!

ReputationRep:
    Got it!

Ibiza (hmm...) and Grace Darling (hmm...)

Looking at the paper, although I know little about Grace Darling, I did know who she was before I opened the thing. That's a start, no? I loathe travel guides and articles, so I'm wary of the Ibiza booklet. Of course I'll study them both, but that's an initial reaction.
    I liked the Glastonbury thing I did for the mock. Ah well.

What do you all think might be asked of us for each pack? I can only think of travel guides (ie: Lonely Planet) and articles for the Ibiza one.
    As for the Grace Darling on, it could be a whole host of things. Museum audio guide, children's historical guide, all kinds.

Sharing ideas and discussion can only be good. Hopefully we can collate some unusual ideas for mini practice tasks. God knows I'll need it!

Edi: Forgot to mention that this is my favourite bit of the whole course. It helps to have an interest in the subject matter, and that's not really happening for me this year, but it lets me be a bit more creative. I even go so far as to quite enjoy it once I get going!

Of the entire A2 course, Editorial Writing is my favourite, followed closely by historical language change. I did quite like the coursework too. Language Acquisition is, for me, quite low down at the bottom. It just doesn't interest me very much.

ReputationRep:
    First impressions; burn the grace darling one.

ReputationRep:
    I've been working through the Grace Kelly booklet, making observations. I think I'll be studious and do mini analyses of each text. I was a bit daunted by the Wordsworth poem, but I think using lines from it would add a nice touch to texts aimed at an older audience.

I left my editorial writing textbook at home, but i'll see what that has to say when I get home.

ReputationRep:
    whats the best way to organise the booklet??

ReputationRep:
    Organise it?

I just analyse and anotate it in different ways. Tables, highlighter pens and points of comparison migth be good places to strt. Also mini analyses to familiarise yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Here's a question I've just drafted for the "Ibiza" set:

A broadsheet newspaper is beginning a series of articles about several well- known and popular tourist destinations. The theme of the articles is “The cost of tourism”.

Each article will give a brief glimpse into the background of the country, its highlights and most notable attractions, and the problems it faces.

Use the material provided to write a newspaper article that will both inform and educate the general intelligent reader.

Write about 1000 words.

Give a brief indication of your layout…. [you know the rest!]

Adam

ReputationRep:
    I really don't find the Ibiza data set very accessible at all. Mountains of repetition, each one giving slightly different accounts.

I know nothing about Grace Darling other than from the data, but to me, this is the text I think I'd rather answer a question on.

Has anyone else noted that the vast majority of the texts have at least one spelling mistake?! How bad is that! lol.... I guess the exam is Editorial Writing......

ReputationRep:
    picked up the pre-release material today and it seems alright, I was a bit worried we'd get wadges of rubbish about something completely dull like, I don't know... bridges, or something I was particularly interested in, so Ibiza and Grace Darling is OK.

I'm alright with the idea of preparing, annotating the texts and what have you, but I'm a bit cautious about the exam itself. not so much the editorial writing (that should be easy enough) but when it mentions layout... are we expected to present our answer in the correct layout (say if you were asked to write a newspaper article, would you need to present the thing in columns)? I'm a bit worried about that, and my teacher/s never really made it particularly clear.

not looking forward to language acquistion/change

ReputationRep:
    No, don't write in columns, just put it that you would set it out in columns.

I'm terrified of this exam. I can't do it,

But going through the Ibiza set, (and I'm only on text H,) there is a high proportion of websites, so they might ask us to do that.

ReputationRep:
    where do you mention that you'd put it in columns? the 150 word commentary?

ReputationRep:
    you can mention that in ur commentary, but you would usually just put a note in the margin before you write saying:

(Note to Editor, arrange texts in coloums)

Considering Questions,

I think the Grace one might be something like a guide on her museum,

The ibiza one might be something like a brochure?

The Grace Darling one looks easier because she only did one thing, and theres not much on the texts apart from

She became famous by helping to save some ppl
    she was extremly shy
    Hassled by annoying fans, became a national tresure
    won awards
    died by tuberculosis at the tender age of 25

The Ibiza one, though more interesting, has soo much ***** in it like
    Music
    Birds
    Mountains
    traditions/people
    tourism
    blah blah blah

Actually, in the exam it might be easier to write about the ibiza one because you will have more to say

But so far, the Grace Darling one looks the most accessble

One last thing, From past papers, the exam bord seem to love up Radio 4!

Any ideas on any questions that might be to do with radio 4?

ReputationRep:
    MARYCHRIST

What you do is write it in normal paragraphs and when you have finished draw a sketched lay-out presentation of how you want it to look. Put in any pictures you want to include etc. You don't have to draw them! stick 'em in or label them it doesn't matter! ie. draw a box a write in it 'Picture from Text E here', or, 'picture of beach'

Doesn't have to be neat really, just clear, you can even label your paragraphs like: 1, 2, 3 and draw boxes and write 'Para 3 here'...

hope that helps, any questions I'll try and answer!

ReputationRep:
    Radio 4 could have a programme charting the success story of Grace Darling.

Perhaps with mini-dramas or something of the actual night?

Some form of memorial programme with various speakers... museum/lighthouse keepers??!!

This texts seems to lend itself more favourably towards a spoken text than the Ibiza one does, as people have said before- museum guide, this could be in the form of an audio guide/ presentations to museum visitors or something along those lines....

I prefer the narrower spectrum of possible questions for this one as opposed to the Ibiza data which seems to have loads of possible Editorial tasks....

ReputationRep:
    In the exam will there be one question on each booklet, or will there be a choice of two questions each?

Thanks for any replies.

ReputationRep:
    I think the data is good, if I'm honest.

Big up Ibiza!!! Rock on! Bring it on! I can see myself doing that.

However, I hate Editorial Writing, I find it scary and I freaked out in all the practices. I've not had above a B on any of them. No way ever am I gonna do a spoken text, they're waaaay too hard. Syntopic out of 120 UMS is more important, so I can risk not getting an A on Editorial.

Good luck everyone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tatty)
    In the exam will there be one question on each booklet, or will there be a choice of two questions each?

Thanks for any replies.
    2 set questions for each booklet, 1 spoken/1 written.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! ^_^

I'm glad you get a choice between spoken and written questions as I'm not very good with spoken texts. >_<

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.